Can't seem to fix streaming and recording lag issues, any advice?

admarcx

I'm new to the forum, I just created my account, please let me know if this isn't the right place to ask for help.

I've been trying to stream some Warzone gameplay to Facebook and it hasn't gone well. For a few seconds the gameplay is smooth, and then it lags a little, then it goes back, and so on. The same happens while recording, it looks very lagged in the video. However, while streaming or recording, my gameplay is completely fine, I can play without any problem, it's just the stream, or final video when recording that looks all lagged.

I know I don't have a great computer, but I used to be able to record without any problems, it used to affect my gamplay performance just a little bit, nothing that I couldn't handle to be honest. But now, it seems like my gameplay isn't affected, but the OBS results are not good. I don't remember the settings I had back then, it has been a while since I started doing this again, but I'm pretty sure I'm trying with lower settings now, which would make me think the results would be better, but apparently not.

I always run OBS as and administrator, I've tried capturing as Game Capture but it just looks bad, it gives me some sort of flashing, in Display Capture it's fine. I think the rest of the settings can be seen in the log below:

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/l9jXxhB9-EZN-Z2A
Specs.
1595260626806.png

I'm getting a new Motherboard, Processor and RAM memory within the next month, hopefully it will help make it easier for me to stream.

qhobbes

1. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
2. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode

Post new log or use Log Analyzer after making those changes.

admarcx

1. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
2. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode

Post new log or use Log Analyzer after making those changes.

Hey qhobbes!

First of all, thanks for your reply, the update took a while so I didn't have time to test it yesterday, but I just tried it today and it worked way better.

LOG File: https://obsproject.com/logs/yLm63LIbP2DNS0oq

I updated Windows, enabled Game Mode, and used "Game Capture" while only using my monitor. The stream looked great smooth-wise in comparison to previous tests. I might just leave my current settings as they are, I used the Wizard settings... However, seeing these results in the file, do you think there's anything else I can change on my settings that would probably improve either smoothness or quality? If not, it's alright, I think I can use these in the meantime as I improve my PC along the way, but if there's any recommendation, I'm happy to try it out as long as it may improve my stream.

Thanks, in advance.

qhobbes

1. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit (it should not be higher than your monitors refresh rate of 144) that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues.

Settings --> Output --> Uncheck box for "Psycho Visual Tuning"

2. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Read about General Performance and Encoding Issues.

admarcx

1. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit (it should not be higher than your monitors refresh rate of 144) that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues.

Settings --> Output --> Uncheck box for "Psycho Visual Tuning"

2. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Read about General Performance and Encoding Issues.

The gameplay was completely smooth while streaming, I already run low graphics settings because my GPU isn't that good, but you're right, I had unlimited frame rate, just changed it to a limit of 60, and changed the refresh rate to 60hz, I'll see if that helps too.

Thanks!