Status
Not open for further replies.

R A F I D

when i try to record uwp games like forza horizon 3 obs footage comes out laggy and i can also see in the preview window that its lagging but it doesn't show me any warning that the encoder is struggling except uwp games every other games records just fine for me also gears of war 4 has the same issue

sharx

Same here. Preview window lags, recording lags but gameplay is smooth. You can look in the log if your encoder is having problems. How more gpu demanding a game is how more obs struggles with it, while other software a little bit (bandicam) or no struggle at all (action). For the time I use Mirillis action until this is solved, but I rather use obs because it has no impact at all during recording, while action is 4/5fps impact, but recording is buttery smooth.

Xaymar

when i try to record uwp games like forza horizon 3 obs footage comes out laggy and i can also see in the preview window that its lagging but it doesn't show me any warning that the encoder is struggling except uwp games every other games records just fine for me also gears of war 4 has the same issue

Same here. Preview window lags, recording lags but gameplay is smooth. You can look in the log if your encoder is having problems. How more gpu demanding a game is how more obs struggles with it, while other software a little bit (bandicam) or no struggle at all (action). For the time I use Mirillis action until this is solved, but I rather use obs because it has no impact at all during recording, while action is 4/5fps impact, but recording is buttery smooth.

If it doesn't show the encoder taking too long, the issue is most likely UWP game capture.

sharx

If it doesn't show the encoder taking too long, the issue is most likely UWP game capture.

For me it's on all heavy GPU loaded games, but it doesn't make sense only obs struggles on even the lowest settings while others have no problem.

edit: tried it with your new version (1.4.3.7) no difference

Attachments

• 2017-01-12 01-39-41.txt
    240.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Xaymar

Xaymar updated AMD Advanced Media Framework Encoder Plugin for OBS Studio with a new update entry:

1.4.3.7 - Settings Transfer, Automatic VBV Buffer adjustment and Fixes (Hotfix 1)

Another day, another new feature: this time it is transferring settings between versions, so that you will no longer use settings when a change to a setting is made. Since it only just now started tracking the config version, it will only work with settings created between 1.4.3.0 and 1.4.3.5, any other version might end up with broken settings.

Another change has been done to the Automatic VBV Buffer Size, which will now behave much more predictable. A value of 0% is completely...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Xaymar

Xaymar updated AMD Advanced Media Framework Encoder Plugin for OBS Studio with a new update entry:

1.4.3.8 - Settings Transfer, Automatic VBV Buffer adjustment and Fixes (Hotfix 2)

Another day, another new feature: this time it is transferring settings between versions, so that you will no longer use settings when a change to a setting is made. Since it only just now started tracking the config version, it will only work with settings created between 1.4.3.0 and 1.4.3.5, any other version might end up with broken settings.

Another change has been done to the Automatic VBV Buffer Size, which will now behave much more predictable. A value of 0% is completely...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Xaymar

@sharx @BornDownUnder
1.4.3.8 fixes it completely now, if you still experience it drag the B-Frame slider once (if it is visible). If you can't make it visible (it should be visible unless you're using basic view mode), then the preset 'Reset to Defaults' will do the same work.

@sharx @BornDownUnder
1.4.3.8 fixes it completely now, if you still experience it drag the B-Frame slider once (if it is visible). If you can't make it visible (it should be visible unless you're using basic view mode), then the preset 'Reset to Defaults' will do the same work.
Sorry Xaymar & Sharx, was at work for the day and only just got on the PC, 1.4.3.8 does indeed fix both B-Pattern & VBV Buffer issue from dummy recording test to update current log, am yet to test in-game though.

Semel

Xaymar,

I wanted to ask you about the lossless preset. Is it possible to further tweak it to preserve as much details as possible and make it as close to a software x264 encoder as possible details-wise (size doesn't matter) ? I mean via advanced\expert settings)

If yes then could you tell me what should I enable\disable.

Thank you.

PS ANother thing.. Does quality preset in lossless mode have any effect? Should i leave it at balanced or set it to quality? I'd take more details over speed and size easily ;)

Last edited:

Xaymar

I wanted to ask you about the lossless preset. Is it possible to further tweak it to preserve as much details as possible and make it as close to a software x264 encoder as possible details-wise (size doesn't matter) ? I mean via advanced\expert settings)

Yes.

If yes then could you tell me what should I enable\disable.

No. It's different per card and system.

PS ANother thing.. Does quality preset in lossless mode have any effect? Should i leave it at balanced or set it to quality? I'd take more details over speed and size easily ;)

Yes. Quality.

PlebCast

Hi there. First off I wanted to say thanks for this plugin and all the work you do on it.

Works great for all the games I play except one. When I try to stream Overwatch using AMD encoder, the second I hit my start streaming key my computer will red screen of death and restart.

Overwatch is the only game where this happens. x264 works, but causes my Overwatch stream to be incredibly laggy for whatever reason (again the only game where x264 doesn't work as intended either).

I've tried both OBS 16.6 and 17.0 with latest AMD drivers (16.12.2) and latest AMF plugin. Both produce instant red screens of death in Overwatch, but not any other game.

Is this a problem that I should report to AMD or Blizzard?

Semel

Xaymar
It's different per card and system.

I've got amd fury. (the rest doesn't really matter imho, but here you go i7 3770k@4.4 16GB ram). Now, would you be so kind as to elaborate on your first "yes" ? ;)

Xaymar

Hi there. First off I wanted to say thanks for this plugin and all the work you do on it.

Works great for all the games I play except one. When I try to stream Overwatch using AMD encoder, the second I hit my start streaming key my computer will red screen of death and restart.

Overwatch is the only game where this happens. x264 works, but causes my Overwatch stream to be incredibly laggy for whatever reason (again the only game where x264 doesn't work as intended either).

I've tried both OBS 16.6 and 17.0 with latest AMD drivers (16.12.2) and latest AMF plugin. Both produce instant red screens of death in Overwatch, but not any other game.

Is this a problem that I should report to AMD or Blizzard?

I think it's both? Never had that happen to me, so you should maybe try with a clean 16.12.2 install first. Once you did that (and it still happens) report it to both, that way AMD knows and Blizzard can add some additional information for it.

I've got amd fury. (the rest doesn't really matter imho, but here you go i7 3770k@4.4 16GB ram). Now, would you be so kind as to elaborate on your first "yes" ? ;)

No. Like I said it's different per system. You will have to find your own settings if you do not want use the presets I already made for everyone.

@Semel I have an R9 Fury myself. I'm just curious, are you having any trouble streaming at the moment with either OBS Studio or Relive using the encoder? You may want to keep tabs on this thread, if not: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-studio-17-0-0-crashes-with-game-capture.60418/

The game capture bug/crash is going to be fixed in the next patch if I understood Jim right. It happens if you point two game captures at the same game/application.

The game capture bug/crash is going to be fixed in the next patch if I understood Jim right. It happens if you point two game captures at the same game/application.

Oh, interesting. That's good to hear. I only have one game capture in my current OBS profile, however. Could the Relive stream settings be interfering in the same way, though?

Edit: Tried turning off Relive, and I also disabled all of my Display Captures in my OBS Studio profile. It doesn't hard crash OBS anymore (or at least the two times I tried it) but the game freezes for a few seconds and the stream stops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.