Input Overlay

Input Overlay v5.0.4

univrsal

Good day,

Long time pre V5 user

I was messing around trying to get remote PC working on V5.

I tought it was broken but its only the gamepad functionality that is.

I get a .\bindings.json missing error in the .exe I think its just missing. Taking the gamepad.json and renaming it did nothing.

Thanks for the plugin!!
Yeah you can provide a gamepad.json if you want to use custom gamepad bindings. The json file can be created on the computer that runs obs studio with input overlay. You can change bindings in the input overlay settings dialog and then copy the gamepad_bindings.json file, which is in the input-overlay directory, which is either in your user folder (C:\Users\<name>) or in ~/.config/input-overlay. Gamepad data should be transferred correctly, but I had issues getting it to be reliable if you move both analog sticks

MigeruSan

Hi Universallp, I was wondering if any way I can make this work/ show on my streaming PC to connect to OBS? I have a dual PC (Gaming PC & Stream PC) but haven't found a solution to make it work.

Basically, I want to have my inputs to show.

I know it can work fine with Bluetooth connected to the gaming pc and USB to The stream but it creates an input delay on the game while being played.

univrsal

Hi Universallp, I was wondering if any way I can make this work/ show on my streaming PC to connect to OBS? I have a dual PC (Gaming PC & Stream PC) but haven't found a solution to make it work.

Basically, I want to have my inputs to show.

I know it can work fine with Bluetooth connected to the gaming pc and USB to The stream but it creates an input delay on the game while being played.
Yeah, but it's not been tested thoroughly.

LAFgames

Hello @universallp ! I know it's very rare for a game to use the paddle buttons on a gamepad but I want them shown in my input overlay, anyways. Mine only has 2 paddles, 2 trigger lock switches, and a weird unknown button at the top on the bottom. You can see what I'm talking about on Walmart's website at https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerA-Fusion-2-0-Controller-For-Xbox-One-White-1429630-01/987540094. I see you've already made overlays for other people so I'm wondering if you could do that for me?

univrsal

Hello @universallp ! I know it's very rare for a game to use the paddle buttons on a gamepad but I want them shown in my input overlay, anyways. Mine only has 2 paddles, 2 trigger lock switches, and a weird unknown button at the top on the bottom. You can see what I'm talking about on Walmart's website at https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerA-Fusion-2-0-Controller-For-Xbox-One-White-1429630-01/987540094. I see you've already made overlays for other people so I'm wondering if you could do that for me?
No sorry, I haven't made overlays for anybody in quite a while as I don't have the time

iamsneakysnakey

Just found input history so a little late to the mix. Anyway I can remove keys on the .ini? I just want the typical gamer wasdqer and a couple other open. Mainly for privacy for passwords and what not. Thanks!

LAFgames

Hello! I created my own textures and layout. I absolutely love the idea of showing my viewers what buttons I press! I found several problems, though: the arrow buttons completely don't appear to be pressed graphically, the graphical tool is unable to detect ` and /, the [ and ] get inverted when exporting, the middle mouse button works in the graphical tool but it stops working after exporting, and that's all of the issues I found. Again, really awesome! Soak in the compliments!

Anyways, my keyboard textures and layout were inspired by @WilliamRandol's version at https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/input-overlay.72759/page-26#post-470687. Pretty much mine is just a recolor/reskin and the colors are taken from @vesui's at https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/input-overlay.72759/page-34#post-547566. Just remember, at the moment the arrow keys won't show they're depressed. And the middle mouse button currently doesn't work and the gamepad version will arrive within the next 24 hours!

Attachments

• KeyboardMouse.zip
    444.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Keyboard Preview.png
    Keyboard Preview.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Mouse Preview.png
    Mouse Preview.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 135

LAFgames

...and the gamepad version will arrive within the next 24 hours!
Alright, so the gamepad came out a little different. It needed a 3rd color so, because of that, I changed the mouse and keyboard textures. Coming up with what to change on the keyboard was pretty easy but not so much with the mouse considering it doesn't have any letters. And I like how it came out! Note: I recommend using the mouse and gamepad layout, the json file, from the presets you can download from the Overview page because you'll get the most updated overlays. Don't worry, the textures already come with the dot and arrow.

For your information, if you were confused, like I was, the images with "Preview" are not the textures you use for the overlay. Yes, when I realized my mistake, I laughed very hard about it.

