Status
Not open for further replies.

Semel

Hey, Xaymar, thanx a lot for all your work and support, man ;)

I was wondering what settings (up to Master level, not experimental features) would you recommend for local max quality\size at QP 18) ? Performance hit is not an issue.

Last edited:

Xaymar

Hey, Xaymar, thanx a lot for all your work and support, man ;)

I was wondering what settings (up to Master level, not experimental features) would you recommend for local max quality\size at QP 18) ? Performance hit is not an issue.

One of the presets (Indistinguishable or Lossless, depending on what your system can handle).

Xaymar

Xaymar updated AMD Advanced Media Framework Encoder Plugin for OBS Studio with a new update entry:

1.4.3.5 - Performance Tracking, Translation Update & Minor Fixes

A new feature is added in this version to the Debug checkbox: Performance Tracking! Performance Tracking allows you to figure out which frames took too long to create, convert or encode - without needing to touch an IDE at all. Simply check the Debug checkbox and the information will be printed into the log file!
Performance Tracking outputs all times in nanosecond precision, so even the slightest delay will be visible. But be careful when trying to figure out why something took so long - it...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Xaymar

Xaymar updated AMD Advanced Media Framework Encoder Plugin for OBS Studio with a new update entry:

1.4.3.6 - Settings Transfer, Automatic VBV Buffer adjustment and Fixes

Another day, another new feature: this time it is transferring settings between versions, so that you will no longer use settings when a change to a setting is made. Since it only just now started tracking the config version, it will only work with settings created between 1.4.3.0 and 1.4.3.5, any other version might end up with broken settings.

Another change has been done to the Automatic VBV Buffer Size, which will now behave much more predictable. A value of 0% is completely...

Read the rest of this update entry...

sharx

@Xaymar
I'm having a lot of trouble with AMF encoder. I've updated drivers to latest and updated the encoder to latest. But in the logs it show almost instant encoder overload (didn't do that before even on same settings). It has a new error in log too: Warning: SetProperty BPicturesPattern failed in AMFPropertyStorageExImpl with return code:0x5

my card is a R9 290x

I really want to know what is causing this because other screencapture software (with even higher bitrate) are working fine, but I like to use OBS

edit: It only happens when I select 60fps, Now I can't record 60fps at even the lowest settings. 60 fps used to work fine when "balanced" was selected.

Attachments

• 2017-01-11 03-11-13.txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Xaymar

@Xaymar
I'm having a lot of trouble with AMF encoder. I've updated drivers to latest and updated the encoder to latest. But in the logs it show almost instant encoder overload (didn't do that before even on same settings). It has a new error in log too: Warning: SetProperty BPicturesPattern failed in AMFPropertyStorageExImpl with return code:0x5

my card is a R9 290x

I really want to know what is causing this because other screencapture software (with even higher bitrate) are working fine, but I like to use OBS

Hmm, for some reason it was indeed unable to set the bpicture pattern.

sharx

Hmm, for some reason it was indeed unable to set the bpicture pattern.
Is this the reason it gets overloaded so quickly?
Anything I can do to manually fix this? or something I can do/test to help you fix the problem?

I tried:
-clean reinstall of amd drivers
-reinstall obs studio and the plugin

Last edited:

Xaymar

anything I can do to manually fix this? or something I can do/test to help you fix the problem?

I tried:
-clean reinstall of amd drivers
-reinstall obs studio and the plugin

Downgrade to 16.12.1, if possible. Otherwise I don't really know why this happens.

sharx

Downgrade to 16.12.1, if possible. Otherwise I don't really know why this happens.
I just downgraded to 16.12.1 but the problem stays.

obs is getting encoder overloaded
bandicam has a sort of microstutter
action works perfect for some reason (bitrate +/-60k)

Attachments

• 2017-01-11 04-36-46.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So may have come across a little bug in regards to the B-Pattern issue, I was under the assumption that it would be tied to B-Frames, have now managed to somehow produce the issue on my end as well as stumbled upon a bug where the log is displaying a differing value than in settings for B-Patterns:

https://gist.github.com/57b2cceca0051831f24320988bed1b0e

B-Frame Settings.PNG

Not sure if you can reproduce, I did however flick through the View Modes one by one looking at the difference to recap on my configuration of the plugin settings as am having some issues with in-game fps whilst recording in Battlefield 4 multiplayer & CPU usage hovering 5-10% higher than usual with fps down ~5-35 in some cases, dependent upon map and player number present... Tested using a helicopter to allow for much larger area of view over the map.

To note: I did not have OBS do an actual game record so did not potentially introduce encoding overload issues, was testing initial CPU performance hit of OBS doing a 'blank' recording for a few seconds and decided to check the log when I stumbled upon both the error Sharx noticed and the anomaly in settings.

Last edited:

Xaymar

I just downgraded to 16.12.1 but the problem stays.

obs is getting encoder overloaded
bandicam has a sort of microstutter
action works perfect for some reason (bitrate +/-60k)
Just chiming in, I have a 290x TRi-X at stock clocks and have no issues with latest plugin version.
Here is my last recording log for comparison... I don't use B-Pattern at all though:

https://gist.github.com/d5d02ffd757af2876e0c93523ceaa81a

& tested with B-Pattern at 3:

https://gist.github.com/028da8cef71c7c7387f8c48d173df34c

Hope this helps a bit for comparison!
So may have come across a little bug in regards to the B-Pattern issue, I was under the assumption that it would be tied to B-Frames, have now managed to somehow produce the issue on my end as well as stumbled upon a bug where the log is displaying a differing value than in settings for B-Patterns:

View attachment 22995

Not sure if you can reproduce, I did however flick through the View Modes one by one looking at the difference to recap on my configuration of the plugin settings as am having some issues with in-game fps whilst recording in Battlefield 4 multiplayer & CPU usage hovering 5-10% higher than usual with fps down ~5-35 in some cases, dependent upon map and player number present... Tested using a helicopter to allow for much larger area of view over the map.

To note: I did not have OBS do an actual game record so did not potentially introduce encoding overload issues, was testing initial CPU performance hit of OBS doing a 'blank' recording for a few seconds and decided to check the log when I stumbled upon both the error Sharx noticed and the anomaly in settings.

Each of the logs shows the same issue, however the SetProperty call itself didn't fail. I wonder if AMD messed something up with 16.12.1 and up.

sharx

Each of the logs shows the same issue, however the SetProperty call itself didn't fail. I wonder if AMD messed something up with 16.12.1 and up.

►But why do I get gpu encoder overloaded?
►A 290x should be capable of high quality/indistinguishable preset on balanced profile 60fps? or am I doing something wrong?

During recording the game runs at a smooth 60fps only the recording gets choppy due to overload

Xaymar

►But why do I get gpu encoder overloaded?
►A 290x should be capable of high quality/indistinguishable preset on balanced profile 60fps? or am I doing something wrong?

During recording the game runs at a smooth 60fps only the recording gets choppy due to overload

Because it's trying to encode B-Frames, something that severely hurts encoding performance. If you can, tick the Debug checkbox and upload a log with that active.

sharx

Because it's trying to encode B-Frames, something that severely hurts encoding performance. If you can, tick the Debug checkbox and upload a log with that active.

preset: indinstinguisable
quality preset: balanced
60fps

Attachments

• 2017-01-11 19-47-35.txt
    402.1 KB · Views: 26

sharx

View attachment 22995

Are you able/found a solution to disable the B-frames? Because in the first log I can't see any overload or dropped frames.I would like to start recording again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.