I will pay you if you fix my microstutters when recording, not in game.

Avduga

I don't know if it's an accident or if you're just a troll. Starting to think it's the latter. From your last log.

09:57:34.588: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600KF CPU @ 3.70GHz
09:57:34.588: CPU Speed: 3696MHz
09:57:34.588: Physical Cores: 6, Logical Cores: 6
09:57:34.588: Physical Memory: 16329MB Total, 12517MB Free (NOTE: 32bit programs cannot use more than 3gb)
09:57:34.588: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 19045 (release: 2009; revision: 3693; 64-bit)
09:57:34.588: Running as administrator: false
09:57:34.588: Aero is Enabled (Aero is always on for windows 8 and above)
09:57:34.588: Windows 10 Gaming Features:
09:57:34.588: Game Bar: Off
09:57:34.588: Game DVR: Off
09:57:34.588: Game DVR Background Recording: Off
09:57:34.595: Sec. Software Status:
09:57:34.596: Microsoft Defender Antivirus: enabled (AV)
09:57:34.596: Windows Firewall: enabled (FW)
09:57:34.597: Current Date/Time: 2023-12-03, 09:57:34
09:57:34.597: Browser Hardware Acceleration: true
09:57:34.597: Portable mode: false
09:57:34.774: OBS 27.1.3 (32-bit, windows)
I don't see the problem here, i am beeing honest all the time.
Maybe i am missing out on something?
Would be unintentional anyways.

rockbottom

Go through the effort of re-installing windows & then install a 32-bit version of OBS from like 2 years ago. Just wasting time & makes me wonder what else got fu^&#$ up along the way.....

Avduga

Go through the effort of re-installing windows & then install a 32-bit version of OBS from like 2 years ago. Just wasting time & makes me wonder what else got fu^&#$ up along the way.....
Thanx for the reply!
No need to get disrespectful here.

Avduga

Anyways, i will keep trying to fix the problem, thanx for helping me!
I appreciate the information you shared and help you offered to give me more knowledge and understanding about OBS and stuff.
Thanks to you i understand better how to read a log file, and look for uncommon things.

Once i am sure that i fixed it, i will post my solution here so that maybe other people can use it for theirselves.

Situkka

do you have dual pc setup?
if yes then use 120fps on gaming pc obs and straming pc output it to 60fps. sutters gone.

if not then gl there is no fix for those stutters afak

Avduga

do you have dual pc setup?
if yes then use 120fps on gaming pc obs and straming pc output it to 60fps. sutters gone.

if not then gl there is no fix for those stutters afak
It happens in my single pc gaming setup, and the same happens when i record the screen with OBS on my laptop.
I just pick a high quality video on YT and play it and record it using display capture.
Tried all possible framerates.
Also, using a capture card to transfer video from pc to laptop gives stutters.

I personally don't believe it is an OBS issue, because a lot of people record flawless without any issues.

I believe it is an Windows / hardware configuration issue that occurs on some pc rigs. Or maybe a hidden setting no one knows about.

I tried different OBS versions but every version gives me stutter.
Currently back to v30.

Next thing for me is installing Ubuntu on my laptop, use a capture card to record my gaming pc screen with OBS.
See how that goes.

Avduga

Update:

I am trying out the next:

- Gaming PC remains the same, NO OBS installed and just the normal, maxed out refresh rates.
- Connected a HDMI to a available port on my GPU of the gaming PC, duplicated my desktop (main monitor).
- Connect a capturecard and connected it to my laptop wich can encode 720p60 no problem.
- OBS Laptop Settings: Encoder QuickSync H.264, 720p60, CBR and 6000Mbit, no rescaling everything set to 720p.
- CaptureCard source in OBS Settings: 720p60, buffering ENABLED, use hardware decoding when possible.

The first minutes of testing are an incredible improvement and has shown zero stuttering so far.
The laptop is a Asus X415e with a i3-1115G4, 8GB and NO GPU.
It has a built-in encoder.

Personally i think the Buffering Enabled option did it.
So i went testing using the capturecard on my SinglePC setup, however that failed and gave the same results with stutters.
I will do more testing this weekend and give an update.
Hopefully it stays this way.

TheFörd

Hey Avduga, I actually just signed up because I might be able to tell you a solution.

I've also tried all sorts of things: I have high-performance hardware, butter-smooth gameplay without frame drops, Itried various OBS settings ("stutters" were equally bad with all of them in the recordings), activated V-Sync, set my monitor to 60Hz with Custom Resolution Utility, updated the BIOS and drivers etc., but my videos were still full of little stutters. My logs were also perfectly clean, only the smallest encoding overloads (10-20 frames or so in the whole recording, don't know why they're there). Apparently these annoying stutters are not frame drops but frame duplicates, i.e. it stutters because two identical frames follow each other, although a different-looking one should actually come after the first. This results in a "jump" to the third frame, which causes a stutter because the "smoothing" second frame is missing. If this is repeated every 5-10 frames, it is perceived as clear stuttering, although OBS says that there is no stuttering - because no frame is missing in terms of number; all are there numberwise. Only the distance between the frames doesn't appear to be even because of the repeating duplicates.

For me, the only thing that helped was to change the setting "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" in the Nvidia Control Panel to application-controlled instead of the standard "1". Maybe 2, 3 or 4 would also work, but the standard 1 doesn't seem to be enough for OBS. I guess since more frames are generated at a single time, OBS doesn't have to duplicate the previous frame to achieve solid 60fps due to the next frame not being there yet; it can just grab the second or third and fill the gap. Since this setting also acts as a kind of buffer, it is only logical that you have had the experience that it was helpful to switch on buffering on your capture card.

Hope it helps you!

TheFörd

Oh, and of course I forgot to mention my hardware and settings. Here they are:

Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3758 64-bit, latest updates as of Dec 7, 2023
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8 Cores/16 Threads, 4.2 to 5 GHZ, latest update: 23.12.1 (Nov 28, 2023)
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4080 (Driver: v. 546.29, Dec 4 2023), no OC
Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX (BIOS v. FA1a, Nov 10 2023, standard BIOS settings), latest updates installed
RAM DDR5-6000 32 GB
SSD 1: CT1000MX500SSD1 1TB - for Windows and games (no software installed)
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB - for recordings (no software installed)
Monitor (Philips PHL 273V7) set to exactly 60 Hertz with Custom Resolution Utility

Power Options: High Performance
HAGS: disabled
Game Bar: Off
Game DVR: Off
Game Mode: On
Windows-Firewall and Antivirus: enabled
Browser Hardware Acceleration: true

I use VLC Player to watch my recordings.
During my recording sessions, every program (except for OBS, the game I play, Nvidia Control Panel, AMD Software Adrenalin Edition and Gigabyte Control Center) is closed.

-----------------------
OBS v. 30.0.0 (64 bit)
-----------------------
Launched as admin
1 Scene
1 Game Capture (Hook rate: fastest)
1 Audio

Preview is turned on.

Output - Recording
Recording Format - Matroska Video .mkv
Video Encoder - NVIDIA NVENC AV1
Audio Encoder - FFmpeg AAC

Rate Control - CQP
CQ Level - 15
Keyframe Interval - 0 s
Preset - P6: Slower
Tuning - High Quality
Multipass Mode - Two Passes (Quarter Resolution)
Profile - main
Max B-frame - 2

Audio
Audio Bitrate - 320
Sample Rate - 48 kHz
Channels - Stereo
Global Audio Devices - only my headphones
Monitoring Device - also my headphones

Video
Base (Canvas) Resolution - 1920x1080
Output (Scaled) Resolution - 1920x1080
Common FPS Values - 60

Advanced
Process Priority - Normal
Renderer - Direct3D 11
Color Format - NV12
Color Space - Rec. 709
Color Range - Limited

------------------------
NVIDIA Control Panel
------------------------

All standard, except Vsync turned ON and Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames set to APPLICATION-CONTROLLED.

Avduga

Hey @TheFörd !

First of all i want to say that i do really appreciate the fact that you took the effort to explain all of your thoughts on this.
This does not only help me, but also other people who come here for a solution.
Thank you for that!

I have tried your solution, unfortunately doing this did not resolve my issue.
To be completely honest i have noticed no difference, but it was definitely worth trying anyways :-)

Some people have flawless 4k recordings without issues from start, and others have weird issues like this.
I think it all comes down to the hardware setup - software setup configurations.

I think i will just have to accept that OBS and my gaming rig are not a good match and don't like eachother so far.
However if that means that using a laptop with capturecard and buffering enabled, then i am a happy man.

I am going to keep testing, and if i can say that my issue has finally resolved, i will share it here.
I hope someone is helped by everyone in this thread, because OBS and streaming has a steep learning curve in my opinion.

TheFörd

Hey @TheFörd !

First of all i want to say that i do really appreciate the fact that you took the effort to explain all of your thoughts on this.
This does not only help me, but also other people who come here for a solution.
Thank you for that!

I have tried your solution, unfortunately doing this did not resolve my issue.
To be completely honest i have noticed no difference, but it was definitely worth trying anyways :-)

Some people have flawless 4k recordings without issues from start, and others have weird issues like this.
I think it all comes down to the hardware setup - software setup configurations.

