Game doesn't lag -at all- but my recording has these random stutters. I am not sure how to resolve this.

cev

So I am primarily an FFXIV player that does recording of gameplay for YouTube videos. I've been encountering severe levels of stuttering/lag/choppiness in some of my recordings recently, to levels where I am embarrassed to release a video. I've been trying so many

Example of stuttering (not as bad as I've gotten lately trying out some various settings):

Example of past footage being super smooth:

I genuinely am unsure what changed, in OBS I had to change a few settings the other week and my footage hasn't recovered since. Can't remember what settings I was on beforehand sadly.

Attempts to resolve:
-Downloaded streamlabs OBS, didn't help the issues.
-Tried to run as administrator, didn't work.
-Tried a whole wack of settings like:

Setting to CQP with CQ level 17, 20, 22. And higher CQ level the quality fell off.

CBR even with bitrate of 40,000 stutters, lags and the quality is -VERY- low.

-tried export to.mov, .mp4, .flv and no noticable difference.

-tried Software (x264), Hardware NVENC, Hardware NVENC (new)... nothing really helped.

Computer Specs and Information:

(I don't see my GPU in these specs. But it is: NVIDIA GEForce GTX 1080TI )

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-9K5NJ1C
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1501, 2017-07-28
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product CROSSHAIR VI HERO
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.1131"
Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 22.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 48.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Page File Space 16.9 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

qhobbes

Reactions: cev

qhobbes

1. Record to MKV instead of MP4
2. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Read about at https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues
3. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene
4. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
5. Update your Windows per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers
6. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode