Input Overlay

Input Overlay v5.0.4

DanRockstreet

Hi all,

thanks for this nice program! I have a feature request. :-)
I was thinking of creating some spoken tutorials with OBS studio together with "Input history" for my favorite Software Blender, currently in a beta version 2.8.

Blender offers until version 2.79 a "screencast mode" for users be able to follow tutorials.

In version 2.8, they have not implemented Screencast keys - additionally, the problem Blender has is that sometimes keys are not displayed in certain modes. Therefore, OBS studio and the Input Overlay make sense as I have tested this now.

There are some features from Blender Screencast function that I think might be a good feature for the OBS Input Overlay:
This might even make sense for tutorial videos for other software as well.

• Fade-out for the auto clear (nice to have), the disappearing is very harsh
  • The enable of repeated keys could be shown as a multiplication factor. If I press B five times in Blender and screencast mode, then I will see, B, then Bx2, Bx3, etc.. As soon as the auto clear has removed the last view of a depressed key, then it starts to count from 1 again
    1545086223707.png
  • Enable the possibility of ignoring Left and Right key infos for SHIFT and CTRL, i.e. only show SHIFT or CTRL, regardless if L-SHIFT or R-SHIFT
  • Enable the possibility of not showing if only SHIFT, CTRL or ALT have been pressed, since they have no function for themselves in many programs.
  • Enable the six keys above the four arrow keys (Delete, Home, End, Page Up/Down, etc..)
    1545086297508.png
Have a good evening!

Dan

P.S.: this is how it looks like in Blender 2.79
1545085753738.png

• Start/Stop Display is used for the Screencast key display
  • Size of text and mouse icon is self-explanatory
  • Position of the display are is also self-explanatory
  • Text/Icon color is also clear
  • Fade Out Time is what I explained above
  • Mouse can be shown as text, icon or not at all
    1545086390701.png
    or
    1545086406023.png
  • Display: Box is basically a background box with color and alpha

univrsal

Hi all,

I was thinking of creating some spoken tutorials with OBS studio together with "Input history" for my favorite Software Blender, currently in a beta version 2.8.

Blender offers until version 2.79 a "screencast mode" for users be able to follow tutorials.

In version 2.8, they have not implemented Screencast keys - additionally, the problem Blender has is that sometimes keys are not displayed in certain modes. Therefore, OBS studio and the Input Overlay make sense as I have tested this now.

There are some features from Blender Screencast function that I think might be a good feature for the OBS Input Overlay:

• The enable of repeated keys could be shown as a multiplication factor. If I press B five times in Blender and screencast mode, then I will see, B, then Bx2, Bx3, etc.. As soon as the auto clear has removed the last view of a depressed key, then it starts to count from 1 again
    View attachment 41429
  • Enable the possibility of ignoring Left and Right key infos for SHIFT and CTRL, i.e. only show SHIFT or CTRL, regardless if L-SHIFT or R-SHIFT
  • Enable the possibility of not showing if only SHIFT, CTRL or ALT have been pressed, since they have no function for themselves in many programs.
  • Enable the six keys above the four arrow keys (Delete, Home, End, Page Up/Down, etc..)
    View attachment 41430
Have a good evening!

Dan

View attachment 41428
    View attachment 41432 or View attachment 41433
Well here's the current plan for input-history:
  • Repeat keys are already planned
  • Keys can be renamed using a config file, which determines what keys should have what name (renaming L-Ctrl to Ctrl)
  • All keys are supported by the plugin, some just don't have a name and therefore won't show up, I'll try to add these names in the next release
  • Disabling individual keys isn't possible, but I might change how Ctrl, Shift etc. are handled (So they'll be shown if they're used in a key combination)
  • Fading out isn't all that easy so I can't promise anything

PseudoDoctor

A: Nifty plugin, Got a pretty keyboard input to look like gamepad.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/350992967 before fidling
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/351186404 after fidling
P.S. Shantae is harder than it looks.

2: Is there an example config file for input history? Every preset from 4.7.4b I throw in crashes OBS.
P.P.S. here's a horrible spreadsheet to help position keys.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spEN6ciViJQLxGhCkwxMwu7E58dSsM2zswQHeoH4jeQ/edit?usp=sharing

PseudoDoctor

Input history doesn't use any presets, except for key-renaming or replacing keys with icons. What are you trying to do?
Any of that. Rename "I" to "aye" or Unicode Character “” (U+1F441) or a picture of an obelisk.

I'll create an example config to start from shortly, i.e. WASD and IJKL renamed to UpLeftDownRight

univrsal

1_key_count=4
2_key_order=0x0017,0x0024,0x0025,0x0026
#keyalias=Aye,Jay,Kay,Elle
I don't know if unicode characters are loaded correctly, you'll have to try that yourself, but if you only want to rename keys then the config file should look like this:
Code:
# format: 2_KEYCODE=KEYNAME
2_0x0034=.
2_0x0033=,
2_0x001B=]
2_0x001A=[
The syntax you used is for replacing keys with icons, which might be a better approach, if you want to display icons.
By the way, you can edit posts, so you don't have to post twice :P

PseudoDoctor

Nifty!
Would this be valid so that a plaintext history would show UP instead of I and DOWN instead of K?