I think i will just have to accept that OBS and my gaming rig are not a good match and don't like eachother so far.
However if that means that using a laptop with capturecard and buffering enabled, then i am a happy man.

I am going to keep testing, and if i can say that my issue has finally resolved, i will share it here.
I hope someone is helped by everyone in this thread, because OBS and streaming has a steep learning curve in my opinion.

I'm really excited to hear what causes your issues if you find out. I mean... it really should be working right from the start without spending hours and days trying to get it to work. :( I understand that it might not be working if you had a slow or broken PC, or if some settings were completely wrong, but we have optimized our settings and it's still not working as it should. Even changing the pre-rendered frames setting that I've found helpful shouldn't be necessary because the added input lag is awful for fast-paced games, and there's still at least some duplicated frames, but they are way less. Really seems to have something to do with the different configurations we have... :( I hope you'll find a solution that isn't your laptop and a capture card.

Avduga

I'm really excited to hear what causes your issues if you find out. I mean... it really should be working right from the start without spending hours and days trying to get it to work. :( I understand that it might not be working if you had a slow or broken PC, or if some settings were completely wrong, but we have optimized our settings and it's still not working as it should. Even changing the pre-rendered frames setting that I've found helpful shouldn't be necessary because the added input lag is awful for fast-paced games, and there's still at least some duplicated frames, but they are way less. Really seems to have something to do with the different configurations we have... :( I hope you'll find a solution that isn't your laptop and a capture card.
Thanx for the reply!
I fully agree with what you say.
My PC runs a i5-9600KF and RTX3060Ti and a mobo b365m pro vdh with 16gb ram ddr 4 266mhz.
So not top notch but good enough to be handling this anyways.
I have done more testing the last hours and sofar, no stutter issues.
Really believing my solution is the buffer-option, since i tried this, it is absolutely awesome.

I will never talk s*** about OBS, because it is FREE TO USE and extremely customizable, also i am depending on it.
Maybe they could add a buffering option in screen or game capture.
But i guess the devs of OBS keep learning also, and also they probably can't keep up with the fast development of new hardware.

So anyways, i'll do more testing, feedback will follow.

TheFörd

Thanx for the reply!
I fully agree with what you say.
My PC runs a i5-9600KF and RTX3060Ti and a mobo b365m pro vdh with 16gb ram ddr 4 266mhz.
So not top notch but good enough to be handling this anyways.
I have done more testing the last hours and sofar, no stutter issues.
Really believing my solution is the buffer-option, since i tried this, it is absolutely awesome.

I will never talk s*** about OBS, because it is FREE TO USE and extremely customizable, also i am depending on it.
Maybe they could add a buffering option in screen or game capture.
But i guess the devs of OBS keep learning also, and also they probably can't keep up with the fast development of new hardware.

So anyways, i'll do more testing, feedback will follow.
Hey, it's me again.

I have also done further testing and have come to the conclusion that the settings I mentioned are actually not the main reason why OBS does not output smooth videos. They were better, but still laggy. I spent a lot of time playing around with the Nvidia Profile Inspector, tested several settings and actually managed to get smooth videos even with different games (except for a few frames, which I think is normal as it can't run 100% perfectly). As these sometimes jittered in the VLC player and then suddenly didn't when I played them again, I uploaded them to YouTube so that the lags in the VLC player didn't spoil the result. I also watched some videos of some big youtubers playing games and they got the same amount, if not more tiny stutters that are simply not that obvious because we don't look for them.

Here are my settings, which I found using the Nvidia Profile Inspector:

There, I not only set the Virtual Reality Pre-Rendered Frames, but also the Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames to "Use 3D appl setting". I also set "Variable Refresh Rate" to "0x00000000 VSYNCVRRCONTROL_DISABLE" hoping that the refresh rate will no longer fluctuate but remain the same. I have set Preferred Refresh Rate to "Highest Available" instead of "Use 3D application setting", so that the programs hopefully really use the highest refresh rate (in my case 60hz, as I have deleted the others with CRU) and not another one. I was also surprised that GSYNC was activated for me, even though I don't have it, so I set all GSYNC settings to Off or Force Off. Oh, and by the way, every game I play runs in windowed mode, which I either maximize with Borderless Gaming or if no windowed mode is supported, I use Dxwnd for that.

I don't know which of these settings have worked at all, but it seems to be working well so far. I'm still hoping it stays like this, I'm doing further testing.

Avduga

So i done some more testing with OBS on my laptop, and using a capture card.
I duplicated my desktop to the capturecard, and therefor my in-game FPS were locked to 60fps.
So i read about a solution to buy a HDMI splitter and connect both the monitor and capturecard to this splitter.
Maybe i'll buy one of those and do more testing.
I would like to be able to get more than 60fps since the PC can handle that.

drpepperdoge

Oh, and of course I forgot to mention my hardware and settings. Here they are:

Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3758 64-bit, latest updates as of Dec 7, 2023
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8 Cores/16 Threads, 4.2 to 5 GHZ, latest update: 23.12.1 (Nov 28, 2023)
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4080 (Driver: v. 546.29, Dec 4 2023), no OC
Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX (BIOS v. FA1a, Nov 10 2023, standard BIOS settings), latest updates installed
RAM DDR5-6000 32 GB
SSD 1: CT1000MX500SSD1 1TB - for Windows and games (no software installed)
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB - for recordings (no software installed)
Monitor (Philips PHL 273V7) set to exactly 60 Hertz with Custom Resolution Utility

Power Options: High Performance
HAGS: disabled
Game Bar: Off
Game DVR: Off
Game Mode: On
Windows-Firewall and Antivirus: enabled
Browser Hardware Acceleration: true

I use VLC Player to watch my recordings.
During my recording sessions, every program (except for OBS, the game I play, Nvidia Control Panel, AMD Software Adrenalin Edition and Gigabyte Control Center) is closed.

-----------------------
OBS v. 30.0.0 (64 bit)
-----------------------
Launched as admin
1 Scene
1 Game Capture (Hook rate: fastest)
1 Audio

Preview is turned on.

Output - Recording
Recording Format - Matroska Video .mkv
Video Encoder - NVIDIA NVENC AV1
Audio Encoder - FFmpeg AAC

Rate Control - CQP
CQ Level - 15
Keyframe Interval - 0 s
Preset - P6: Slower
Tuning - High Quality
Multipass Mode - Two Passes (Quarter Resolution)
Profile - main
Max B-frame - 2

Audio
Audio Bitrate - 320
Sample Rate - 48 kHz
Channels - Stereo
Global Audio Devices - only my headphones
Monitoring Device - also my headphones

Video
Base (Canvas) Resolution - 1920x1080
Output (Scaled) Resolution - 1920x1080
Common FPS Values - 60

Advanced
Process Priority - Normal
Renderer - Direct3D 11
Color Format - NV12
Color Space - Rec. 709
Color Range - Limited

------------------------
NVIDIA Control Panel
------------------------

All standard, except Vsync turned ON and Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames set to APPLICATION-CONTROLLED.
My rig is pretty close to yours, so I'm gonna mimic your settings and see if that helps me. I still get occasional stutters (even when not recording) so I'm hoping this helps.

If all goes well, I just need it to be stutter free for 5 minutes at a time. Here's hoping!

Well shoot. Went and tried everything and right around the 1:30 mark of recording, it skipped.

I had the "stats" window open and I see that it missed 10 frames due to rendering lag.

I have a 4070 Ti and a I7-13700KF so I feel like i shouldn't be seeing this haha

Last edited:

rockbottom

^^
Those frames weren't reported in the log.

The analyzer missed your capture card sample-rate mismatch (44k) & it also appears your monitor is running with HDR enabled or in automatic mode. Switch to SDR. (Rec 709)
15:47:36.111: space=RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020

drpepperdoge

^^
Those frames weren't reported in the log.

The analyzer missed your capture card sample-rate mismatch (44k) & it also appears your monitor is running with HDR enabled or in automatic mode. Switch to SDR. (Rec 709)
15:47:36.111: space=RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020

Can I just hire you for a one hour zoom session to troubleshoot haha

I think I've got my display set to not have HDR or auto HDR enabled any longer.

I checked both the Win 11 display settings as well as my monitor's special built-in settings too

Edit: you mention something about a capture card. is that an external device or does this just reference my GPU? I don't remember buying/installing a capture card or anything like that

rockbottom

Cool, evidently the auto HDR feature on some monitors overrides the Windows setting.

USB device according to your log

15:47:37.614: [DShow Device: 'Video Capture Device'] settings updated:
15:47:37.614: video device: USB Video Device
15:47:37.614: video path: \\?\usb#vid_1532&pid_0e05&mi_00#6&1f0f6a81&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global
15:47:37.614: resolution: 1920x1080
15:47:37.614: flip: 0
15:47:37.614: fps: 60.00 (interval: 166666)
15:47:37.614: format: NV12
15:47:37.614: buffering: disabled
15:47:37.614: hardware decode: disabled
15:47:37.630: using video device audio: no
15:47:37.630: separate audio filter
15:47:37.630: sample rate: 44100
15:47:37.630: channels: 2
15:47:37.630: audio type: Capture
15:47:37.721: YT: InitYTUserUrl() User is not signed
15:47:37.721: YT: InitYTUserUrl() User is not signed