Waveform

Waveform 1.8.0

Tormy

here a video where I did use your plugin. When the waveform will be available I will improve the aesthetic since my original idea had to be different, indeed, if the waveform was included

brianhollowayjr

For my M1 Mac, I downloaded the .zip and put the waveform folder in the obs-studio/plugin_config folder and I'm not able to see Waveform in OBS. I've tried both ARM64 and X64 download files, and I also created a obs-studio/plugin folder since it wasn't in there and still no result.

This there a step I'm missing or doing wrong? I've tried with both OBS Studio 26.1.0 and 27.2.4. Thanks!

Phandasm

For my M1 Mac, I downloaded the .zip and put the waveform folder in the obs-studio/plugin_config folder and I'm not able to see Waveform in OBS. I've tried both ARM64 and X64 download files, and I also created a obs-studio/plugin folder since it wasn't in there and still no result.

This there a step I'm missing or doing wrong? I've tried with both OBS Studio 26.1.0 and 27.2.4. Thanks!
Sorry for the late response, the waveform folder goes in the /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins folder.
If you created the folder, make sure it's 'plugins' and not 'plugin'. Also the binaries aren't signed so you'll need to configure your security settings to allow it to run (I think you normally get a popup message about this, if not you'll have to go rooting around in your settings).

OBS 26.1 is too old and won't work, 27.0 is the minimum. And lastly you want the x86 version unless you're specifically using an ARM build of OBS.

brianhollowayjr

Thank you for the response! I don't know how or where to 'root around in the settings'. When I first tried to install the X64 version by putting the Waveform folder in the obs-settings/plugins folder and opened up OBS, I got a security error for 'libwaveform.so' which the computer didn't allow to run with the program. But because there was no way to control click to allow the access on the apple error pop up since OBS was triggering it, I went into the bin folder and control clicked the file there. But after doing that, I don't get any error when opening OBS anymore but the Waveform source still doesn't show.

Also, is there a download link for a x86 version? I'm only seeing the x64 on github from what I could find.

Thanks for helping on the matter!

brianhollowayjr

Got the fix! So just as you instructed after downloading the x64 .zip file for Mac, I created an obs-studio/plugins folder and dropped in the waveform folder in there. When I go the 'libwaveform.so' apple security error, I when to my mac's System Preferences > Security & Privacy and saw the 'allow libwaveform.so' button at the bottom of this window. After unlocking to alter the settings, I allowed the file and restarted OBS to a successful load of Waveform!

Thank you again for your help on providing more information to get to the solution and for creating a great plugin!

Hey there @Phandasm , wondering if I could "commission" your services for a fee to get a custom visualization that could be added to this plugin that's based on microphone input (rather than desktop input). I have a budget in mind but would like to follow up only if you're interested/have time.

Thanks!

Tormy

Hey there @Phandasm , wondering if I could "commission" your services for a fee to get a custom visualization that could be added to this plugin that's based on microphone input (rather than desktop input). I have a budget in mind but would like to follow up only if you're interested/have time.

Thanks!
Here the settings for the use with MIC ...

Audio Sources
1659462155786.png

1659462122580.png

Waveform Visualizer
1659462197839.png

Phandasm

Thanks!
Hi, I appreciate the offer but I don't think I'd have the time at the moment.
And as Tormy mentioned Waveform should already handle any audio input that you can add to OBS as a source (though ASIO requires a separate plugin).

brickster554

Hi, thank you for this awesome plugin! I have two questions.

1.) Is there any way to set 2 or more audio sources as the input for this plugin?
For example, I have a Music source and Desktop Audio source, but I would like the waveform to react to both (Output Bus doesn't work because it includes my microphone). I have to keep my sources separated on different tracks for recording purposes.

2.) Is there a way to have the floor/ceiling levels automatically scale or normalize by volume?
In other words, if a quiet song plays, the waveform can become mostly unreactive, but if a loud song plays the meters can become overly saturated. Some visualizers have a form of "auto-level" or dynamic volume adjustment that internally samples a few seconds of audio and adjusts the peaks on the fly, so that no matter the volume, the waveform will generally appear a similar size between songs. It can be useful when switching between "background music" and "foreground music" for instance.

Assuming the answer to both is no, are there any intentions to have either of these features?
I'm coming from using Plane9, and while it was a good program, it was extremely dated and had a few issues with audio routing.

Phandasm

Neither of those are currently possible, no.

#1 isn't out of the question but it'd probably go on the backburner since I'd prefer not to do the mixing inside Waveform itself.

#2 is something I had considered before and should be fairly painless to implement so there's a pretty good chance it gets into the next version.

Tormy

1.) Is there any way to set 2 or more audio sources as the input for this plugin?
For example, I have a Music source and Desktop Audio source, but I would like the waveform to react to both (Output Bus doesn't work because it includes my microphone). I have to keep my sources separated on different tracks for recording purposes.

2.) Is there a way to have the floor/ceiling levels automatically scale or normalize by volume?
In other words, if a quiet song plays, the waveform can become mostly unreactive, but if a loud song plays the meters can become overly saturated. Some visualizers have a form of "auto-level" or dynamic volume adjustment that internally samples a few seconds of audio and adjusts the peaks on the fly, so that no matter the volume, the waveform will generally appear a similar size between songs. It can be useful when switching between "background music" and "foreground music" for instance.

Assuming the answer to both is no, are there any intentions to have either of these features?
I'm coming from using Plane9, and while it was a good program, it was extremely dated and had a few issues with audio routing.
1.) You instantiate 2 times or more the same plugin, assign to it different inputs. I did it successfully

Last edited:

DJFrANKyEHP

@Phandasm Thanks you very much for this amazing plugin.

I use it in all my 'Streams' as a player before go in live and I love the way it works and how soft the animations it reproduce when playing a music file after good configured. Also love the very much possibilities it has.

NOTE: You are credited as 'Plug-ins Creator' at the credits of my 'Streams' at the end of them. ;)

Phandasm

@Phandasm Thanks you very much for this amazing plugin.

I use it in all my 'Streams' as a player before go in live and I love the way it works and how soft the animations it reproduce when playing a music file after good configured. Also love the very much possibilities it has.

NOTE: You are credited as 'Plug-ins Creator' at the credits of my 'Streams' at the end of them. ;)
Glad you like it!

ThatPOYO

The plugin is really cool !
I miss a "feature" from Spectralizer though, when audio was silent there used to be a "minimum height" from the bars. Do you have any plans to implement this kind of option or any workaround I can apply ?
More precisely, the option to not hide when no audio is going through works with rounded bars, but not with bars.

Thanks,

Phandasm

The plugin is really cool !
I miss a "feature" from Spectralizer though, when audio was silent there used to be a "minimum height" from the bars. Do you have any plans to implement this kind of option or any workaround I can apply ?
More precisely, the option to not hide when no audio is going through works with rounded bars, but not with bars.

Thanks,
There's no workaround atm but adding the option shouldn't be a problem.
I'll add that to the list.

TheFemoDemo

Hey, I absolutely LOVE this plugin, but I have one question! Is there any way to make the waveforms curved down on the left and right? Essentially I am using them above and below my facecam and the flat edges of the waveform look sort of out of place. If this isn't a feature, I think it would be a really good addition! Keep up the amazing work!!!! :))

Phandasm

Hey, I absolutely LOVE this plugin, but I have one question! Is there any way to make the waveforms curved down on the left and right? Essentially I am using them above and below my facecam and the flat edges of the waveform look sort of out of place. If this isn't a feature, I think it would be a really good addition! Keep up the amazing work!!!! :))
Depends what you mean by "curved". You can use the roll-off setting to taper the graph down to nothing at the sides which I think probably does what you're looking for.

stevesagitta

Hi @Phandasm !

First of all, thank you for your amazing plugin. I simply love it! Here is my question for you.

I plan to update my OBS version to the one optimized for Apple M1 CPU, OBS version 28.0 RC2 for now as of this writing (https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases).

I would like to know if your plugin will continue to be compatible with this new version? I don't want to lose your plugin if it's not ready yet.

Thanks!
Cheers from Quebec, Canada
Steve Sagitta