Attachments

• Input Overlay Preset Gray Aqua White.zip
    644.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Gamepad Preview.png
    Gamepad Preview.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Keyboard Preview.png
    Keyboard Preview.png
    341.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Mouse Preview.png
    Mouse Preview.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 93

hiiiro

Hi @universallp . Would you happen to know if can set keypresses to display with the dpad/controller direction images? In fact if I can create an overlay/config where the keyboard presses trigger the gamepad overlay that'd be amazing.

hiiiro

Hi @universallp . Would you happen to know if can set keypresses to display with the dpad/controller direction images? In fact if I can create an overlay/config where the keyboard presses trigger the gamepad overlay that'd be amazing.
Scratch this. I think I can make do with using a preset and then editing it. One thing I'm having an issue with though is that the .json i made with the overlay tool is not recognized properly and just shows the PNG file I based it off of.

All I did was set the following keys:

Q = Left Arrow
W = Down Arrow
E = Right Arrow
Space = Up Arrow
Del = 1
End = 2
Ctrl = 3
PgDn = 4

But I end up with this:
Screenshot 2021-12-28 210600.png

The layout I tried:
1640696859923.png

univrsal

Scratch this. I think I can make do with using a preset and then editing it. One thing I'm having an issue with though is that the .json i made with the overlay tool is not recognized properly and just shows the PNG file I based it off of.

All I did was set the following keys:

Q = Left Arrow
W = Down Arrow
E = Right Arrow
Space = Up Arrow
Del = 1
End = 2
Ctrl = 3
PgDn = 4

But I end up with this: View attachment 78427

The layout I tried: View attachment 78430
Are you using the 5.0.0 pre release? If so can you post the json file?

hiiiro

Are you using the 5.0.0 pre release? If so can you post the json file?
I found a comment on your tutorial vid saying to use it, then found it here. All's good. I've got a question though, when making PNG templates, are there specific requirements for the size of the image? I understand the 1 pixel gap bordering the whole image and then the 3 pixel minimum between and 3 pixels exact for pressed and unpressed.

univrsal

I found a comment on your tutorial vid saying to use it, then found it here. All's good. I've got a question though, when making PNG templates, are there specific requirements for the size of the image? I understand the 1 pixel gap bordering the whole image and then the 3 pixel minimum between and 3 pixels exact for pressed and unpressed.
Those are basically all the requirements, I believe the image can't be larger than 4096x4096 because that is the maximum texture size supported.

hiiiro

Those are basically all the requirements, I believe the image can't be larger than 4096x4096 because that is the maximum texture size supported.
I see. I got it to work a bit, though sometimes it gets stuck or just stops working.

And it seems like I can't trigger the Del, End, and PgDn keys. Sometimes CTRL gets stuck. Happens after a while. For reference, I do have DCSB triggering the same keys for sounds and Razer Synapse if that matters.

All in all, kinda workable still. I appreciate what you've done with the template creator. I remember finding your project way back and having to manually do the text file. This is way better. Thank you!

Attachments

• overlay (3) (1).zip
    517 bytes · Views: 57

redmonstersc

Hey @universallp, Thanks for the fantastic plugin! I love being able to show keyboard inputs while I'm playing, especially in games where there are a lot of keybinds to remember!

I'm running into a problem when I try to setup the overlays for my joysticks, though.

I play space simulators with a dual joystick configuration. I can get X and Y input for my right handed stick, but I'm not able to get any input from it's Z-axis, and I am unable to select an input for my my left-handed joystick. Is this something that would be possible to do with the current plugin? Do I need to modify the inputs or set a custom keybinding?

I'm attaching an example of the type of interface I'm trying to show.

Attachments

• dual-stick-example.png
    dual-stick-example.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 72

univrsal

Hey @universallp, Thanks for the fantastic plugin! I love being able to show keyboard inputs while I'm playing, especially in games where there are a lot of keybinds to remember!

I'm running into a problem when I try to setup the overlays for my joysticks, though.

I play space simulators with a dual joystick configuration. I can get X and Y input for my right handed stick, but I'm not able to get any input from it's Z-axis, and I am unable to select an input for my my left-handed joystick. Is this something that would be possible to do with the current plugin? Do I need to modify the inputs or set a custom keybinding?

I'm attaching an example of the type of interface I'm trying to show.
No clue sorry, I only have a normal gamepad which is all I've used for testing.

I3ordo

TL:DR
It seems, for sending inputs remotely, the plugin (unfortunately) has to run an OBS on the gaming machine to act as a server? if i get that correctly, i would like to ask if the server can send it without an OBS running, as you know the best part of dual pc streaming is not sharing resources between the game and OBS...

