Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaymar

Xaymar updated AMD Advanced Media Framework Encoder Plugin for OBS Studio with a new update entry:

1.4.3.3 - Crimson ReLive Compatibility Update

Crimson ReLive changed how the Full Range flag is applied, which caused the plugin to break since it expected another property there. This has been fixed and some log messages have been changed to also result in better readability for users and support.

Notes
There is currently a warning from AMF that can be safely ignored in the log files. Hopefully this will be fixed by a driver update from AMD.

Changelog
  • Fixed: Experimental Full...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The video corruption appears to be mostly resolved now. However, as the ReLive release notes indicate, the first few seconds of video still have corruption. The bottom line, though, is that AMD VCE is usable again with VCE 2.0 cards. Thank you @Xaymar and AMD!

kamild_

Yep, thank you AMD, like a year ago people would say NVidia drivers are much better but now AMD is the one raising the bar!

Jayowend

Hey, so I was testing different GPU encoding options for streaming after the ReLive driver came out. (didn't realize there was an AMF plugin for OBS...welp)

and I came into a weird problem. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the OBS Studio or this plugin, but if I auto-record Overwatch gameplay using the Plays.TV client, and at the same time stream with OBS Studio using this AMD hardware encoding instead of x264 software encoding, I will get 40fps recorded video when I watch the recorded Plays.tv clips. However, using the built-in AMD ReLive tool to stream to twitch, the Plays.TV clips come out at their regular 60fps.

Supposedly this plugin + OBS Studio is better performance wise in-game than ReLive, but I don't understand why it's making my Plays.TV recordings come out at 40fps instead of 60fps. Shouldn't ReLive and AMF plugin be using similar techonology (VCE), so why does it affect my locally recorded clips with Plays.TV that differently (~20 fps change?)

I'm not sure if it's just my system or if someone else can reproduce this. Using latest AMD Crimson ReLive drivers, latest AMF plugin from github, R9 200 series graphics card.

Plays.TV recording at 1080p / 60fps / 15mbps bitrate.

OBS using H264 Encoder (AMD Advanced Media Framework) /
Preset: Twitch / Quality Preset: Quality / Target Bitrate 3500 / Scaled output: 720p / 60fps
^ this makes my Plays.TV recordings end result ~40fps

AMD ReLive using AVC / 720p / 3.5 Mbps bitrate / 60fps
^ this makes my Plays.TV recordings end result ~60fps (normal)

Xaymar

Hey, so I was testing different GPU encoding options for streaming after the ReLive driver came out. (didn't realize there was an AMF plugin for OBS...welp)

and I came into a weird problem. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the OBS Studio or this plugin, but if I auto-record Overwatch gameplay using the Plays.TV client, and at the same time stream with OBS Studio using this AMD hardware encoding instead of x264 software encoding, I will get 40fps recorded video when I watch the recorded Plays.tv clips. However, using the built-in AMD ReLive tool to stream to twitch, the Plays.TV clips come out at their regular 60fps.

Supposedly this plugin + OBS Studio is better performance wise in-game than ReLive, but I don't understand why it's making my Plays.TV recordings come out at 40fps instead of 60fps. Shouldn't ReLive and AMF plugin be using similar techonology (VCE), so why does it affect my locally recorded clips with Plays.TV that differently (~20 fps change?)

I'm not sure if it's just my system or if someone else can reproduce this. Using latest AMD Crimson ReLive drivers, latest AMF plugin from github, R9 200 series graphics card.

Plays.TV recording at 1080p / 60fps / 15mbps bitrate.

OBS using H264 Encoder (AMD Advanced Media Framework) /
Preset: Twitch / Quality Preset: Quality / Target Bitrate 3500 / Scaled output: 720p / 60fps
^ this makes my Plays.TV recordings end result ~40fps

AMD ReLive using AVC / 720p / 3.5 Mbps bitrate / 60fps
^ this makes my Plays.TV recordings end result ~60fps (normal)

Simply put, it's because of differences in using the VCE encoder. This plugin will impact other encoding performance massively due to the asynchronous usage that is necessary for supporting 4K 60 fps recording.

ReLive is way simpler in it's capturing and recording approach and will actually itself go lower in fps if it detects that encoding might be taking too long. Result is variable frame output - not ideal and often for editing.

Solution: Don't use Plays.TV, use OBS.

Jayowend

Simply put, it's because of differences in using the VCE encoder. This plugin will impact other encoding performance massively due to the asynchronous usage that is necessary for supporting 4K 60 fps recording.

ReLive is way simpler in it's capturing and recording approach and will actually itself go lower in fps if it detects that encoding might be taking too long. Result is variable frame output - not ideal and often for editing.

Solution: Don't use Plays.TV, use OBS.

Ahh okay, I see. Thanks for the explanation

iRUSH

What do I need to do in order to get hardware encoding to work again with the RX480? The new drivers with the ReLive feature (which I have turned off) seems to have a bug that doesn't allow me to record with OBS Studio.

Sorry if this has been answered.

Xaymar

What do I need to do in order to get hardware encoding to work again with the RX480? The new drivers with the ReLive feature (which I have turned off) seems to have a bug that doesn't allow me to record with OBS Studio.

Sorry if this has been answered.

Get the latest version? It's literally called ReLive Compatibility Patch

iRUSH

Ok I do not understand how to install it. If I download and install the exe it actually deletes a setting in the recording tab. What's the specific way to install the plugin?

Xaymar

Ok I do not understand how to install it. If I download and install the exe it actually deletes a setting in the recording tab. What's the specific way to install the plugin?

Install it to the OBS Studio directory, not the plugins directory. It should automatically have detected the proper placement if you installed OBS through the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.