SMG now playing

Non-Free SMG now playing 2.22

Azeirah

Ah, okay, I hoped it was probably possible.
Also the exporting feature does not exist in my version, probably because the feature isn't available in my country (there was no Groove Pass service at all here), I plainly used it as a music player for local files since I feel it is lightweight and pretty simple.

Ah makes sense, what country are you from if I may ask? Might be useful to keep that in the back of my head.

Here are a few gifs that hopefully explain how I would set up OBS, SMG, Spotify or others.

1. Downloading SMG
1-download-SMG.gif

2. SMG is done downloading, let's extract it, using built-in windows 10 features
2-extract.gif

3. Starting SMG, place your license if you already have one
3-smg-setup.gif

4. Connecting OBS and SMG
4-settings-up-obs.gif

5. Moving the text in obs around to carefully position it into your design, scene or layout
5-moving-the-text-in-obs.gif

I hope that these gifs are useful for you, you can view these gifs in maximum quality by right clicking any of them and then click on "view image"

Legal information (I, Martijn Brekelmans am not a lawer), I am not sponsored by Nerdordie, OBS, Sublime Text or any other brand shown in any of the 5 above shown gifs, any endorsements are accidental unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Note to OBS forum administrators: I've hosted these gifs on my own webserver, not on yours, so don't be too worried about them taxing your servers

Last edited:

Roshav

Hi all, I'm currently in investigation-mode! Gathering some screenshots and logs from people so I can find out what's going on!

Ah, I figured that was the case.
Can you please send me the following to our support email smg@martijnbrekelmans.com

1. A screenshot of your issue, showing as much information as possible, that is
1a. Your smg window
1b. The music player website you'd like to use
1c. The popup of the extension (click on the SMG icon in chrome)

AND, these are important
2. The two files in SMG's logs folder. Where you placed SMG, there should be a folder called 'logs', open that folder and send the two files exceptions.txt and logging.txt to me.

Please mention your OBS username 'roshav' in the mail.

Mail Sent

Azeirah

Mail Sent
Thank you :)

----------------------------------------------------------
=================================

I'm starting to get a slightly clearer picture of what exactly is going on. I've been sciencing for 2 hours straight, tested this on two different computers, including one which I intentionally reinstalled from scratch and set to Polish language just to stress the system a bit more.

If you want to use YouTube
1. Open Chrome
2. Open YouTube
3. Open any video
4. Open a new tab, something that is not a music player, twitter, facebook, obs forums, your mail, ... are all fine
5. Go back to YouTube

SMG should pick it up now, and it will keep picking up songs for a while.
I haven't explicitly tested this route with other online music players, but it's a start.
I'll keep testing, theorizing and sciencing until I find a few bits of certainty, and I'll then automatically roll out an update to the Chrome extension.

In the meantime, please please please don't have like 15 different music players open in your browser, SMG will get confused or stuck by that after a while.

Last edited:

Roshav

Thank you :)

=================================

I'm starting to get a slightly clearer picture of what exactly is going on. I've been sciencing for 2 hours straight, tested this on two different computers, including one which I intentionally reinstalled from scratch and set to Polish language just to stress the system a bit more.

If you want to use YouTube
1. Open Chrome
2. Open YouTube
3. Open any video
4. Open a new tab, something that is not a music player, twitter, facebook, obs forums, your mail, ... are all fine
5. Go back to YouTube

SMG should pick it up now, and it will keep picking up songs for a while.
I haven't explicitly tested this route with other online music players, but it's a start.
I'll keep testing, theorizing and sciencing until I find a few bits of certainty, and I'll then automatically roll out an update to the Chrome extension.

In the meantime, please please please don't have like 15 different music players open in your browser, SMG will get confused or stuck by that after a while.

Sadly this does not work for me, but i have tried over and over and over again with plug.

YouTube does not work for me as a valuable player, since i use a particular room in plug that can play songs of my desire.

Azeirah

Hey all,

Just released version 1.20 of the SMG Chrome extension, this should alleviate most of your problems with YouTube, Plug.dj and all other online music players, turns out there was a line of code that blocked communication between the desktop application and the chrome extension, it's working smoothly now :)

Japari Park

For some reason it's not working for me when I choose soundcloud

It works fine with players like itunes, but web ones don't.

