Audio Monitor

Audio Monitor 0.8.5

thedocdrey

I need to report a bug that's been driving me nuts for months now, but I managed to track it down to this plugin and I also managed to replicate it.

The bug: Source Audio is degrading in time and crashes OBS if I try to reset the source. Source is the Elgato HD 60 Pro.
The only way to fix it was to force close OBS (alt+f4) and restart it. If I tried to deactivate and reactivate the capture card obs would hang and eventually crash.

On the source I only had the Audio Monitor filter and a Gain filter on. Also a render delay as a video filter. In the audio monitor filter I have "Volume linked to source volume" ticked, and "Mute: Linked to source muting."

To replicate the issue you need to move fast the volume slider of the source up and down, as soon as you let go the source audio is distorted and will not come back to normal.

Let me know if you need anything else to replicate the issue and I hope you can fix it as this plugin is really really useful to me, but this bug renders it unusable.

On another note both options "Volume linked to source volume" ticked, and "Mute: Linked to source muting." need to have their values changed to something else and then back at every start of OBS in order for the change to take effect. This needs to be done on every source that has the filter on.

Otter

The early versions of this plug-in were unstable on a Mac running v27. Is there anyone running the latest version of this plug-in on a Mac under v28? Have you seen any issues. I am planning to put this in a production environment so I would like to know of any issues regardless of how minor. Thanks.

harshanlal

Updated to OBS 28 and the newest version of Audio Monitor today and I'm having a weird issue I'd not noticed before. Stuff I monitor gets super choppy when I adjust the monitor volume. Only way to fix it is to either delete the filter and add it again (which also resets volume to 100%, so it messes up again as soon as I adjust), or to restart OBS. I haven't had the chance to stress test and see if anything else causes the problem to start, but adjusting monitor volume definitely does.
Same here on macOS

adamrandazzo

To those having issues with the Mac verson on obs >28
Go to /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins and remove the audio monitor plugin then re-install. This worked for me and now it shows again as a filter.

Leachy

I'm having two issues with this since the update to OBS 28 and plugin version 0.8.1. The first is the same issue that others have talked about where moving the monitor slider causes insanely crackly popping audio. I haven't tried deleting and adding the filter, but I'm sure that works. I fixed it by fully restarting OBS, however as an esports broadcaster, that's not an option for me if I'm live, so hopefully a fix for this is pushed out quite soon.

My second issue is that for some reason, I'm not getting audio meters showing up in the Audio Monitor mix window for certain sources. For some reason, I've got them for my game audio sources and my virtual audio cables that I use for background music, but for my commentators where I use VDO Ninja as a browser source, I don't have audio meters. Audio is coming into OBS, and the sliders do work properly to control the audio because the "Track 1" meter is working properly in terms of showing me the audio level of the entire broadcast, but I just don't have the audio meter visible in the actual window.
Audio Monitor Issue.png

You can see that the Caster 1 and Caster 2 browser sources don't have the meter (it's not because the monitor is muted, I've tried that). Weirdly, the "TM Audio" source also doesn't have a meter.

If I go to the Audio Mixer tab to view the standard built-in mixer in OBS, I do have the meters there, however it's very annoying and disruptive to my workflow to have to flip back and forth between tabs when we should be able to just have everything in that single window.

Very much looking forward to a fix for this stuff, or maybe someone in here has some kind of fix for the time being.

Leachy

I'm having two issues with this since the update to OBS 28 and plugin version 0.8.1. The first is the same issue that others have talked about where moving the monitor slider causes insanely crackly popping audio. I haven't tried deleting and adding the filter, but I'm sure that works. I fixed it by fully restarting OBS, however as an esports broadcaster, that's not an option for me if I'm live, so hopefully a fix for this is pushed out quite soon.

My second issue is that for some reason, I'm not getting audio meters showing up in the Audio Monitor mix window for certain sources. For some reason, I've got them for my game audio sources and my virtual audio cables that I use for background music, but for my commentators where I use VDO Ninja as a browser source, I don't have audio meters. Audio is coming into OBS, and the sliders do work properly to control the audio because the "Track 1" meter is working properly in terms of showing me the audio level of the entire broadcast, but I just don't have the audio meter visible in the actual window.View attachment 87671
You can see that the Caster 1 and Caster 2 browser sources don't have the meter (it's not because the monitor is muted, I've tried that). Weirdly, the "TM Audio" source also doesn't have a meter.

If I go to the Audio Mixer tab to view the standard built-in mixer in OBS, I do have the meters there, however it's very annoying and disruptive to my workflow to have to flip back and forth between tabs when we should be able to just have everything in that single window.

Very much looking forward to a fix for this stuff, or maybe someone in here has some kind of fix for the time being.
Update to this, here is an example of what happens to the audio when it gets really bad. This wound up happening to me in the middle of a broadcast, so I had to kill all game audio and replace it with simple background music. I would desperately love a fix to this as soon as possible, for now I think I'm going to have to downgrade both my OBS version and the version of the plugin that I'm using.

