Random stuttering, tried everything, good PC specifications, looking ahead to end this diabolic nightmare

IEdge

Hello, researching about I realized that this is a very common issue among users. Everyone on YouTube like for example gives you a diferent solution that ranges from the simplest, such as changing the OBS encoder, to the most extreme, such as uninstalling Windows components and/or disabling windows features (in many cases critical for your PC).

I have literraly tried everything on my PC but without success the stuttering simply does not disappear when RECORDING so I will leave my last breath of hope to solve this isue into this post.

Video example:

Logs from last two videos:
PC specs:
  • Ryzen 5950x
  • RTX 3090 ti
  • 64 gb ram
  • OS --> SSD
  • Video folder --> HDD
  • Monitor 1920x1080, 60 Hz
What I tried:
  • Added OBS and video folder to microsoft defender whitelist
  • Disabled microsoft defender
  • Disabled game mode
  • Disabled accelerated graphics from windows settings
  • Every game runs with vSync/capped FPS at 60
  • Enabled global vSync/FPS cap (60) through NVIDIA control panel
  • Disabled NVIDIA overlay
  • Closed possible conflicting programs like Sonic Suite Companion or System Informer
  • Closed EVERYTHING in background
  • OBS - Tried output (scaled) res to 1280x720
  • OBS - Tried every video format
  • OBS - Tried to set OBS process and IO priority as higher (externally)
  • OBS - Changed video folder from HDD to SSD, same result
  • OBS - Use game screen capture instead desktop capture
PC resources:
  • Every record was checked with OBS stat panel and system informer, CPU, GPU and RAM are just fine on each game and recording session, so, resources for OBS to do its job are more than enough even running demanding games like Alan Wake 2 or cyberpunk 2077
1705359251470.png

OBS configuration (tried every encoder combination possible/low and high bitrates):
1705358458889.png

1705358471994.png

1705362109005.png

1705358499880.png

Attachments

• 2024-01-15 18-02-00.txt
    13 KB · Views: 41
  • 2024-01-15 19-22-35.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 39

IEdge

Forget to mention, I also have NVIDIA drivers and Windows up to date, checked every day
Also changed my ram speed from 2666 to 3600, same result

rockbottom

Overall, your logs look OK. Game DVR can be disabled & Game Mode can be enabled if that's what you are recording.
The Scene also should be updated, only (1) Display/Game/Window capture per. Move one of them to a new Scene.

Have you ever been able to get this PC running stutter free with OBS or has it been this way since day 1?

Is this your monitor?

IEdge

I recorded this months ago (x264) and edited in Adobe Premiere, honestly I had not noticed the shuttering until I started recording in car games like Forza Horizon. Unfortunately I don't have anything older than that. And yeah that's my monitor

rockbottom

Not your issue.

You need to test your monitor & OBS at it's native resolution of 1680x1050. 1920x1080 is not even supported.
1705370346293.png

Harold

Change your recording encoder preset down to p1.
P6 and 7 use shared gpu components beyond the encoder chips.
Because you're using CQP as your rate control, reducing the preset will NOT result in a change in picture quality of the video, only the recording's file size.

rockbottom

OK Cool! Samsung didn't do anybody any favors with those model numbers being so close.

Doubt if P1 is going to make a difference. I encode 1080p using P6 with my 3090, no stuttering or lag ever.

Have you checked the support page for your mobo in the last year or so for BIOS/driver updates?

IEdge

Update:
  • I clean my OBS scene by removing game capture, disabled game dvr, then set encoder preset to p1 like @Harold suggests, same issue
  • First thing I did before bios update was disable the trusted fu***ng computing (TMP), same issue
  • Then update bios from 4602 to 4702/AGESA 1.2.0.A to 1.2.0.B, same issue but aparently it is less noticeable, especially when I enabled globally vSync and fps = 60

Last edited:

rockbottom

Nice! In the Nvidia Control Panel, also check Monitor Tech, make sure it's set to Fixed Refresh & Triple Buffering is enabled.

IEdge

Hi man, I tried vsync + triple buffer last few days but honestly the lag in recordings does not disappear, as I said before, it improves a little after updating BIOS and applying those settings but it just does not disappear.

So today I tried something different, I go back to a fresh Win10 and instead of installing common nvidia drivers I chose the VGA drivers for content creators, problem solved even without having to enable vsync and other stuff, just disabled game mode and game dvr.

Tomorrow I will try to test those drivers on my Win11 to determine if the issue persists, otherwise I will stay on Win10 until 2025.

By the way, thank you so much for the help!

rockbottom

YW, that's awesome!!

I'm still rockin' W10 & only use Studio drivers, still running 522.30, the last driver before the 4000 series was released.