Audio Monitor

Audio Monitor 0.8.5

Perhaps I am missing something, but as nice as Audio Monitor appears to be, I cannot seem to make use of it for a specific function.

I have a custom live captioning tool that runs in a Chrome browser, and normally will only hear the default mic on the PC.

However, if I use Voicemeeter, I can get the live captioning tool to hear the system audio (that contains the audio from another Chrome browser window, or a Zoom meeting, etc.) as well as the default mic.

Is there a way to mix/merge/route audio sources and elimiate the need for Voicemeeter?

GODRaigeki

Maybe i dont understand something, but since i updated this and obs im getting out of sync after a short time.
The hardest part was after 1 hour monitoring the sound of a browser of your choice and a game of your choice. I got a Delay of ~3seconds and got increased over time. If i delete and add the filter for the monitoring again, the delay is gone for a while.

Is there any fix for it?
I know, monitoring will always add some delay. And little Delay is okay - but not increasing delay with more than a small amount of ms... :<

My Setup :
I use the newest OBS Version 28, got 3 Virtual cables.
Gamesound and browsersound will route the sound to 2 Cables - A and B
I use "Audio output recording" to record the cables - here seems to be no delay(or extreme low so i cant measure it)
Now i create the filter for monitoring for each cable.

AaronD

Maybe i dont understand something, but since i updated this and obs im getting out of sync after a short time.
The hardest part was after 1 hour monitoring the sound of a browser of your choice and a game of your choice. I got a Delay of ~3seconds and got increased over time. If i delete and add the filter for the monitoring again, the delay is gone for a while.
That's not related to this, is it?:

TL,DR: Try messing with the source mutes.

I have an external mixer that feeds a finished signal to OBS to pass through, so I can afford to have three global copies of the same line input. One only goes to the stream, and the other two only go to my headphones via OBS's Monitor output. Of the two 'phone copies, one is stereo like the stream, and the other is mono, and I have a pair of hotkeys set up to mute one and unmute the other. So without disturbing the stream, I can make sure that the mix that OBS actually gets, works both ways.

When I hit those hotkeys, which mutes/unmutes the sources, whatever delay I had in the 'phones goes away, and it's back in sync. The stream doesn't have that problem, so it doesn't need a solution.

Of course, that should only be a temporary workaround until the problem no longer exists, but maybe it can get you going?

GODRaigeki

That's not related to this, is it?:

TL,DR: Try messing with the source mutes.

I have an external mixer that feeds a finished signal to OBS to pass through, so I can afford to have three global copies of the same line input. One only goes to the stream, and the other two only go to my headphones via OBS's Monitor output. Of the two 'phone copies, one is stereo like the stream, and the other is mono, and I have a pair of hotkeys set up to mute one and unmute the other. So without disturbing the stream, I can make sure that the mix that OBS actually gets, works both ways.

When I hit those hotkeys, which mutes/unmutes the sources, whatever delay I had in the 'phones goes away, and it's back in sync. The stream doesn't have that problem, so it doesn't need a solution.

Of course, that should only be a temporary workaround until the problem no longer exists, but maybe it can get you going?
You mean i should mute/unmute the WHOLE source (sound source in the mixer part of obs)?
That would be bad for the stream - even only one interval.

I only wanted to create a good Stream where i can handle the sound for the audience and my sound seperatly because i.e. gamesound is too low in OBS if i just put the sound on the level which i need on my headset (You know, my game doesnt need to be that load, but OBS gets nearly no sound then)

And before upgrading from 26.X to 27 / 28 everything worked in this setup.
An because it seems to be only MONITORING issue, i thought it could be the plugin which got a problem with sync-problems

AaronD

You mean i should mute/unmute the WHOLE source (sound source in the mixer part of obs)?
That would be bad for the stream - even only one interval.
Yes. But since the stream doesn't have that problem, it's possible to have another copy (as long as you don't run out of global sources), so that you can "blink" the monitoring copy and NOT the streaming one.

It also doesn't take very much. Simply the act itself of changing the mute state, is what triggers the reset, so someone in that github thread made a script that does it fast enough that you have to *try* to notice. Still don't want to do it on the stream though, so you still want the separate monitoring copy if you can afford it, and only "blink" that.

If you look closely at the reports, you'll notice that they don't mention this plugin at all. I don't either. It's not the plugin's fault; it's OBS itself.

I only wanted to create a good Stream where i can handle the sound for the audience and my sound seperatly because i.e. gamesound is too low in OBS if i just put the sound on the level which i need on my headset (You know, my game doesnt need to be that load, but OBS gets nearly no sound then)
The obvious volume controls only go down, not up, as I'm sure you're aware, but the filters also include Gain. That one does go up, as well as down. So maybe you can turn the game down to where your ears like it, and then use the Gain filter to bring it back up in OBS?

Just don't overdo it. :-) If you exactly fill the meter, that's fine, and probably what your audience expects anyway because that's become the standard for broadcast of any kind, but if you go over, at all, then it sounds bad in a hurry!

You also have a Compressor in there, that (quickly) turns itself down when its input goes above some threshold. You can set that up to bring out the quiet parts of the game without the louder parts being too loud. (If the game needs that. It's also going to take some tweaking to make it sound like it's simply "better behaved" instead of being processed.) If you do use a Compressor, then it also includes a Gain at its output, so if the input isn't too far down, you might just use that and not need an explicit Gain at the front. And you might put a Limiter at the end (bottom) of the chain as a "safety net", in case you overdo it earlier.
The names of those filters are the same as what the pro audio world calls them, so you can look up a TON of tutorials that way, of varying quality and match to your way of thinking.

(I'm really an audio guy. I built this rig a few years ago and still enjoy running it:
Video and streaming came later for me.)

Anapxist

Hello
Can sombody send me link for old version of Audio Monitor for OBS 27, i can't upgrade OBS now and last version dont show at OBS after installation.

Perhaps I am missing something, but as nice as Audio Monitor appears to be, I cannot seem to make use of it for a specific function.

I have a custom live captioning tool that runs in a Chrome browser, and normally will only hear the default mic on the PC.

However, if I use Voicemeeter, I can get the live captioning tool to hear the system audio (that contains the audio from another Chrome browser window, or a Zoom meeting, etc.) as well as the default mic.

Is there a way to mix/merge/route audio sources and elimiate the need for Voicemeeter?

BUMP.

uuoocl

The steps below fixed the crackling sound issue and reduced sync latency for me in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

1. Open the Task Manager as an administrator (right-click in Start Menu then Run as Administrator)
2. Select the "Details" tab along the top
3. Find the "audiodg.exe" process and right-click it (note: if you can't see this process, you haven't opened the Task Manager as an administrator, go back to step 1).
4. Set the priority of "audiodg.exe" to "High"
5. Set the affinity of "audiodg.exe" to a single core e.g. CPU 2

The instructions come from youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HrZfR_Fro

CodeYan

It would be useful if you can add buses, so that instead of selecting an audio device in the filter, we can select a bus, which we can edit later on. So that if we decided to edit the bus device, we only have to edit it once, rather than go through all audio monitor filters and replace the device. Sorta like the buses in vMix.

BUMP.

AaronD

Can you not send multiple things to the same destination? Or are you really asking about sending *anything* from OBS to another app? It sounds like you're asking about the first, but I suspect it's really the second. But you haven't actually said that yet.

Inter-application audio requires a loopback of some kind. One application sends to an output, another app listens to an input, and neither is aware or cares that that input is a software-copy of that output. Voicemeeter on Windows is a loopback, with possibly some processing along the way depending on which version you have. JACK on Linux is essentially a much more configurable loopback without the processing. And of course there are others on both platforms as well. And Mac has some too.

Sure, it would be *possible* to include a loopback directly in OBS or in a plugin, but why bother when there are already a bunch of them to choose from that work just fine?

Andrew710

Hi! I'm having a hard time installing this plugin. I'd really appreciate any help!

Here's my issue:
I've done both the installer and the manual way of going into the folders and installing the extracted zip files into the correct places. After multiple restarts of the program and even my PC, it won't show in the software. I am sure I've done all of the correct steps, but I'm just not getting anywhere. I have tried with a different plugin and got the same outcome.

System:
OBS 64 Bit.jpg
OBS 32bit.jpg
OBS Data.jpg
Audio Filters.jpg

willis_007

Really really really thank you for this awesome plug-in.
Now, the commentators on our live can hear each other :).
Top and again, really thank you :) !!!

CodeYan

Since the captioning tool uses a mic, it is not possible to not use Voicemeeter or any virtual cable, which provides a mic. You can not send audio to a physical mic, hence why virtual cables exist. Now, for your function, you don't need to have Voicemeeter open. Just use the cables without voicemeeter and it will work fine.

Since the captioning tool uses a mic, it is not possible to not use Voicemeeter or any virtual cable, which provides a mic. You can not send audio to a physical mic, hence why virtual cables exist. Now, for your function, you don't need to have Voicemeeter open. Just use the cables without voicemeeter and it will work fine.

@CodeYan — I tried using just a cable, but could not get the functionality I needed… I’ll try it again, though!