My obs/stream crashes with heavy games "[jim-nvenc] get_encoded_packet: nv.nvEncLockBitstream(s, &lock) failed: 8 (NV_ENC_ERR_INVALID_PARAM)"

rinusvdl

Hello everyone,

For months I'm having issues with streaming "heavier" games. Mainly I play Rainbow Six Siege and that always goes without any problems. But when I try to play Warzone for example my OBS/Stream will crash at some point. A few days back I tried to stream "Stray Souls". Because I'm aware of the problems that I have I immediately put the game settings to medium. I started the game and within 1 minute it crashes. The same thing happens when I put all the settings on low.

I've had this issue with multiple games now. And it always leads to the same error message. The error message is: [jim-nvenc] get_encoded_packet: nv.nvEncLockBitstream(s, &lock) failed: 8 (NV_ENC_ERR_INVALID_PARAM)

With some games, like Assasins Creed Mirage it helped to use lower settings. But with Warzone & Stray Souls for example it keeps happening. I use a RTX 3080 with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900 which should be, in my opinion, more than capable to stream these kind of games at relative good settings.

I already tried a lot to solve this problem, but nothing seems to work. A few things that I can remember that I tried:
  • DDU
  • Updated all the drivers
  • Update BIOS
  • Settings like Game Bar and Game mode on and off etc
  • Reinstall OBS
  • And a few more things that I can't remember right now :(
I get that not everything can be played on high/ultra settings. But there should be at least a solution to avoid the stream and obs from crashing, right?

I hope that there's anyone here who can help me out with this issue, I'll add the error log from last stream but it's always the same error and problem.

Thanks in advance :)

Error Log

Attachments

• message(1).txt
    131.6 KB · Views: 13

PaiSand

Please review and follow directions and recommendations on the analyzer:

You may want to try out a clean version of OBS, using it as portable without any plugin. Most plugins work with latest versions of OBS (update needed). Make sure all the plugins you're using have updates for latest OBS versions.
If you're going to use the latest version (29.1.3) as portable, you need to update the GPU driver too.

Most antivirus are too intrusive and cause more issues than help. The only way to solve this is uninstalling the suit and only use the windows antivirus, which is good enough.

Also:

So if I'm reading this correctly, the encoder failure occurred mid-stream, without any other errors occurring around the same time. The second encoder failure occurred the moment you went live again.

We have seen this error out in the wild, but aren't exactly sure what's initially triggering it. I can only assume the encoding session somehow gets silently killed, and so the next time OBS tries to encode the next packet it fails at this function.

I'll reach out internally but I'm unsure if there's much more information we can gleam from this error specifically - I personally think it's an indicator that we're not catching an error somewhere else.

rinusvdl

Please review and follow directions and recommendations on the analyzer:

You may want to try out a clean version of OBS, using it as portable without any plugin. Most plugins work with latest versions of OBS (update needed). Make sure all the plugins you're using have updates for latest OBS versions.
If you're going to use the latest version (29.1.3) as portable, you need to update the GPU driver too.

Most antivirus are too intrusive and cause more issues than help. The only way to solve this is uninstalling the suit and only use the windows antivirus, which is good enough.

Also:
Thank you for the response! I will try the suggestions in the upcoming days. I'm afraid using version 29 won't fix it because it was a problem for me on 28 and 27 (But I can still try ofc).

If nothing works. do you think it can be just a hardware failure of the GPU?

Kind regards :)