The Longer version of that text:
hi there, i have been using your plugin since the early days, it was tricky to customize but i was able to achieve what ever look and feel i wanted. The usage of an input overlay was beneficial for me more than my viewers, as i was able to replay any bad passes or shots and see if my inputs were correct and check if i was right on blaming the game's code instead of my abilities...
1641889632091.png

see the preview, i was using it for football games hence the chalk style outlines with minimal ui! I basically deleted most of the overlay gfx and added checlky outlines to it. what extra i had to do was, I had to use two circular lines as a background undernearth the overlay so that it was more readable of how far the analogs were pushed.If i did not do that, there were not elements on the overlay to understand how far and the directionality of the analogs pushed.

Anyways... as the plugins was working great already, i never had to check for updates apart from the initial review. I was using ds4windows.exe for both gaming and streaming machines where i connected to gaming pc through usb cable while using bluetooth for sending inputs to streaming pc.

Lately, i stopped using the input overlay due to lack of games needing them but also the requirement of a usb cable hassle for dual pc streaming usage.

Now i have read that you can actually achieve remote sending of inputs, does this mean , we just have to launch the client32/64.exe in the gaming pc while plugin receives it in the OBS? or is it like the gaming pc needs an obs running to send inputs? I just started the client64.exe and either the exe crashed rapidly or there are some things that i am missing...

I will further test things out and update my post if it really can send inputs to streaming pc without an obs running (so only obs for receiving on streaming pc)

Last edited:

univrsal

TL:DR
It seems, for sending inputs remotely, the plugin (unfortunately) has to run an OBS on the gaming machine to act as a server? if i get that correctly, i would like to ask if the server can send it without an OBS running, as you know the best part of dual pc streaming is not sharing resources between the game and OBS...

The Longer version of that text:
hi there, i have been using your plugin since the early days, it was tricky to customize but i was able to achieve what ever look and feel i wanted.
View attachment 78952
see the preview, i was using it for football games hence the chalk style outlines with minimal ui! I basically deleted most of the overlay gfx and added checlky outlines to it. what extra i had to do was, I had to use two circular lines as a background undernearth the overlay so that it was more readable of how far the analogs were pushed.If i did not do that, there were not elements on the overlay to understand how far and the directionality of the analogs pushed.

Anyways... as the plugins was working great already, i never had to check for updates apart from the initial review. I was using ds4windows.exe for both gaming and streaming machines where i connected to gaming pc through usb cable while using bluetooth for sending inputs to streaming pc.

Lately, i stopped using the input overlay due to lack of games needing them but also the requirement of a usb cable hassle for dual pc streaming usage.

Now i have read that you can actually achieve remote sending of inputs, does this mean , we just have to launch the client32/64.exe in the gaming pc while plugin receives it in the OBS? or is it like the gaming pc needs and obs running to send inputs? I just started the client64.exe and either the exe crashed rapidly or there are some things that i am missing...

I will further test things out and update my post if it really can send inputs to streaming pc without an obs running (so only obs for receiving on streaming pc)
You don't need to have obs run on the gaming pc, you just need the client application
It doesn't have a gui, so you'll need to use the command line.

I3ordo

You don't need to have obs run on the gaming pc, you just need the client application
It doesn't have a gui, so you'll need to use the command line.
Hello, very pleased to read that the the exe can send without an obs running on server!
I was gonna try using it but third times in a row, the plugin on the streamer pc side had consistent crashes.

this crash occurred after i set it up with preset configurations, then go to menu item (in obs)"tools\input-overlay configuration\remote connection" and enable "remote connection" , when i hit "reload" to detect any running "senders. the reload button hangs in "pressed down"" mode and
https://obsproject.com/logs/7LbwI8ihM5X7kKIk
and another by the same steps.

may be a firewall problem.? windows default firewall usage, same freeze and crash...

also ran on a portable OBS with zero other plugins
log file shows: https://obsproject.com/logs/362CrZMReLijC2lz
"20:36:59.427: LoadLibrary failed for '../../obs-plugins/64bit/obs-browser.dll': The specified module could not be found.
20:36:59.427: (126)
20:36:59.427: Module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/obs-browser.dll' not loaded"
some prerequisite is missing?
i tried to install both VC_redist.x86 and VC_redist.x64 , the installers complained about newer versions installed.

also; i need clarify these:
1:this command will be run on the gaming pc: that will send the inputs to another computer. no obs needed.
"C:\Users\username\Desktop\client.x64.exe 192.168.1.44 raven 1608 --gamepad=1".
the ip that comes after .exe should belong to the receiving pc (streaming pc) and the name should any name of the gaming pc for identification.
currently if i do this i get "netlib_tcp_open failed: Couldn't connect to remote host" (maybe because streamer pc crashes on network "reload" at the moment.

Last edited: