rhazor

dxvk is Vulkan-based implementation of D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11 for Linux / Wine (and Windows)
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk 11.5k Stars!

The issues has been reported before, dating back to 2018:
With no response or any clues since.

All the older games that run on DX9 like e.g. Oblivion and The Witcher 1 hooked up with dxvk AND OBS open, share common issues:
  • Constant game crashes, usually when loading save files or loading into new zones.
  • OBS cannot capture, e.g. black screen, frozen screen, I get this one where it's black screen, but it does capture the in-game mouse?
All of these issues happen while both dxvk and OBS are in action. If you e.g. remove dxvk and run OBS, the crashes disappear, or if you close OBS and keep dxvk the crashes also disappear.

How to reproduce:
  1. Install a DX9 game, e.g. The Witcher 1 (I use GOG copy)
  2. Download dxvk archive from github and put the d3d9.dll into same folder as game's executable
  3. Try to play a game, load zones/save files, etc. Witcher 1 is extremely crashing all the time and is what made me realize it's the interaction between OBS and dxvk and same reason why Oblivion was crashing.
Also OBS does not even need to record or stream live, just launch it and set it to Game Capture (since I can't get Window Capture work at all with dxvk, it's just black screen)

Similar issues about OBS (black screen and crashes) was reported at dxvk and devs has a nice response for you guys at OBS, I'm sure you will like it
1708801638283.png

So, while they're fingering at you, I do not know if you should finger back, that's not for me to decide :)

But then again, it's been more than 4 years and now it's already second game in a row I am having this issue so I thought maybe I will create this thread.

Anyways, if it helps, I attached the logs dxvk vs non-dxvk for witcher.exe

Log for dxvk.txt ends when game simply crashes when loading a save file and log for non-dxvk.txt is when loading same save file with success and closing the game, if that matters.

Attachments

• dxvk.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 11
  • non-dxvk.txt
    16 KB · Views: 11

qhobbes

From what I can gather, Half-Life 2 Lost Coast is a DX9 game and I recorded that without issue using DXVK. See demo link in sig.