Audio Monitor

Audio Monitor 0.8.5

BurpsInBits

Hello everyone and I hope you're doing well,

I created an account to ask my questions and get help since I cannot, for the love of god figure out what I need to do to set everything up properly with either this plugin or within Windows.

No offence to the creator of this plugin though as I absolutely want to use this to bypass the need of the even more confusing solution that is Voicemeeter (which I've tried... and was never able to understand the slightest after many hours wasted on it which only managed to generate frustration in the end).

Now that I have installed this plugin into OBS, went through every possible "tutorial" (If I can call those like that) I could find online and on youtube to set it up so I can separate/isolate/monitor different audio sources (mainly Discord, possibly Spotify and my web browser later on) on their own separate tracks for streaming/recording purposes, I just am unable to even get started with it as I don't understand how everything should be setup. Nobody properly shows for people like me at least who doesn't understand audio at all apparently how this works with basic hardware such as a usb microphone, 3.5mm audio jack headphones and that's it.

Many people I've seen suggested using the VB-Cable drivers, then again I don't know what to do with those and how to set them up the right way in Windows/OBS. I just don't understand the whole concept as if something was missing to make me go "ahh... now I get it!".

So... I downloaded VB-Cable to try it out and according to what I saw online, I've set the driver to be the default device such as bellow:

2021-07-23 17_00_04-Sound.png
1627074313265.png

I got the CABLE Output setup like this (my headphones are physically connected to my microphone monitoring port):

1627074757391.png

And that's pretty much it... my OBS is most likely setup all wrong, but that all I've been able to do from the various information I found so far, so very little and not nearly enough to get going with it. It's not easy to figure out for someone who knows nothing about audio, let alone separate everything on its own channel.

I do have the plugin installed and I see it through my OBS, I've docked it aside the default audio mixer, but I don't know what to do at that point. In the audio mixer, I've seen that I need to add a filter and then add the audio monitor to my audio sources/devices, but I don't know to what I need to output this to either.

I don't even know if I need to go change the global audio devices in OBS. But this I how I got it setup for the moment.

1627075559390.png

Finally here's what the plugin looks like (Output Slider option is ticked) aside from the audio mixer:

1627076108304.png

Again, since I don't know what to do with the filters on the audio sources/devices in the audio mixer, I just didn't apply it yet on any of them.

Since I will mostly record and not stream that much (but I would like for it to work both ways anyway) I don't know in the end how the tracks should be set with my sources/devices, but here's how I got it setup:

1627076756508.png

Don't ask me why I got those setup like this if it doesn't look right to you as it ain't a particular choice of mine. I don't get how the tracks work either haha.

Thanks to whomever may help me out with this and hopefully I will figure this stuff out one day.

TRAPWANG

I need help :C I wanna use OBS to filter my mic for discord through virtualAudioCable it's just since I only have 1 monitor (The Cable) I can't hear myself and that kills me.

THIS PLUGIN IS LITERLLY Perfect for that (I think) but for some reason the plugin doesn't show up at all no matter how I install it. Any help? <3

Graybeard

Hi, great plugin, it's made my life a lot easier!
Minor problem with muting Global Audio Devices. If I add an Audio Monitor filter to 'Desktop Audio' or 'Mic/Aux' and set 'Mute' to 'Linked to source muting' it works fine, I can see both 'Output' and 'Audio Monitor' muted in the Audio Monitor Dock.
But if I close down OBS with both sources unmuted and restart it then muting either device from the Audio Mixer only mutes the 'Output' and not the 'Audio Monitor'. If I close down with the sources muted I only have control over 'Output' when I restart.
If I open up 'Audio Filters' I just need to switch between 'Linked to source muting' and 'Not linked' to get it working again.
This only happens on 'Global Audio Devices', Desktop Audio brings zoom sound into obs via Cable B input and Mic/Aux is just a mic via Cable A input.
All Audio Monitor filters for media sources work perfectly and retain their status when OBS is restarted.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

awrebels

I'm sure this has been asked before (but couldn't find it), is there a way to capture a master output to use this filter on. I don't necessarily mean THE master output given that OBS doesn't currently have that; but more of a duplicate two track out based on all sources. Obviously I could add the filter to every source but ... i dont wanna :) mostly because I have so many sources. It would be a separate two track out that i would then send to a specific device, in my case VBAN.

Reason in my instance for this is a workaround to circumnavigate the audio buffering NDI audio desync issue. I tested this filter today on the main mic with NDI muted and it seemed pretty solid as I assume it doesn't take into account audio buffering.

Thoughts or other ideas?

Domassimo

I'm sure this has been asked before (but couldn't find it), is there a way to capture a master output to use this filter on. I don't necessarily mean THE master output given that OBS doesn't currently have that; but more of a duplicate two track out based on all sources. Obviously I could add the filter to every source but ... i dont wanna :) mostly because I have so many sources. It would be a separate two track out that i would then send to a specific device, in my case VBAN.

Reason in my instance for this is a workaround to circumnavigate the audio buffering NDI audio desync issue. I tested this filter today on the main mic with NDI muted and it seemed pretty solid as I assume it doesn't take into account audio buffering.

Thoughts or other ideas?
I think you can do something like it. Adjust the settings to set Outputs to show a track (OBS has 6 tracks, normally track 1 is the output going into a stream and others only go into multi-track recordings if enabled). Once the track is shown, you can go in again and set an audio output for it. If that output is able to record audio, you get what you want.

Polyh3dron

To make this really god tier, making it work in conjunction with the OBS ASIO plugin to allow for ASIO audio outputs would make ASIO interfaces actually work. Currently ASIO interfaces can only be used for inputs.

Mrwright79

I constantly have issues with this plugin. Everything will work for a session or two, and then I turn on OBS and none of the audio works, either I hear my own audio, or none of the filters work. I uploaded a log file to show where the issues are.

Attachments

• 2021-09-06 18-06-55.txt
    36.7 KB · Views: 19

michaelc

Hi @Exeldro , I don't know if this has already been commented on, sorry I didn't read the 12 pages of comments... The audio plugin doesn't seem to respect OBS being restarted. If faders in Audio Monitor are turned down, and OBS is restarted, the volume is back up at 100%, but the fader remains down where it was left. I've tested this in OBS 26.1.1 and 27.0.1, same results.

Love your work as always, this just appears to be one of the less well behaved plugins - probably due to the complexity of creating it in the first place??

GrumpyDog

Version 7.0 add mute link options

Currently, one can choose, link to either if source is deactivated in main view or to source muting....

Could you make an option available that will allow for linking both? (As apposed to one or the other)

In other words, if the source is not activated or if the source is muted...

awrebels

I think you can do something like it. Adjust the settings to set Outputs to show a track (OBS has 6 tracks, normally track 1 is the output going into a stream and others only go into multi-track recordings if enabled). Once the track is shown, you can go in again and set an audio output for it. If that output is able to record audio, you get what you want.

Thanks for the suggestion - didn't actually know that was possible. However unfortunately the Tracks 1-6 are post audio buffering. @Exeldro is there any "patch point" for Tracks 1-6 which is before the audio buffering? and is it possible to get that to be output for monitoring?

michaelc

@michaelc that seems like there goes something wrong while saving the settings, do you have a crash of OBS when closing OBS?
No, no crashes. OBS has been super stable for me. It saving the fader positions, so when I restart the fader is still down, but the actual audio level isn't. This has been the case for me with multiple versions of the plugin, and 2 or more versions of OBS, so I figured it was a bug.

SuspiciousPixel

Hi
I watched the video in the overview page showing what this plugin can do whereby I can hear and mute Youtube music at a different volume than what the stream hears. However the guide doesn't show how to set it up, it just magically works for him as he ommited the setup details using virtual audio cables.

I'm hoping someone can point to what I am doing wrong as I cannot control my music like he does in the video. I get double audio and moving the monitoring silder down doesn't reduce my volume.

Hi-Fi cable to monitor Desktop Audio
Cable A to capture Discord
Cable B to capture Youtube

I've attached a screenshot showing my settings. I've been at this for 4 hours trying to understand other videos and trying whatever I can but I admit defeat it's almost 1am and I need your expert advise as my last and only resort.

Thank you
Capture.PNG

First of all, I am going to assume that the output setting of your Discord app is set to Cable A and the output setting of your Youtube player is set to Cable B. Then on your scene input, it should show Mic 2 (Cable A) and Mic 3 (Cable B). This should get the audio from Discord and Youttube into OBS.
Then I would go to your Mic 2 (Cable A) input on your scene, Add Filter and add the Audio Monitor filter. You can choose to direct the output to your build in output (speaker / headset connected to your line out) or choose another output. The same setup should be done for your Mic 3 (Cable B) input on your scene.

SuspiciousPixel

First of all, I am going to assume that the output setting of your Discord app is set to Cable A and the output setting of your Youtube player is set to Cable B. Then on your scene input, it should show Mic 2 (Cable A) and Mic 3 (Cable B). This should get the audio from Discord and Youttube into OBS.

This is exactly how I have set it up

Then I would go to your Mic 2 (Cable A) input on your scene, Add Filter and add the Audio Monitor filter.

I've added the Audio Monitor filter.

You can choose to direct the output to your build in output (speaker / headset connected to your line out) or choose another output. The same setup should be done for your Mic 3 (Cable B) input on your scene.

This is where I am lost. What do I select in the Device option.
If I select:
- Cable B Input
- Cable A Input
- HiFi Cable Input
Speakers (Assus Essence STX II Audio Device) "This is my listening device"

Then I get double audio and no control of the volume. See attachment for my options in Device

Thank you for your reply, see inline for response

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    179.6 KB · Views: 33

SuspiciousPixel

ok I have changed from sound settings from Cable B output so that it listens to a device that is not in use (See pic)

Now I guess the double audio was caused by the fact that the output of cable B goes to my headphones and the Audio monitor was also listening to the same device.

Without knowing the details on how to set this up this I guess is a shitty work around since in order to hear audio from my browser source I have to have OBS running and the audio monitor slider to it's highest setting.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 23
Sorry, I am using Mac so I don't have the option to listen to the device.
Out of curiosity, does that setting work without OBS ?

KyleMcCarley

This plugin, coupled with the ASIO input plugin, is a lifesaver. One of my shows has so much stuff going on that VoiceMeeter was having trouble keeping up, and now I don't need to worry about it anymore!

With one exception: stinger transitions. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to use this plugin to route stinger transition audio monitoring, is there?