Waveform

Waveform 1.8.0

Phandasm

I have a problem with the installation on mac for M1 Pro. Can you help me with that?
What's the issue?

If you haven't already, make sure your OBS and Waveform are the same architecture (e.g. x64 OBS with x64 Waveform or ARM OBS with ARM Waveform).
That seems to be the most common problem on the M1s.

Phandasm

Is anyone able to compile the latest Windows version and toss up here? Much appreciated.
This is the current master branch.
I had to strip the executable down to nothing to get it under the attachment size limit though, you'll need to install it manually and make sure you have a recent version of the MSVC redistributable (x64).

Attachments

• Waveform_master_win64_24f109d.7z
    936.3 KB · Views: 44

BioFUSION

Not sure if anyone brought this up, I added Waveform to a scene just to get an idea of what it would look like there. The audio is set to a VLC Playlist source. For me its blinking in and out crazily. Works fine/smooth with an itunes source, just not vlc.

No biggy for me, just thought I'd let you know. Wont let me attach video file...

Phandasm

Not sure if anyone brought this up, I added Waveform to a scene just to get an idea of what it would look like there. The audio is set to a VLC Playlist source. For me its blinking in and out crazily. Works fine/smooth with an itunes source, just not vlc.

No biggy for me, just thought I'd let you know. Wont let me attach video file...
Yeah, the VLC source does some weird stuff under the hood that makes it difficult to capture properly.
You can kind of sidestep the problem by capturing the "output bus" instead.

BioFUSION

Yeah, the VLC source does some weird stuff under the hood that makes it difficult to capture properly.
You can kind of sidestep the problem by capturing the "output bus" instead.
Ah yes I see, I did come across you saying something about that, but didn't understand it. Thought it was something particular to your setup. Yeah works good that way. weird.

jpugarte1

I love the update from Spectralizer. However, I do miss Spectralizer's "offset" and "padding" parameters in the circular bar graph. Any chance they could be added?

Phandasm

I love the update from Spectralizer. However, I do miss Spectralizer's "offset" and "padding" parameters in the circular bar graph. Any chance they could be added?
Spectralizer's "Offset" can be achieved by just rotating it in the overlay.
Right click->Transform->Edit Transform->Rotation
You can set "Positional Alignment" to "Center" to stop it flipping around while you adjust the rotation.

The "Padding" setting is called "Radial Arc" in Waveform.
If your bars end up really squished, reduce the video width.

jpugarte1

Thank you for the reply. Right after I posted I realized I didn't have the last version of waveform. However, I think rotating the source is not the same as changing the "padding" in some specific scenarios ---for example if the source is inside a group, or if the bounding box gets out of the canvas bounds after the rotation (e.g. the source is near the edge of the canvas and you rotate it 45 degrees). In the latter case, you lose the ability to easily apply image masks that are the same size as the canvas (which is what I needed to do). In the end, I ended up rotating the source 90 degrees so the bounding box alignment stayed orthogonal to the canvas.

Phandasm

Thank you for the reply. Right after I posted I realized I didn't have the last version of waveform. However, I think rotating the source is not the same as changing the "padding" in some specific scenarios ---for example if the source is inside a group, or if the bounding box gets out of the canvas bounds after the rotation (e.g. the source is near the edge of the canvas and you rotate it 45 degrees). In the latter case, you lose the ability to easily apply image masks that are the same size as the canvas (which is what I needed to do). In the end, I ended up rotating the source 90 degrees so the bounding box alignment stayed orthogonal to the canvas.
Ah, I hadn't considered that.
I'll go ahead and add that then.

BioFUSION

I updated obs to the latest version(29.1.2) and noticed Output Bus freezes the waveform now, unless I did something else by mistake?
I tried restoring defaults and making a new source, always frozen... Just FYI if its not something I did.

Phandasm

I updated obs to the latest version(29.1.2) and noticed Output Bus freezes the waveform now, unless I did something else by mistake?
I tried restoring defaults and making a new source, always frozen... Just FYI if its not something I did.
What platform?
OBS 29.1.2 seems to work fine for me on Windows.

BioFUSION

mines windows too, hmm, what could I have done? if I change the theme to like bars, I see it still kinda moves, but very little and only a couple "bars", working atm, but ill try an cap it later to show you.... if I had to explain it, its like the bus is turned down to 1-2 (out of 100) maybe...? though with that explanation i think more bars would move just not as high... so I dunno.

Phandasm

mines windows too, hmm, what could I have done? if I change the theme to like bars, I see it still kinda moves, but very little and only a couple "bars", working atm, but ill try an cap it later to show you.... if I had to explain it, its like the bus is turned down to 1-2 (out of 100) maybe...? though with that explanation i think more bars would move just not as high... so I dunno.
Weird.
Does it only happen when set to Output Bus?
Or is your "Floor" setting cranked up maybe?

BioFUSION

Ok figured something out, somehow output bus is now using my goxlr mix instead of my beacn, the slight movement must have been background sound picked up from the mic... So this is a audio routing issue, so not your issue, unless you know the answer on how I switch it back ;) otherwise dont worry about it, but to answer your earlier question, yeah itunes still displays normally, etc.

BioFUSION

Figured it out...

OBS does this thing were it frequently doesnt show beacn under audio source anymore, and I have to reset the audience/vod sources, discord ppl say its an ID change windows does or something and cant be helped. So it lost beacn and defaulted to goxlr.

Anyways, figured it out, wasnt you, was me, sorry I bugged ya for no reason.

ForceGaia

I'm trying to migrate from Spectraliser, but I can't replicate the effect as the same options don't appear to be available. I've got the old and new overlaid on each other while I configure the settings. But no matter what I do, I can't get waveform to react the same way to the same input or react to higher pitches much at all. Some of the options make no sense to me. Can anyone help translate the options for me?

Phandasm

I'm trying to migrate from Spectraliser, but I can't replicate the effect as the same options don't appear to be available. I've got the old and new overlaid on each other while I configure the settings. But no matter what I do, I can't get waveform to react the same way to the same input or react to higher pitches much at all. Some of the options make no sense to me. Can anyone help translate the options for me?
What effect are you trying to reproduce exactly?

You're not going to get an exact 1:1 replication of Spectralizer because it has a fundamentally different operating principle than Waveform.
Waveform plots a relatively accurate (minus some windowing loss) power spectrum graph and tries to make it look pretty, while Spectralizer takes the FFT output and tries to scale it in a way that is aesthetically pleasing.

Low power in the high frequencies is a byproduct of human hearing, we're much more sensitive to high frequencies than low ones so most audio is going to be "bottom heavy" in terms of raw power.
You can compensate for this with the "Slope" setting which boosts high frequencies, but it's not the same as Spectralizer.

To roughly mimic a 100% default Spectralizer source, make a Waveform bar source and set:
  • "Logarithmic Frequency Scale" off
  • "Normalize Volume" on
  • "Video Width" to 220
  • "Video Height" to 100
  • "FFT Size" to 2048
  • "Bar width" to 5
  • "Bar gap" to 2
  • "High Cutoff" to ~2000 Hz
  • "Floor" to ~-50 dB
  • "Slope" to ~5
  • "Window" to None