glikely

Hi
I used to get this working on my camera using USB serial. After setup on my new rig of fresh pc, it doesnt work anymore :(
Anyone can advise /help , see my attached log.

It looks like the camera address is set to 0 instead of 1. Can you attach the ptz controls config file?

glikely

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since the last release, so I wanted to give an update. There are a good number of bug fixes and improvements queued up for v0.7.0, including ability to set the UART baud rate, improvements to the properties dialog, proper handling of UTF-8 device and preset names, and manual focus control. Right now I'm dealing with a few remaining bugs, and I hope to get the new release out this weekend.

GregPeatfield

Hi Grant,

Love the addition of the Focus! With this version I am starting to see "Stuck" controls again while using the PTZ and Focus controls. I think I saw this back at 0.4.0 or earlier I think when you first introduced the VISCA over IP.

I experienced a little unexpected behavior with the Focus controls. I have been trying to figure out the best way to reproduce it but it is elusive in nature. It seems like at first setup, the initial state of the "Focus" controls are not known. Due to this, altering the focus manually doesn't work until you first select AF. I don't know the best way to set the One-Touch Focus, but currently that doesn't do anything I can see yet when I hit that button in Manual focus mode.

The manual focus is a great addition to the Plugin for those with obstacle in their field of view (Poles, etc.) as well as for simple artistic blur of the screen at times. Love it!

-Greg

glikely

Hi Grant,

Love the addition of the Focus! With this version I am starting to see "Stuck" controls again while using the PTZ and Focus controls. I think I saw this back at 0.4.0 or earlier I think when you first introduced the VISCA over IP.

I experienced a little unexpected behavior with the Focus controls. I have been trying to figure out the best way to reproduce it but it is elusive in nature. It seems like at first setup, the initial state of the "Focus" controls are not known. Due to this, altering the focus manually doesn't work until you first select AF. I don't know the best way to set the One-Touch Focus, but currently that doesn't do anything I can see yet when I hit that button in Manual focus mode.

The manual focus is a great addition to the Plugin for those with obstacle in their field of view (Poles, etc.) as well as for simple artistic blur of the screen at times. Love it!

-Greg
Hi Greg,

Thanks for filing a bug report on the problems you're seeing. I've replied on the github thread, but the short version for anyone reading here is that the plugin doesn't appear to be receiving replies from your cameras, so it doesn't know what state autofocus is in. This might be due to OBS being on a different subnet and the camera not configured properly for the gateway.

Paul G

Hello. As I would be using this in a completely NON-Profit use-case - can anyone suggest the least expensive PTZ camera model that will work with this plugin? Thanks!

glikely

Hello. As I would be using this in a completely NON-Profit use-case - can anyone suggest the least expensive PTZ camera model that will work with this plugin? Thanks!
I'm using second hand cameras that sourced from eBay. This plugin will support both the older VISCA over Serial, and VISCA over IP, so as long as you find a camera that supports VISCA you should be good to go.

There are also no-name PTZ cameras available on Amazon and Aliexpress, but I cannot say whether or not they are any good.

Paul G

No Model suggestions? Not having any luck with google searching combinations of visca rtsp ptz camera. All I get are controllers.

Lawrence_SoCal

There are a number of NDI PTZ cameras on Amazon at the moment about 1/2 price and appear to be PTZOptics knock-offs. Whether those items are 'legal' or not, I'm not sure. Certainly appears unethical copying ... but maybe not. However, the primary one I looked at has a gmail support address. These are fly-by-night operations, with (very) poor English translations, and bugs, and not certainty of getting future firmware updates (ex updated NDI versions).... so, as much as I'm sorely tempted for a 2nd NDI PTZ at our non-profit, I'm not sure 1/2 now represents good value.... As for finding used, last year this time there were wait times for the cameras. So, I wouldn't expect much savings on used (but I haven't researched that deeply). Then again, a serial PTZ might well be available for lower price, but then you have to consider the overall price (as you then will need both the serial cable, as well power, and SDI, HDMI, or ?? cabling, and a capture card, etc... why we went NDI).
If buying used, my approach would be to buy form a Tier 1 vendor, where you can get support (and possibly repairs) if need be
If the streaming PC and a single camera are close to each other and no plan to expend to multi-camera, I'd be inclined to a USB PTZ camera for simplicity

glikely

I saw this mentioned here on the forum so I checked it out. Seems every interesting. OBS is in the large list of Compatible software. Thoughts?
The OBSBot cameras are cool, but the remote control is entirely proprietary. They cannot be controlled with this plugin.

GregPeatfield

Jimcom USA has a few Open Box models listed on eBay with NDI as well for a great and USA supported device, they are a great option.

markdj

I have been trying this out v7.0-rc1, haven't figured out how to use the presets with the scenes and xbox controller just doesn't work. The presets aren't being displayed even though the camera has 4 saved.

glikely

glikely updated PTZ Controls with a new update entry:

v0.7.0

v0.7.0 is out there with improvements all over the code. Now you can configure the baud rate for VISCA and Pelco protocols. Focus control buttons have been added. The dock layout has been shuffled around to make it easier to select presets, and lots of bug fixes. Please test!

Things are coming along quite well for this plugin, and I'm starting to think about when to do a v1.0 release. There are still some key features that I want to get added before reaching that point, such as proper...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Benno Holunder

Hello glikely, fantastic that you picked up my proposal for the dock layout so quickly!
I checked it out immediately and found the size of the area with the control buttons (gamepad ?) shrunk a bit compared to 0.7.0-rc1 so that the buttons can be hit less easy now. I would appreciate if you could change the size of the control buttons area back to the previous size. However, that might all depend on the screen resolution and each user would like to have an individual size adjustment. I don't know how to realize that, but I guess you could make it happen, e.g. with a ratio factor in the settings dialogue.
I am looking forward to your next changes ...

Randle

Thanks for your work in integrating PTZ. The pipe dream for me is having multiple PTZ actions triggered from a scene selection. For example: I load a scene and it automatically triggers a PTZ preset as well as presets for multiple other cameras. The reason I'd want multiple presets triggered is that when one camera/scene is used, I usually know that I will be using the next camera at a defined preset. If it has already been moved, then people won't see it moving on the stream which looks much more professional.

Have you talked to this project: OBS Lua - Control Visca-over-IP based cameras | OBS Forums (obsproject.com)

glikely

I have been trying this out v7.0-rc1, haven't figured out how to use the presets with the scenes and xbox controller just doesn't work. The presets aren't being displayed even though the camera has 4 saved.

Joystick control is not reliable on Windows. It works on some machines, but not all. The while thing needs to be reworked.

Scene presets are planned, but not implemented yet.

Please file an issue on GitHub and give details about the issues your having with presets. Including screenshots would be helpful.