Streaming PC has single period of High CPU usage then goes back to normal

dr_clyde_

Hello everyone,

I've had this issues for awhile now and have yet to figure out the exact root of the problem.

I'm running a dual PC set up with the streaming pc composed of a i5 4690k OC at 4.27 gHz and a GTX 960. I can stream for several hours without any issue, CPU usage running around 16-40%, and then have one or two separate episodes where I get the encoding error alert, CPU spikes to 80-90% in the OBS sensor, dropped frames occur, and then the stream / OBS resumes like nothing happened after a minute or two . Of note, I wasn't having as much issue with this until recently when I installed a new Logitech C920s webcam.

I've attempted to switch between NVENC and x264 encoders, make sure my power profile is set to performance, restabilize my CPU overclock, use VLC video overlays, run OBS as administrator, and a number of other items to make sure they were not the root of the problem.

My CPU doesn't seem to even get close to its max temp or drop is clock speeds when these spikes happen, so I'm still unsure if this is a OBS or hardware issue.

I have spent several days searching the internet in the hopes of finding a solution or someone with a similar experience. So far, I have not found a source, so I'm uploading several logs and praying that I can get pointed in the right direction to get this figured out.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 2021-04-08 07-18-30.txt
    39.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2021-04-07 06-57-44.txt
    38.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2021-04-06 08-13-01.txt
    32.7 KB · Views: 18

Lawrence_SoCal

That sounds like another process gets busy and your system gets overwhelmed. whether that is CPU, GPU, disk I/O or ??? can't tell with OBS logs.. and your CPU temp wouldn't necessarily spike.

Are you watching OS processes and see if anything is kicking off in the background? could be security software related, or cloud sync, or a browser component, or [long list]....

dr_clyde_

That sounds like another process gets busy and your system gets overwhelmed. whether that is CPU, GPU, disk I/O or ??? can't tell with OBS logs.. and your CPU temp wouldn't necessarily spike.

Are you watching OS processes and see if anything is kicking off in the background? could be security software related, or cloud sync, or a browser component, or [long list]....

I appreciate the response! So far I haven't noticed anything spike up in the processes when I do notice it. Task manager just shows that OBS is taking around 80% of the CPU utilization rather than the 30-50% it usually does outside of the spike.

Bit of an update too; I've removed some of the complexity of the scenes (browser sources, etc.) which has caused the spikes to happen less, and when it does spike, I have not lost frames you due to encoding or rendering overload which has been an interesting finding. Perhaps this is a start to the right track?