Pick up muted Discord microphone

rosyrobbin

I'm pretty new to OBS and cannot figure something out that unfortunately seems to be a pretty uncommon problem. My boyfriend and I would like to stream together, but we're close enough to each other irl that we can hear each other talk. We however do wanna use two mics to get the best possible audio quality, which poses one big problem: I can now hear my boyfriend double everytime he talks. I've tried muting and turning down the sound of his mic in Discord, but then OBS ofcourse doesn't pick up any sound at all.

Is there any way for OBS to pick up the sound of his microphone without me hearing it while using OBS? (even maybe through a different application than Discord?)

Thanks so much for thinking along!

AaronD

It's tempting to use electronics for everything, but I think the simplest solution here is acoustic isolation. Sit farther apart IRL, put some big foam sheets between you, etc. (pretty much anything will block the sound, but the foam doesn't reverb as much for you locally)

If you really have to use electronics instead, I think you need a DAW for both of you. Digital Audio Workstation, essentially a complete sound studio in one app. In this case, you're only interested in the mixing console part of it, so maybe Voicemeeter would be enough, as a (very!) pared-down DAW:
Pick the one that has enough connections, both physical and virtual, to handle ALL of your audio, in every direction, set it up to do that, and feed OBS with a finished soundtrack as its *only* audio source.
(all of your apps connect to the virtual devices that VM installs along with itself, as if they were physical mics and speakers...except that they connect to VM's mixer / sound board instead)