INI:
#define VC_I 0x0017
#define VC_J 0x0024
#define VC_K 0x0025
#define VC_L 0x0026
2_0x0017=UP
2_0x0024=LEFT
2_0x0025=DOWN
2_0x0026=RIGHT
#define VC_COMMA 0x0033 // ','
#define VC_PERIOD 0x0034 // '.'
2_0x0033=BACK
2_0x0034=FORWARD

And is there a way to only display history of a subset of characters? Like having three histories, one for UP/DOWN, one for LEFT/RIGHT, and one for FORWARD/BACK?

EDIT:
Yes indeed there is, even alternate names.
Next I'll dink around with images.
INI:
2_0x0017=UP
2_0x0024=LEFT
INI:
2_0x0024=LEFT2
2_0x0025=DOWN

Last edited:

univrsal

Nifty!
Would this be valid so that a plaintext history would show UP instead of I and DOWN instead of K?

INI:
#define VC_I 0x0017
#define VC_J 0x0024
#define VC_K 0x0025
#define VC_L 0x0026
2_0x0017=UP
2_0x0024=LEFT
2_0x0025=DOWN
2_0x0026=RIGHT
#define VC_COMMA 0x0033 // ','
#define VC_PERIOD 0x0034 // '.'
2_0x0033=BACK
2_0x0034=FORWARD

And is there a way to only display history of a subset of characters? Like having three histories, one for UP/DOWN, one for LEFT/RIGHT, and one for FORWARD/BACK?

EDIT:
Yes indeed there is, even alternate names.
Next I'll dink around with images.
INI:
2_0x0017=UP
2_0x0024=LEFT
INI:
2_0x0024=LEFT2
2_0x0025=DOWN
So I assume things are working the way you wanted?

callimero

Hi!

I am also using it for Blender. Great work!

Well here's the current plan for input-history:
  • Disabling individual keys isn't possible, but I might change how Ctrl, Shift etc. are handled (So they'll be shown if they're used in a key combination)
  • Fading out isn't all that easy so I can't promise anything

I often have the problem that L-Shift is shown repeatedly when holding it and moving the Mouse (which panns the view).

For the fading: Maybe push the entries down the history every x seconds?

BTW: I have some problems showing icons instead of Plain Text for the input History. I tried with some of the provided maps (tho only the qwuerty ones) and gave texture and *.ini files. It hust renders nothing then?

Best,
Carsten

univrsal

Hi!

I am also using it for Blender. Great work!

I often have the problem that L-Shift is shown repeatedly when holding it and moving the Mouse (which panns the view).

For the fading: Maybe push the entries down the history every x seconds?

BTW: I have some problems showing icons instead of Plain Text for the input History. I tried with some of the provided maps (tho only the qwuerty ones) and gave texture and *.ini files. It hust renders nothing then?

Best,
Carsten
input-history doesn't take the same presets as input-overlay, I should've made that clear somewhere. The only preset that is made for input-history is called "arrow key icons", which does exactly what it sounds like: it displays actual arrows instead of "UP", "DOWN" etc.
As for the repeating of L-Shift, do you have "include mouse" enabled? I haven't taken a look at input-history in a while so it's definitely possible that there's some issues with it.
Also the fading is more complicated than it might seem. input-history uses the integrated text-source and puts all into one line of text with new-line separators. If I wanted to implement fading I'd have to either use multiple different text sources or somehow reuse the same one for each line. On top of that I haven't looked into how alpha works inside the source.

machs_einfach

Hi all,

View attachment 41429
    View attachment 41430
Have a good evening!

Dan

View attachment 41428
    View attachment 41432 or View attachment 41433
Hi DanRockstreet and all the others.
I had the same problem, so i decided to make an own Preset to solve the problem.
The preset has the following layout.
qwerty-arrows-home-transparent-preview.png

If you like it and speak german, it would be great, if you give me an thumb up on youtube for my work.
www.youtube.com/machs_einfach
Today at 6PM is a german video online, which explains how i customized this.
OBS Input Overlay Preset selber erstellen
Greetings
Machs Einfach

Attachments

• qwerty-arrows-home.zip
    316.1 KB · Views: 87
  • qwerty-arrows-home-transparent.zip
    571.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

adel108

Can you try opening "demo_hook.exe" in the util folder, that was inside the release archive, and see if there's any output when you press 'q'?
idk, my q work when i install first time plugin, maybe a week, and my q stop work w/o reason, my obs dont have key bind and discord, google chrome i think too

Last edited: