Input Overlay

Input Overlay v5.0.4

Nokhondom

I was wondering if I would be able to set this up in a way that i could upload small icons to selected keys and have it scroll across a selection of screen like this

univrsal

I was wondering if I would be able to set this up in a way that i could upload small icons to selected keys and have it scroll across a selection of screen like this
Yeah, you can use input-history with "Key icons":
KhsQMNy.png

There's a config called "arrow-keys", which you can use as an example to create your own preset.

ryu_highabusa

Hello everyone, I'm trying to create an educational arcade stick layout (also so normal people can follow along in stream chats when people use fighting game numpad notation) but I'm struggling with the .ini and programming logic. I created a preliminary graphic (DOA/SFV) and used the gamepad.ini as a base, #d the lines regarding analog sticks, loaded the .ini, still worked, then tried actually adjusting the other values accordingly and... now OBS just crashes indefinitely. I have no idea what I'm doing. Here's a visualization of what I'm trying to accomplish:
I'd also like to include the shaft for further visual clarification but have no idea if that's possible to do. I struggled to come up with this concept as it is. I was disappointed by a complete lack of arcade stick layouts available. If I could get this to work, I could adjust it for the Hitbox person asking earlier in the thread (I didn't see that they found a solution). Can anyone help or provide guidance on the code? I am completely stone-walled.

My inspiration is the onscreen overlay from VF5FS but I'm struggling to get even the included overlays to recognize my arcade stick - any thoughts to that? Every device ID available gives the same result. I know the stick's plugged in and responding because the in-game controller overlay is working so not sure where the issue lies (settings) - everything's on the latest version as I just started this endevour last night.

Last edited:

univrsal

Hello everyone, I'm trying to create an educational arcade stick layout (also so normal people can follow along in stream chats when people use fighting game numpad notation) but I'm struggling with the .ini and programming logic. I created a preliminary graphic (DOA/SFV) and used the gamepad.ini as a base, #d the lines regarding analog sticks, loaded the .ini, still worked, then tried actually adjusting the other values accordingly and... now OBS just crashes indefinitely. I have no idea what I'm doing. Here's a visualization of what I'm trying to accomplish:
I'd also like to include the shaft for further visual clarification but have no idea if that's possible to do. I struggled to come up with this concept as it is. I was disappointed by a complete lack of arcade stick layouts available. If I could get this to work, I could adjust it for the Hitbox person asking earlier in the thread (I didn't see that they found a solution). Can anyone help or provide guidance on the code? I am completely stone-walled.

My inspiration is the onscreen overlay from VF5FS but I'm struggling to get even the included overlays to recognize my arcade stick - any thoughts to that? Every device ID available gives the same result. I know the stick's plugged in and responding because the in-game controller overlay is working so not sure where the issue lies (settings) - everything's on the latest version as I just started this endevour last night.
The current version of input overlay can't visualize the stick movement. I also only tested the gamepad overlay with a gamepad, since I do not own anything other than a gamepad. Did the controller work initially?

ryu_highabusa

The current version of input overlay can't visualize the stick [shaft] movement.
Oh, okay. I wasn't 100% sure and I was faking the joystick movements anyway in my graphic by treating each direction like an active button (technically they are hence why hitboxes are a thing), the shaft would've just been a nice additional detail.

Did the controller work initially?
It did not: https://twitter.com/ryu_highabusa/status/1089221751442046977

Retroarch claims my controller is in port-0 so that's the first ID I tried but none gave a result. Haven't tried a normal gamepad either so I don't know if it's working at all. I'll try that in a bit and report back.

univrsal

Oh, okay. I wasn't 100% sure and I was faking the joystick movements anyway in my graphic by treating each direction like an active button (technically they are hence why hitboxes are a thing), the shaft would've just been a nice additional detail.

It did not: https://twitter.com/ryu_highabusa/status/1089221751442046977

Retroarch claims my controller is in port-0 so that's the first ID I tried but none gave a result. Haven't tried a normal gamepad either so I don't know if it's working at all. I'll try that in a bit and report back.
Are you using a controller similar to the hitbox you linked? Because I'm pretty sure they don't work with with Xinput, which is the API used for gamepads and also what I use to get the input.

rnsals

Some games and programs do not work properly when using eg ff14 msi afterbuner rivatuner etc. What is wrong with this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 177

dannyvg

hi! please help me get a preset with the arrow keys and space bar. i've tried for the last hour to get something to work, and when it did, i had the wrong preset. please help

univrsal

hi! please help me get a preset with the arrow keys and space bar. i've tried for the last hour to get something to work, and when it did, i had the wrong preset. please help
I don't really create overlays for other users anymore. All you have to do for yours is to delete all keys except the spacebar and the arrow keys, which shouldn't be to hard.

ryu_highabusa

Are you using a controller similar to the hitbox you linked? Because I'm pretty sure they don't work with with Xinput, which is the API used for gamepads and also what I use to get the input.
Okay, turns out I was initially using a direct input version driver, but now that I've corrected for that still nada on reading any inputs. Using a Madcatz TE2 with this Xinput driver. Not sure what the issue is. Tried every gamepad ID. Alternatively Gamepadviewer.com can see button presses (although the assignments are off) but not joystick movement. Perhaps I installed the plugin incorrectly but I wouldn't have the "input overlay" source option in OBS if that were the case. I'm also still toying around in my head with what an ideal fight stick layout should look like.

Last edited:

univrsal

Okay, turns out I was initially using a direct input version driver, but now that I've corrected for that still nada on reading any inputs. Using a Madcatz TE2 with this Xinput driver. Not sure what the issue is. Tried every gamepad ID. Alternatively Gamepadviewer.com can see button presses (although the assignments are off) but not joystick movement. Perhaps I installed the plugin incorrectly but I wouldn't have the "input overlay" source option in OBS if that were the case. I'm also still toying around in my head with what an ideal fight stick layout should look like.
Nah, if the sources show up you installed it correctly. Can you try downloading this tool and see if the controller is recognized, and if any inputs are displayed. If so you might be able to bind the different buttons to xbox controller buttons and then use them in the overlay. Other than that are you using a specific controller brand? The hitbox website doesn't offer any information for developers which makes it kinda hard to get their controllers to work.

fragmentalstew

Nah, if the sources show up you installed it correctly. Can you try downloading this tool and see if the controller is recognized, and if any inputs are displayed. If so you might be able to bind the different buttons to xbox controller buttons and then use them in the overlay. Other than that are you using a specific controller brand? The hitbox website doesn't offer any information for developers which makes it kinda hard to get their controllers to work.

Hello. Does this work with direct input controllers? I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2, which is a direct input controller. I'm trying to get it to work, but I'm getting no response on the overlay in obs. I was able to get the keyboard overlay to work, as a test.

I frequently use x360ce(which you linked above) with games in order to get them to work. In order to get x360ce to work with a game, I have to drop the x360ce next to the game binary, which needs the right xinput.dll(which x360ce can create) and a properly configured .ini file. I tried placing x360ce next to the obs binary, but it didn't seem to work. It did something weird I've never seen x360ce do. When I open x360ce, it's blank, which happens when you first start the program, but it usually loads a short time later. I think it not loading correctly had something to do with the obs studio folder being a UAC protected folder, maybe?

I also sometimes use the "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" of Steam in order to emulate a 360 controller, but I haven't been using that much lately, because rumble/vibrate doesn't work with it.

univrsal

Hello. Does this work with direct input controllers? I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2, which is a direct input controller. I'm trying to get it to work, but I'm getting no response on the overlay in obs. I was able to get the keyboard overlay to work, as a test.

I frequently use x360ce(which you linked above) with games in order to get them to work. In order to get x360ce to work with a game, I have to drop the x360ce next to the game binary, which needs the right xinput.dll(which x360ce can create) and a properly configured .ini file. I tried placing x360ce next to the obs binary, but it didn't seem to work. It did something weird I've never seen x360ce do. When I open x360ce, it's blank, which happens when you first start the program, but it usually loads a short time later. I think it not loading correctly had something to do with the obs studio folder being a UAC protected folder, maybe?

I also sometimes use the "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" of Steam in order to emulate a 360 controller, but I haven't been using that much lately, because rumble/vibrate doesn't work with it.
I have no experience with x360ce, only linked it as a tool to find out whether the fighting game controller was working.
The plugin itself uses XInput, which is the updated API that replaces Direct Input, so in theory any controller complying with that API should work. I only have one controller to test it with though, which is a cheap xbox knock off so I obviously can't speak for every controller brand.

Damien Benoit

Does anyone know the best way to have nearly the full computer keyboard layout displayed, but not at all times... I do photoshop tutorials live and it would be nice to have the button press history or atleast the last few key strokes show up in a small list on the side. anyone