Waveform

Waveform 1.8.0

PacMain

Howdy, I am new here, guys, and I honestly have not even caught up to this discussion, but I see that things are active, and I wanted to say hello. I am going to be learning by following along, here, but I am an experienced developer, and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help if any help is necessary at all (not expecting that, however!)

I have been using Spectralizer for months and I am officially planning to switch to this plugin. So if there are any missing features that I can add, I'd be willing to do that if it helps others switch over to a more actively-being-developed plugin.

Phandasm

Howdy, I am new here, guys, and I honestly have not even caught up to this discussion, but I see that things are active, and I wanted to say hello. I am going to be learning by following along, here, but I am an experienced developer, and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help if any help is necessary at all (not expecting that, however!)

I have been using Spectralizer for months and I am officially planning to switch to this plugin. So if there are any missing features that I can add, I'd be willing to do that if it helps others switch over to a more actively-being-developed plugin.
Hi, and welcome! I think the only major things left (for the moment) are those universallp mentioned, the rounded bars and radial layout.
Aside from that, there is currently no mac build since I don't have one to test with so patches to support building on mac are welcome too.
I expect I'll get around to the former eventually so mac support is the one thing I can't really do myself.

BenAndo

Hello. An added feature that would be great is the ability for the audio source to be whatever the current unmuted audio sources are that are active in OBS. I switch between two audio inputs and having it visualise whichever is active would be great.

Additionally, a simple vertical or horizontal levels bar as a display mode would be nice. Basically something very similar to how OBS itself displays your audio levels in the audio mixer. I'd like to be able to visualise on a scene the current audio levels with a dB scale. It would be very practical, as I'm creating a scene that displays on another monitor where I'll be able to see different scenes and audio meters. I could use the source dock plugin to achieve this but building my own scene gives me even greater flexibility.

Thanks for making this great plugin!

Phandasm

Hello. An added feature that would be great is the ability for the audio source to be whatever the current unmuted audio sources are that are active in OBS. I switch between two audio inputs and having it visualise whichever is active would be great.
Funny you mention this, I originally wanted to do that but I wasn't sure how to go about capturing the output bus at the time.
I'll have to give that another look.

Levels bar should be easy enough though, I'll add that to the list.

zakhui

it keeps crashing while I use the "bar" setting and adjust the size and space between it, weird. may I know how to fix it? it's a sweet plugin for sure

Phandasm

it keeps crashing while I use the "bar" setting and adjust the size and space between it, weird. may I know how to fix it? it's a sweet plugin for sure
I'll have to investigate that, any specific values that make it crash (including video size)?

zakhui

I'll have to investigate that, any specific values that make it crash (including video size)?

sorry for the late reply, I'm using 21:9(2560x1080) for youtube streaming, it's okay at o.g setting but once I adjust the size of the wave and the details of it started crashing after a few mins

and the plugin setting using stepped bars I forgot the details settings, but it started crashing after I adjust the color and the size of it, I just tried to use it, it didn't crash so far but I'll keep on looking, thank you ^^

JoelfromAus

Excellent plugin! Absolutely love the style! I think I've found an edge-case where it causes OBS to crash though. When showing two duplicate sources (not references) I get an unhandled exeption to do with nvwgf2umx.dll . I recently reinstalled Windows 11 and everything else so things should be up to date and relatively un-modified.

I do have a couple of other plugins like move transition and streamfx but nothing applied to this scene. I'm also showing one additional horizontally reversed reference of each waveform. After enebling the second waveform set it crashes within a couple of minutes.

Hope theres a fix because it looks friggan awesome!

Attachments

• Waveform Example.jpg
    Waveform Example.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 68

Phandasm

sorry for the late reply, I'm using 21:9(2560x1080) for youtube streaming, it's okay at o.g setting but once I adjust the size of the wave and the details of it started crashing after a few mins

and the plugin setting using stepped bars I forgot the details settings, but it started crashing after I adjust the color and the size of it, I just tried to use it, it didn't crash so far but I'll keep on looking, thank you ^^
Excellent plugin! Absolutely love the style! I think I've found an edge-case where it causes OBS to crash though. When showing two duplicate sources (not references) I get an unhandled exeption to do with nvwgf2umx.dll . I recently reinstalled Windows 11 and everything else so things should be up to date and relatively un-modified.
Huh, so i have tried just about everything and can't manage to induce a crash locally.
nvwgf2umx.dll being the source of the crash makes me think there is something about the way i render the graphs that nvidia drivers don't like (if it's limited to the bar graph, then probably my use of the index buffer).
Unfortunately i don't have an nvidia card to test with and am not an expert when it comes to graphics so the best i can do atm is trial and error some fixes and have people test them.
I'm also still on Win10 as 11 doesn't support my hardware so maybe that could be a factor too?

That said, here's my first attempt at a fix:

If anyone affected by this issue could try it and let me know if it works i'd appreciate it.

JoelfromAus

Huh, so i have tried just about everything and can't manage to induce a crash locally.
nvwgf2umx.dll being the source of the crash makes me think there is something about the way i render the graphs that nvidia drivers don't like (if it's limited to the bar graph, then probably my use of the index buffer).
Unfortunately i don't have an nvidia card to test with and am not an expert when it comes to graphics so the best i can do atm is trial and error some fixes and have people test them.
I'm also still on Win10 as 11 doesn't support my hardware so maybe that could be a factor too?

That said, here's my first attempt at a fix:

If anyone affected by this issue could try it and let me know if it works i'd appreciate it.

I've given v1.1.1-rc1 a go, unfortunately the same issue. I've attached a full crash report in-case there's information there that may assist.

Attachments

• OBS Crash Error Report.txt
    150 KB · Views: 27

Phandasm

I've given v1.1.1-rc1 a go, unfortunately the same issue. I've attached a full crash report in-case there's information there that may assist.
Thanks, finally managed to force a crash so I think it's actually fixed this time.
Just to be sure though, any confirmation would be nice:

JoelfromAus

Thanks, finally managed to force a crash so I think it's actually fixed this time.
Just to be sure though, any confirmation would be nice:

Works perfectly now! Installed rc2 and tried my best to replicate the crash but it worked without failure!

Phandasm

Phandasm updated Waveform with a new update entry:

Waveform v1.2.0

This one bundles up some user-requested features and minor tweaks.
There are now entirely too many options in the settings panel but here it is:
- Add circular display mode
- Add level meter display mode
- Add rounded bar caps
- Add option to capture OBS audio output bus (all active audio sources)
- Reduce minimum strength of gaussian filter to work better with bar graphs

The radial display is a transformation on the vertex shader so the 'width' will control the number of bars while the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Phandasm

I wanted to ask, is there a way to make the waveform disappear when there's no audio? at least when using the rounded bars?. when using flat bars the lines are so small that they are negligible, but with rounded bars they always become a dot when the audio source is not playing.
Funny you say that, it used to do exactly that but I changed it because I figured people wouldn't want the dots disappearing.
Guess I can make it an option, rounded caps are currently misaligned by 1 pixel so I was going to push a bugfix anyway.

Darkaeluz

Funny you say that, it used to do exactly that but I changed it because I figured people wouldn't want the dots disappearing.
Guess I can make it an option, rounded caps are currently misaligned by 1 pixel so I was going to push a bugfix anyway.
Great to make it an option, maybe some like it, but my "Now Playing" widget disappears automatically when the music stops, so I like it to be clean when there's no music, that way it doesn't distract my students.

Thanks for your hardwork!