Roshav

Does the extension show what music is playing? If so, try deleting your SMG/config folder, the config might be outdated.
Still not fixed for me with plug.dj and youtube. I deleted the config folder but nothing happened...

crooK

This tool currently does not work with TIDAL media or browser player. I have contacted the creator through twitter and emails but have yet to receive a reply. I purchased this tool because it is the only tool that supposedly supports TIDAL. So far I am thoroughly disappointed but hopefully the tool will receive a fix in the near future!

Azeirah

This tool currently does not work with TIDAL media or browser player. I have contacted the creator through twitter and emails but have yet to receive a reply. I purchased this tool because it is the only tool that supposedly supports TIDAL. So far I am thoroughly disappointed but hopefully the tool will receive a fix in the near future!

Hey crooK, I took another look at the Tidal Desktop application, I can confirm Tidal doesn't work as intended unfortunately.
As an alternative, the web site does get detected again by the v1.23 smg web extension (should automatically update within a day)

The past few days I worked on making the smg extension<-->smg desktop application stability better. And I added a little indicator light that tells you whether the extension is connected or not. I'm personally getting way way better stability with the most recent version of the smg extension, v1.23 which I just released. You should all be getting it within a day or so.

Still not fixed for me with plug.dj and youtube. I deleted the config folder but nothing happened...

The updated extension, v1.23 should give you a better connection.

For some reason it's not working for me when I choose soundcloud

It works fine with players like itunes, but web ones don't.

Yeah, the web ones keep causing trouble unfortunately :(
The new extension update is more stable.

Last edited:

Ptiwhisky

Any news for Windows Media Player 12 on windows 10? Or the new Groove Music app? They work fine, quality with flac song is still excellent.

And also good job an amazing app that you made, i bought it because your work deserve it!

Best regards.

Azeirah

Azeirah updated SMG now playing with a new update entry:

Release 2.21

V2.21 comes with many fixes and improvements!
  • Fix for MPC-HC
  • Fix for AIMP3, newer v4.5 layout wasn't supported. Works now!
  • Added target installation directory option to setup script
  • SMG will now automatically strip extensions from song names, ie no more .mp3, .flac, .mp4 etc
  • Fix for open.spotify.com
  • Fix for certain soundcloud pages, where no artist would be shown
  • Add support for Jamendo.com
  • Add support for Tunein radio
  • Add support for IHeartRadio
  • Add...

Read the rest of this update entry...

TheEventForumZ

Hi is it possible to switch the title & artist for itunes? As it displays it as Title - Artist instead of the other way round that the rest displays, its just a bit misleading sometimes. For now, I have replaced the ' - ' with ' by ' but I would to have it display the more common way

BDRMrTBag

Kinda getting annoyed with the amount of "Failed to execute Script SMGUI, what is going on why can't I get it to work no matter what I do?

Azeirah

Kinda getting annoyed with the amount of "Failed to execute Script SMGUI, what is going on why can't I get it to work no matter what I do?

Was a mistake on our side, apologies. We had server-downtime, server's back-up again and SMG'll work as expected.

shado9

Hi, I noticed an issue with Clementine where if Clementine's window is minimized, the now playing will simply output "clementine" (all lowercase, like that). Not a big deal to me since I usually keep the window open in the background so that I can grab the album art/visualiser from the window, but thought I should mention it.
Also, is there a way to put a wildcard in the output edit fields? * doesn't work, and it'd be useful for instance as a quick way to switch between "artist - album - track" and "artist - track" formats for different layouts (I replace ' - ' with \n when the output is artist - album - track, but that format is usually way too long for when i want the output in a single line)

Azeirah

Ahh gotcha, by the way, is there a way to remove the foobar2000 v1.3.17 text after the song name?

Hi, I noticed an issue with Clementine where if Clementine's window is minimized, the now playing will simply output "clementine" (all lowercase, like that). Not a big deal to me since I usually keep the window open in the background so that I can grab the album art/visualiser from the window, but thought I should mention it.

I'm working on cleaning up useless output like "clementine", "Foobar ...", "Spotify Premium", "Pandora - advertisement is playing..." etc.

Also, is there a way to put a wildcard in the output edit fields? * doesn't work, and it'd be useful for instance as a quick way to switch between "artist - album - track" and "artist - track" formats for different layouts (I replace ' - ' with \n when the output is artist - album - track, but that format is usually way too long for when i want the output in a single line)

This is something I've been working on for a while, to allow far, far more flexible output than before.
My ETA's run on valve time unfortunately, but I really want to implement this! It's a lot, lot, lot, lot of work for so many different music players :(