Audio Monitor

Audio Monitor 0.8.5

OtterNas3n

Since upgrade to OBS 28.1.2 and plugin version 0.8.2
Some Meters are not showing on start of OBS.

Only the ones that have active sounds playing on startup will show the Meter.

The ones that do not show, can only be reviuced, if you play a sound on that source, then deactivate --> reactivate the source.

Issue here is, if that source is a "Global Audio Device" from OBS, you can only make it show up by deselect --> reselect the device in the OBS settings.
This will remove all Filters, and other settings, for that specific Device/Source - So not a option.

@Exeldro Is this in the "investigating" status already?

Attachments

• 2023-01-06 16_44_18-OBS 28.1.2 (64-bit, windows) - Portable Mode - Profile_ EDITOR test - Scen...png
    2023-01-06 16_44_18-OBS 28.1.2 (64-bit, windows) - Portable Mode - Profile_ EDITOR test - Scen...png
    17.6 KB · Views: 56

Leachy

Has anyone attempted to upgrade to OBS version 29.0 and had any issues with the plugin? I'd prefer to wait on upgrading to 29 if people have had problems. Any news?

HarryS

This most useful plugin seems to work as it should with OBS 29 on Windows 11 computer. The only frustrating issue is that the plugin does not remain active on a new start up. I have to change something in the plugin, then change it back, and then it works perfectly. I would like to know if anyone has found a solution to this little annoyance.

scheerjl

This most useful plugin seems to work as it should with OBS 29 on Windows 11 computer. The only frustrating issue is that the plugin does not remain active on a new start up. I have to change something in the plugin, then change it back, and then it works perfectly. I would like to know if anyone has found a solution to this little annoyance.
I am dealing with the same issue. To get it to work on startup I need to open each audio monitor filter, reset to defaults, and set the correct values. This makes it harder for volunteers (I'm using OBS in a Church setting) to operate. This problem is not new to the most recent versions. I ran into this with the version for OBS 27.

scheerjl

I am dealing with the same issue. To get it to work on startup I need to open each audio monitor filter, reset to defaults, and set the correct values. This makes it harder for volunteers (I'm using OBS in a Church setting) to operate. This problem is not new to the most recent versions. I ran into this with the version for OBS 27.
Are others seeing this issue? It does this consistently each time I start OBS. Otherwise the plugin works quite well.

Yantor

Awesome plugin, but unfortunately I can't remove the desync.
I stream singing some music and really need it to be in sync with my mic, however, the more effects I add, the more out of sync it gets.
It helps that you can move the Sync bar up, but it would be cool if you could move it down as well, to negative numbers, that's my problem atm!

Keep up the great work man!

steelwillj

Are others seeing this issue? It does this consistently each time I start OBS. Otherwise the plugin works quite well.
Not sure if it's the same issue, but I'm seeing something similar. The audio output works for me on startup but the volume/mute controls aren't linked to the source until I jiggle the volume slider in the audio monitor filter properties. I noticed this after moving to my Win11/OBS29 setup but just confirmed it's also an issue on my (very) old system with Win7/OBS27.

This seems to specifically be an issue for me on my global mic sources, I have a desktop audio capture added to a scene with audio monitor mute linked to deactivated from the main view and that works properly from program startup. I just thought to test on a global desktop source and that showed the same behavior as my mic, so it seems like using scene specific sources gets around what's going on with the global ones.

I'm also having the issue with missing audio meters. This isn't an issue on the Win7/OBS27 system which should also be still running whatever plugin version was current to OBS 27.2.4.

AaronD

Awesome plugin, but unfortunately I can't remove the desync.
I stream singing some music and really need it to be in sync with my mic, however, the more effects I add, the more out of sync it gets.
It helps that you can move the Sync bar up, but it would be cool if you could move it down as well, to negative numbers, that's my problem atm!

Keep up the great work man!
Every signal processor adds some delay, or latency, even analog! Digital is more so, so that you actually notice. That noticing is usually in the form of parallel streams with different processing not lining up, which creates a comb filter when they mix back together, but when you add the concept of a buffer, so that a multitasking system can do something else for a while and not drop samples, it becomes perceptible as an actual delay.

People who work with audio on a regular basis with "serious" tools for the job, already know about the inherent delay in processing. Most DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation) and physical digital consoles have "latency compensation", which looks at the total latency of each chain of plugins and intentionally delays everything by different amounts so that it all lines up again.

As you might imagine, that gets to be complicated in a hurry, so the lower end of things doesn't bother. The Behringer X32 and X-Air series, for example, don't, which leads to the rule of not using their effects processors for parallel processing where you want the parallel path to stay clear. (reverb is not clear, for a common example, so the rule doesn't apply) I'm pretty sure that OBS doesn't either.

The workaround is to set up two identical paths through the processing, and set one to do nothing, which leaves only the delay. (you don't have to run the entire band through the "dummy" side, only the tightly correlated stuff) I don't think that's what you're describing though, as it's not a long enough delay to be noticeable as such. It just sounds "off" until you realize that that's what's happening and fix it.

Negative sync, if you look at what the sync actually does, is essentially predicting the future. It might be faked to an extent, by reducing the buffer (positive sync adds more buffer), but that risks dropping samples while the multitasking system is doing something else.

Or, it might be faked by adding a sync delay (more buffer) to everything else. That also gets to be complicated in a hurry, so you'll probably have to do that manually as well...and it still doesn't work if you're using it as a foldback monitor for yourself.

If you want a foldback with effects, then you might look using external physical processing of some kind (analog or digital), that is designed specifically and only for audio, take your foldback from there, and feed it into OBS as an unchanged passthrough.

