Input Overlay

Input Overlay v5.0.4

univrsal

hi i have my obs installed to f:/obs studio how would i go about changing the path to get it working as its not showing in my sauce, im assuming that would be why
You put the contents of the folder "plugin" inside the "input-overlay.v4.zip" and copy it over to f:/obs-studio. If that does not work I'll need a log file of obs

fentizzle

Hey, guys. I'm having an issue I believe others have had where I've installed it properly (all the files in the right places) and OBS still won't show the source. Do I need to fully reboot my system or am i being stupid?

univrsal

Hey, guys. I'm having an issue I believe others have had where I've installed it properly (all the files in the right places) and OBS still won't show the source. Do I need to fully reboot my system or am i being stupid?
Can you give me a log, possibly both 32 & 64bit version

Jaxon Claw

Yeah I'd need that log. Preferably from both the 64bit and the 32bit version. I am aware that some keys do not show up with names because I did not have the time to assign a name to every key code. I can't fix this issue currently because I'm working on a new release that will allow the user to rename keys or replace them with icons. I also have a feature planned that will add mouse movement to the mouse overlay.
I've gathered from recent posts that you're currently working on a newer version with cool bells and whistles. I look forward to that. In the meantime, here are the two log files you requested:

32bit Log File - https://gist.github.com/anonymous/1e835baee449142f31fadc52525c3788
64bit Log File - https://gist.github.com/99be6093e3bd3048c8718eae999c8f9a

univrsal

I've gathered from recent posts that you're currently working on a newer version with cool bells and whistles. I look forward to that. In the meantime, here are the two log files you requested:

32bit Log File - https://gist.github.com/anonymous/1e835baee449142f31fadc52525c3788
64bit Log File - https://gist.github.com/99be6093e3bd3048c8718eae999c8f9a
Thanks, I already see why it's not working but the error is quite strange:
Code:
13:00:40.524: LoadLibrary failed for '../../obs-plugins/64bit/input-overlay.dll': %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
13:00:40.524:  (193)
13:00:40.524: Module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/input-overlay.dll' not loaded
[...]
13:00:40.612: LoadLibrary failed for '../../obs-plugins/64bit/uiohook.dll': %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
Did you manually copy the *.dlls? I don't see why it would complain that the *.dlls aren't a valid win32 application. I'll set up a Windows 7 VM and test it myself (Aaand I can't launch obs in a windows vm so that concludes my testing...)

Last edited:

Jaxon Claw

..."Did you manually copy the *.dlls?"
Yes I did. In fact, I just re-downloaded the current Input Overlay V4 zip file again and copied the .dll's manually to the 64 bit folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit" and it still won't load into OBS.

Strange, this is very puzzling. By the way, I'm running Win 8.1, not Win 7. Oddly enought, I do see (in the 64 bit OBS) the Source entries for the "Input Overlay" and "Input History" that I added while running the 32 bit version of OBS, but when you double click them to reveal their settings, the dialog boxes that pop up are just blank. Also, when you click the + button to add a source, neither Input Overlay or Input History appears on the list of sources.

At first I suspected that it might be an issue with windows 8.1 being touchy about 64 bit .dll code being executed in a folder location pre-designated for 32 bit applications, as Win 8.1 has two different programs folder locations for 32 & 64 bit software. However, both OBS versions (32 & 64bit) were installed by default in the 32bit (x86) program files location, "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio", and the 64bit version of OBS seems to run just fine from that location. Are both 32&64 bit versions of OBS supposed to be installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio" folder?

Jaxon Claw

Ok, I've downloaded and installed the Input Overlay V4.1 (just released an hour ago) to get some of the new features you spoke of last week, but I'm confused. Where is the example .ini file for setting up the new feature, I'm presuming for the "Input History" source, to rename keys and exclude unnamed keys? Is it in one of the Preset .zip files included with the plugin? If so, which one is it? I've already tried to load the Keyboard.ini but it crashed OBS studio, so that cannot be the right one. V4 used to at least show a hex code for keys it didn't recognize (like Del, Home, etc.) but now only shows standard letter keys and some function keys, etc. How do I make the Input History show the other key inputs?

univrsal

Ok, I've downloaded and installed the Input Overlay V4.1 (just released an hour ago) to get some of the new features you spoke of last week, but I'm confused. Where is the example .ini file for setting up the new feature, I'm presuming for the "Input History" source, to rename keys and exclude unnamed keys? Is it in one of the Preset .zip files included with the plugin? If so, which one is it? I've already tried to load the Keyboard.ini but it crashed OBS studio, so that cannot be the right one. V4 used to at least show a hex code for keys it didn't recognize (like Del, Home, etc.) but now only shows standard letter keys and some function keys, etc. How do I make the Input History show the other key inputs?
I removed the hex codes because I thought they were irritating. As for how to make a config for renaming (or naming) keys. Just make a new *.ini file and add values like this:
Code:
# Key name config
# "2_" + keycode + "=" + your desired name
# 0x0039 is the code for space bar
2_0x0039=Not spacebar
The keycodes are over on github, just search for the desired key, e.g. VC_SPACE.

Sorry that I don't document all of this thoroughly but I'm lazy :P

Jaxon Claw

Thank you. And I understand that documenting your work can be daunting. I followed your example and created an .ini file with the info above and it worked perfectly. However, when I added additional key codes, nothing happened when those keys were pressed (see example below):
# Key name config
2_0x0039=Space
2_0x0E52=INS
2_0x0E53=DEL
2_0x0E47=HOME
2_0x0E4F=END
2_0x0E49=PGUP
2_0x0E51=PGDN

What am I doing wrong? (By the way, I'm using the 32 bit OBS)

Last edited:

univrsal

Thank you. And I understand that documenting your work can be daunting. I followed your example and created an .ini file with the info above and it worked perfectly. However, when I added additional key codes, nothing happened when those keys were pressed (see example below):
# Key name config
2_0x0039=Space
2_0x0E52=INS
2_0x0E53=DEL
2_0x0E47=HOME
2_0x0E4F=END
2_0x0E49=PGUP
2_0x0E51=PGDN

What am I doing wrong? (By the way, I'm using the 32 bit OBS)
Okay so this seems to be an issue with libuiohook, which I use for input detection.
The keycodes you used are on the numpad (if you disable numlock and then press for example Numpad 7, you'll see it).
The codes for the normal delete, home etc. are indicated as for example VC_KP_HOME. I don't know why since it's very confusing.
So to get the correct key codes I suggest you run "demo_hook.exe" which I attached. This will open
a command prompt which outputs every keystroke and it's keycode. Then just press for example page up and you'll see the correct
keycode. Be warned, though: Do not select text inside the command window because it will result in stuttering mouse/keyboard input, which is quite annoying.

Attachments

• demo_hook.zip
    17.8 KB · Views: 230

Jaxon Claw

BINGO!! That did the trick!! Thank's for all your help universallp, and setting me on the right track. I didn't even consider the num keypad Home, End, etc because I ALWAYS have my Numlock key on, and only use my numeric keypad for, well....numbers! Anyway, this should get me going in the right direction. Cheers and have a great weekend!

rashid

I added the Russian language in the plug-in =))) ru-RU.ini, If you allow ? ;)