Error message when typing resolution into video settings page.

arpdet

Hello,

I have been using OBS to record 9:16 videos without any problems on my MacBook pro. Today I installed it on my Windows Machine, but the video settings panel does not allow me to type in any resolutions that are outside of the 16:9 aspect ratio into the video settings page.

For instance, as soon as I type "1080" or "720", I receive an error message and can no longer continue to enter new characters in the resolution box. The error says "Invalid resolution value. Must be [width]x[height] (i.e. 1920x1080)".

I have tried reinstalled the program, which did not help. When I deleted my settings files, I was briefly able to enter the resolution I wanted, and it worked. But then the error started appearing again. Deleting the settings files again did not rectify the issue. I have tried deleting my profile file as well, which had no apparent effect.

I've included a screenshot of the error, as well as my OBS log. While generating the log, I launched a fresh instance of OBS with only one blank scene, went directly to the settings window to change the resolution, uploaded the log and closed the app.

If anyone has suggestions, I would be extremely appreciative!

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/zHP9JOQepurCjTVz

Screenshot_2023-07-16-00-00-50-95_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

PaiSand

Base canvas is the resolution of your display monitor. So, if your monitor is set sidewide then the resolution must be 9:16 instead of the normal 16:9
Output resolution is the one you change to what you desire. Here you can enter the 9:16 manually, wich in your case should be 1080x1920

arpdet

Base canvas is the resolution of your display monitor. So, if your monitor is set sidewide then the resolution must be 9:16 instead of the normal 16:9
Output resolution is the one you change to what you desire. Here you can enter the 9:16 manually, wich in your case should be 1080x1920
Hey there, thanks for the reply.

I get the same error when trying to change either value, in either order. I did try leaving the base canvas resolution at my monitor's default, but unfortunately I still cannot change the output resolution.

Also, on my MacBook, and on the PC briefly when I deleted the settings folder contents the first time, I was able to change both values. Changing the base canvas resolution, along with the output resolution, resulted in the preview window size changing to 1080x1920 as well, which is what I wanted.

Last edited:

arpdet

If nothing helps, try copy/paste the whole string. The 1920x1080 has no spaces.
I tried copy and pasting this morning, but to no avail. The result is the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing by "no spaces", you mean that I shouldn't type spaces in the resolution string. I am aware of this, however the input box doesn't even let me get far enough to type the "x". Just the first four digits. The error message actually appears after the first one to two digits (10 for 1080 or 7, for 720), and it prevents new characters from being entered after four.

Suslik V

Look, the message you see is not intended to block anything - you still should be able to type normally.

The field, you are typing in, has limited number of symbols that are supported (you cannot simply enter anything you wish, no way).
So, the OBS user usually switches their keyboard language to ENG and then trying to type digits and x character (English).
I have no other ideas here.

arpdet

Look, the message you see is not intended to block anything - you still should be able to type normally.

The field, you are typing in, has limited number of symbols that are supported (you cannot simply enter anything you wish, no way).
So, the OBS user usually switches their keyboard language to ENG and then trying to type digits and x character (English).
I have no other ideas here.
Hmm, that's odd. The message appears at the same moment the boxes stop accepting new characters. My keyboard layout is set to English, however I haven't gotten as far as entering any non-numerical characters into either box, since the software prevents me from typing more than the first four characters ("1080").

One thing I did notice is that when I delete my settings folder contents and re-open OBS, it defaults to selecting "Twitch" as the streaming service. However, the problem persists whether I deselect this in favor of "custom", or leave it as-is. Perhaps this is simply the intended default behavior of a new installation, but it seemed worth mentioning.

koala

That means, you're unable to type "x" after "1080"? The x character, located between z and c on a qwerty keyboard?

arpdet

That means, you're unable to type "x" after "1080"? The x character, located between z and c on a qwerty keyboard?
That's correct. The software stops accepting input after typing either "1080" or 720". The red error message appears at that point, and pressing any additional keys on my keyboard (including "x") does nothing. If I delete the characters from the boxes, it lets me enter them again but still only up to those values.

PaiSand

2023-07-17_145251.png

It works just fine. The issue it's on your computer. Something is actually not allowing you to write an X in this field.

arpdet

View attachment 95951

It works just fine. The issue it's on your computer. Something is actually not allowing you to write an X in this field.
Well, yeah it's definitely an issue with something on my computer. As I mentioned in my post, everything works perfectly on my MacBook.

However, on my PC, doing everything the same way doesn't work just fine. That's why I posted here asking for help. :)

arpdet

If nothing helps, try copy/paste the whole string. The 1920x1080 has no spaces.
Hey, just wanted to let you know that for some reason (for the time being), pasting the resolution now works. Thank you for the suggestion. I still don't understand why this didn't work previously, but glad I'm at least able to finishing getting my scenes set up. Thanks again

arpdet

Welp. At least someone knows what my pc is going throw now. I’ve tried everything mentioned no luck.
I was losing my mind over this, because I couldn't seem to find a single other person on this planet that was having the issue. I don't know why, but eventually copying and pasting the resolution started to work. I still can't type resolutions directly, but I am able to paste them in successfully. This definitely did not work the first several times I tried it, but since it started working, it's been a consistent solution. Have you tried this?