Richard Fendelman

Just downloaded and installed 'audio-monitor-0.8.1-windows-installer'
I'm using OBS 27.2.4 on a Windows 10 laptop.
This audio-monitor is nowhere to be found.
I have one video Source as a Media Source.
It does not show up in the Filter, Audio/Video Filters.
Would love to use it for my ZOOM project.
Please help, thank you.

Barnard17

I had to uninstall Audio Monitor as (on OBS 28) when SAMMI was connecting to the websocket, the majority of the time it would cause OBS to crash. Uninstalled Audio Monitor and the issue stopped. Based on someone's recent review, this problem is happening with other apps that connect to the websocket when Audio Monitor is installed as well

It's a shame because I really love the plugin and it's been vital to my audio setup. VM Banana is my fallback but it's clunky and a relative resource hog.

StudioBo

Basically copy & pasting a review someone left because I'm having the same experience.

Since OBS 28 I have the following problem:
When I move a fader in the audio mixer the sound stutters and OBS crashes after a short time. This happens no matter how the plugin is set.
If I remove the audio monitor filter from the sound source, the problem no longer exists.

Otherwise great plugin, I'm hopping for a fix soon but seeing as how people have been talking about this bug for over a month I'm not too hopeful. I know Exeldro has a ton of projects and just recently got hired as a full time developer so I'm sure this small plugin is low on the list of priorities.

Thank you for all the work you do Exeldro.

chidlom

Just downloaded and installed 'audio-monitor-0.8.1-windows-installer'
I'm using OBS 27.2.4 on a Windows 10 laptop.
This audio-monitor is nowhere to be found.
I have one video Source as a Media Source.
It does not show up in the Filter, Audio/Video Filters.
Would love to use it for my ZOOM project.
Please help, thank you.
I'm using OBS 27.2.4 on a Windows 11. Initially I installed audio-monitor 0.8.1 and had the same problem as yours. I have downgraded to 0.7.1 and it is working.

chidlom

I can't seem to install it. In the "Filters" menu there's no Audio Monitor. Please help.
I'm using OBS 27.2.4 on a Windows 11. Initially I installed audio-monitor 0.8.1 and the filter did not show up. I have downgraded to 0.7.1 and it is working just fine. Hope this helps.

mauricioadu

I have a problem with the audio monitor.
Update the obs to its version 28. And in the same way the plugin, what happens is that after a certain time and manipulating the volume up or down. The plugin stops working and causes obs to crash and not respond at all.
Help

OtterNas3n

Small issue @Exeldro witht he 0.8.2 update
The Audio-Monitor is now removed from "Audio Filters" and is added on the "Effect Filters" instead.
This broke the whole system now
2022-11-26 15_22_06-Filters for 'D Music2'.png

Exeldro

@OtterNas3n that looks like the plugin did not load correctly. are you on OBS 28 or higher?
Can you see properties of the filter?
Does plugin show loading correctly in the OBS log file?

OtterNas3n

@OtterNas3n that looks like the plugin did not load correctly. are you on OBS 28 or higher?
Can you see properties of the filter?
Does plugin show loading correctly in the OBS log file?
I'm on OBS 27.2.4
Properties are not available
Logs show no attempt on loading
Code:
16:00:00.858:   Loaded Modules:
16:00:00.858:     win-wasapi.dll
16:00:00.858:     win-mf.dll
16:00:00.858:     win-dshow.dll
16:00:00.858:     win-decklink.dll
16:00:00.858:     win-capture.dll
16:00:00.858:     win-capture-audio.dll
16:00:00.858:     vlc-video.dll
16:00:00.858:     transition-table.dll
16:00:00.858:     text-freetype2.dll
16:00:00.858:     streamup.dll
16:00:00.858:     StreamFX.dll
16:00:00.858:     source-copy.dll
16:00:00.858:     scene-collection-manager.dll
16:00:00.858:     rtmp-services.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs_scene_tree_view.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-x264.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-websocket.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-websocket-compat.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-vst.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-transitions.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-text.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-shaderfilter.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-qsv11.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-outputs.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-filters.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-ffmpeg.dll
16:00:00.858:     obs-browser.dll
16:00:00.858:     move-transition.dll
16:00:00.858:     image-source.dll
16:00:00.858:     frontend-tools.dll
16:00:00.858:     freeze-filter.dll
16:00:00.858:     downstream-keyer.dll
16:00:00.858:     decklink-ouput-ui.dll
16:00:00.858:     decklink-captions.dll
16:00:00.858:     coreaudio-encoder.dll
16:00:00.858:     advanced-scene-switcher.dll
(-- i noticed that the dll size, of the 64bit version, was 3.2mb on 0.8.1 now it is 164kb? --)
scratch that it was the pdb file size

Code:
16:00:00.310: LoadLibrary failed for '../../obs-plugins/64bit/audio-monitor.dll': The specified module could not be found.
16:00:00.310:  (126)
16:00:00.310: Module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/audio-monitor.dll' not loaded

Last edited: