obs-midi-mg 3.0.2

Funkybassman

I have managed to install this and get it to detect my Alesis V49 keyboard

Ive created a binding and set it up to one of the drum pads on the V49

The action I've assigned is 'Scene Switching' to the desired scene

But when I press the drum pad the scene is not changing

Have I missed a step ??

nhielost

I don't want this to sound harsh, I want it to be taken as constructive criticism since it's the only "working" MIDI alternative to the other plugin that was posted a long time ago.

I've tried to make this work with my nanoKontrol2 and although I noticed it can detect my faders sending the message, I can't say it does anything other than increase in extremely small amounts (Like screen pixels worth of space). I've tried all methods and all options and none of them are working at all for me in particular (Running on v28 and Win 11).

Which action (or actions) are you trying to use with the faders?

It has come to my attention that some actions (especially Video Sources) are not working with the correct MIDI values, and this is being addressed.

nhielost

I have managed to install this and get it to detect my Alesis V49 keyboard

Ive created a binding and set it up to one of the drum pads on the V49

The action I've assigned is 'Scene Switching' to the desired scene

But when I press the drum pad the scene is not changing

Have I missed a step ??

Have you created a message inside the binding set to the message that the drum pad sends? Use the Listen to Message button to detect this.

Also, if the value/velocity option changes when the drum pad is hit, make sure to set it to OFF in the plugin by clicking it. This will prevent the plugin from requiring that specific value every time the pad is hit.

EB123

would it be possible down the line for this plugin to expand and include OSC ? midi is cool to use with hardware controllers but OSC has further benefits, such as make your own custom controller layout to use on tablet/phone and easy wireless/network integration etc..

Funkybassman

Have you created a message inside the binding set to the message that the drum pad sends? Use the Listen to Message button to detect this.

Also, if the value/velocity option changes when the drum pad is hit, make sure to set it to OFF in the plugin by clicking it. This will prevent the plugin from requiring that specific value every time the pad is hit.
Midi velocity is set to 0 (presumably OFF) but still no joy

Here's a link to recording of me setting it up

Can you check it out ?

Last edited:

amandryka

I have a similar problem.
My MIDI device is recognized, and I created a Binding, Messages with the right MIDI messages, and Actions with the right command.

I just don't know how to link a given Message to a given Action.

Untitled.png

Best I could do was to name them the same, but I don't have any other idea.

Thanks for helping.

nhielost

Midi velocity is set to 0 (presumably OFF) but still no joy

Here's a link to recording of me setting it up

Can you check it out ?

Unfortunately, I could not see the setup video you provided. But based on what you have said, I can tell you that you need to CLICK the velocity number to change it to OFF. In addition, the action you want to use should be in the same binding as the message.

nhielost

I have a similar problem.
My MIDI device is recognized, and I created a Binding, Messages with the right MIDI messages, and Actions with the right command.

I just don't know how to link a given Message to a given Action.

View attachment 86724

Best I could do was to name them the same, but I don't have any other idea.

Thanks for helping.

I don't want this to sound harsh, but I guess I haven't explained this well enough.

A binding is the container in which you put messages and actions. If a message is received in a binding, it will either execute the action(s) in the binding, or wait for the next message in the binding to be received.

In your case, you need to use multiple bindings, and in each binding you place the appropriate message with the associated action. (In short, use 3 bindings with the messages and actions distributed instead of one binding with all the messages and actions.)

amandryka

I don't want this to sound harsh, but I guess I haven't explained this well enough.

A binding is the container in which you put messages and actions. If a message is received in a binding, it will either execute the action(s) in the binding, or wait for the next message in the binding to be received.

In your case, you need to use multiple bindings, and in each binding you place the appropriate message with the associated action. (In short, use 3 bindings with the messages and actions distributed instead of one binding with all the messages and actions.)
Ah okay, I thought that a I only needed one binding as a container for all messages and actions, I'll try with one binding for each. Thanks!

EDIT: Yep, it does the trick!

jorgeconstantini

First of all, great job! Second, the plugin crashes my obs on the latest version (1.4.0) and I have no clue why, and third, is there any plan to include actual fader/knob support for the plugin? that was the feature that I used the most on the old one and would love to see it implemented.

sejnub

And when I reinstall the files from obs 1.3.0 it still crashes. I have to delete the dll and pdb to make OBS startable again.Any help would be welcome.

Polychrome

Which action (or actions) are you trying to use with the faders?

It has come to my attention that some actions (especially Video Sources) are not working with the correct MIDI values, and this is being addressed.

Unsure if you tackle this one down on the latest release but I can't for the love of god get it working on my NK2 if it was actually fixed.

If it was fixed on the last release, what would be the right way to make my Faders functional with an Audio Source if you don't mind walking me through your plugin (ie: Lowering and Increasing the volume of my Music Track/Channel).

sejnub

Crashes seem to be solved.

Plugin works again after using the installer `obs-midi-mg-1.4.0-windows-x64-Installer.exe` instead of just copying the zip file content.
No Idea why it crashed OBS at startup for a while.

nhielost

For all those who are wondering, faders are indeed supported with this plugin. Here are the steps to use them.

1. Create a binding inside the active device and name it whatever you'd like.
2. Click Edit Messages in the binding to access the Messages tab, and click Add in the bottom left corner. Rename the message to whatever you'd like.
3. Click Listen to Message on the bottom row. Then adjust your fader so that the plugin can receive the message values for it. Once complete, click Cancel, then click Return.
4. Now, click Edit Actions in the binding to access the Actions tab, and click Add in the bottom left corner. Rename the action to whatever you'd like.
5. Choose which action to use the fader with (e.g. Volume, Scale, Rotation, etc.).
6. For the number fields in the bottom right, click the label. This should disable the number field with dashes being displayed.

That's it! The faders should work with your selected action.

GenomeSoldier66

Can you expand on these directions? I'm getting my midi control to change the value but I don't know how to get that value to be the volume of a source. Is "value is required" a necessity? What's the reception method? I appreciate any more help.