Last edited:

ath0rus

I would love to see support for stream deck + dials added. Even if it was the ability to set custom hotkeys for Volume up, Down and Mute

dberlind

Hi @Exeldro. I'm new to OBS and pretty excited about using this but am bumping into some trouble that I'm hoping you can resolve. I read through many comments but mainly see references to the Windows version. I'm running Mac (M1) and the latest version of OBS (29.0.2). My end goal is to be able output application audio to Zoom so that I can do something as simple as play a YouTube video to the people on a Zoom call. Routing window video through the virtual camera was pretty straight forward. But I've had a tough time with audio. There's a video on YouTube where the presenter shows how to do it by using a VB Cable and Audio Monitor. But it's not working. I don't expect any help on VB Cable unless someone here knows how to set it up on Mac. But when I install Audio Monitor as a filter on OBS Desktop Audio, I am not getting the mixer window. All I'm seeing is the window presented below. Maybe we can start there. Thank you in advance.

HarryS

On the Audio Monitor window:
For Device, use the drop down menu to select VB Cable Input
Tick the two boxes for "Locked" and "Volume linked to source volume"
For Mute, select Linked to source muting.
Press Close

In Zoom select as the microphone "VB Cable Output"

This should work.

It is helpful on the main OBS screen to select Docks>Audio Monitor. This gives a small window which shows the audio using the virtual cable. The settings recommended above will cause the fader in this window to exactly match that in the main OBS Audio Mixer, and when the main Audio Mixer is muted, so will be the audio sent to Zoom.

Divade011

Kinda throwing this where ever I can.
I'm getting like a full second of delay on the plugin, even if running obs for a couple minutes. while streaming I tried using it and it was like 2 seconds behind.
what was weird is that Audio monitor wasn't /that/ delayed. and isn't at all since installing a script to turn off and on an audio source to refresh the delay.

any thoughts on why this occurs? I'll try searching if the hz/bitrate thing of my stream and audio is the same in a minute.

Analyzer brought up:
Audio buffering hit the maximum value. This is an indicator of very high system load, will affect stream latency, and may even cause individual audio sources to stop working. Keep an eye on CPU usage especially, and close background programs if needed.

Occasionally, this can be caused by incorrect device timestamps. Restart OBS to reset buffering.

Source affected (potential cause):
SB Sound FX

ddflink

Hi Exeldro, I am using Audio Monitor with Virtual Cables A&B, sending mic (Cable A) and PC video sound (Cable B) filtered through VCable A to Zoom as my mic. The issue i am having, is even if the mic or PC video sound isn't part of the scene, since the audio monitor is connecting the audio sources to VCable A and that is Zoom's mic, they come through zoom. please advise if there's a way for the scene to determine what is filtered to Zoom

Divade011

Hi Exeldro, I am using Audio Monitor with Virtual Cables A&B, sending mic (Cable A) and PC video sound (Cable B) filtered through VCable A to Zoom as my mic. The issue i am having, is even if the mic or PC video sound isn't part of the scene, since the audio monitor is connecting the audio sources to VCable A and that is Zoom's mic, they come through zoom. please advise if there's a way for the scene to determine what is filtered to Zoom
It sounds like Zoom is grabbing the Mic before it goes through OBS, and not after, does this sound right?

(you may already know the following but I'll describe jic) I think you wan to have the mic direct into obs (not attached to a VAC), setup any sources you want to hear on a track, and then set where you want that track of audio to go (for example to your VAC A. Then you can have Zoom grab VAC A.

mattsmac

It sounds like Zoom is grabbing the Mic before it goes through OBS, and not after, does this sound right?

(you may already know the following but I'll describe jic) I think you wan to have the mic direct into obs (not attached to a VAC), setup any sources you want to hear on a track, and then set where you want that track of audio to go (for example to your VAC A. Then you can have Zoom grab VAC A.
I'm having this issue as well. It seems the issue is that the Audio Monitor filter gives you the option to mute with the source "SourceMuted" or mute when not active "NotActiveOutput". If you set it to "NotActiveOutput", it will mute when you switch to a scene that doesn't have that audio source, then it won't send that audio to the virtual cable. The trouble is, however, if you have it set that way and want to mute it on a scene that has that source, you need to either switch the option in the filter properties, disable that audio source temporarily, or mute it in the AudioMonitor dock.

I'd like to make a suggestion for a future version to have the option to use "SourceMuted" and "NotActiveOutput" simultaneously, or have the source muted just be linked to the source volume, such that muting the source is the same as setting the source volumne to -infinity for the sake of the Audio Monitor. I had assumed it was working this way all along, until last week when I saw that my connection was still sending audio to Zoom via the virtual cable even though I had the source muted.

ddflink

TY. I was advised to remove the audio monitor filters entirely and monitor normally. (Set my audio sources to monitor and set my monitoring device to the cable.) Now Zoom gets my audio through OBS

Divade011

TY. I was advised to remove the audio monitor filters entirely and monitor normally. (Set my audio sources to monitor and set my monitoring device to the cable.) Now Zoom gets my audio through OBS
Glad it's fixed!
Kinda throwing this where ever I can.
I'm getting like a full second of delay on the plugin, even if running obs for a couple minutes. while streaming I tried using it and it was like 2 seconds behind.
what was weird is that Audio monitor wasn't /that/ delayed. and isn't at all since installing a script to turn off and on an audio source to refresh the delay.

any thoughts on why this occurs? I'll try searching if the hz/bitrate thing of my stream and audio is the same in a minute.

Analyzer brought up:
Gonna repost this for help since I'm replying anyway.