Drop in fps in the game when OBS "detects" Minecraft, just by detecting the game window the fps drops by around 60fps +-. Help!

oTortola

I'm only experiencing a big drop in fps in the game Minecraft, in the other games everything is normal.
When I open the game it is at about 160 fps +-, when I just open OBS without detecting any window it is still working normally, but when OBS detects the Minecraft window (Both in "capture any fullscreen application" and in "capture specific window") the game drops from 160fps to 100 fps +- only detecting the game window and without recording. When I start recording, oddly enough, the game raises the fps to around 118 fps +-, when I stop recording the fps either goes back to 100 or remains at 118. In other games it works very well, only in Minecraft it is like this.

I would like to know how this happens and how I can solve it, because I've even tried reinstalling OBS with factory settings but it didn't solve it, I've also tried changing the "process priority" but nothing solved it, I tried putting Minecraft on "High performance" in "Graphics Settings" in Windows and it didn't work.

Note: I use "Tlauncher" to play Minecraft. (Java)

My specs:
R5 1600
RX580 8GB
16GB Ram (4x4GB 2400mhz) (Killsre)
1TB HD
240GB SSD

Win 10

Thanks!

Marsh

Try closing OBS and see if your fps goes back up. Or maybe delete all the video sources and see what happens. Right now OBS is using 0.2% of my cpu, but that won't stop it from tanking the FPS if I try to do anything other than a capture card input.

I have experienced the issue where simply by having OBS open, not even recording, it tanks the fps of whatever you're playing, even if it's otherwise not using any meaningful amount of system resources, if you're using anything other than a capture card input. It's possible there's some weird conflict between minecraft and your OBS.

oTortola

Try closing OBS and see if your fps goes back up. Or maybe delete all the video sources and see what happens. Right now OBS is using 0.2% of my cpu, but that won't stop it from tanking the FPS if I try to do anything other than a capture card input.

I have experienced the issue where simply by having OBS open, not even recording, it tanks the fps of whatever you're playing, even if it's otherwise not using any meaningful amount of system resources, if you're using anything other than a capture card input. It's possible there's some weird conflict between minecraft and your OBS.

When I close OBS the FPS returns to normal, but not exactly because I closed OBS, but because it stopped detecting the Minecraft window, I can have it open without dropping the FPS if it doesn't detect the game, but If it detects it, the FPS immediately drops. I've also deleted the video sources by uninstalling OBS and installing it again, but that didn't help. I'm just using the video card to record, but the problem happens before I want to start a recording, only because OBS detects Minecraft. And only Minecraft is having this problem, in other games everything is going well.

oTortola

Edit:
When I use SLI/Crossfire Capture Mode (Slow) + Limit Capture Framerate the game performance improves! From 160 fps I "only" drop to 145 fps, instead of dropping to 100fps like before.

It's only like this with Minecraft, with other games SLI/Crossfire reduces the fps, the "Limit Capture framerate" doesn't change anything in other games, only in Minecraft it improves.

If anyone is having the same problem as me, try this as it should alleviate the inexplicable OBS lag when detecting Minecraft...