Audio Monitor

Audio Monitor 0.8.5

David_G

I'm using 64bit OBS 29.1.3 and Audio Monitor 0.8.3. After adding "Audio Monitor" to either "Media Source" or "VLC Video Source" then enabling "Volume linked to source volume" and subsquently altering the sources volume in the Audio Mixer OBS crashes both on exit and when switching to another scene selection. I get a Crash log with "VLC Video Source" but when using "Media Source" OBS doesn't produce one.
On further investigation the issue also happens by adjusting the Audio Monitors volume in the Audio Monitor volume panel without "Volume linked to source volume" being enabled. This looks to be the same issue as reported by RauliePolie.

RauliePolie

On further investigation the issue also happens by adjusting the Audio Monitors volume in the Audio Monitor volume panel without "Volume linked to source volume" being enabled. This looks to be the same issue as reported by RauliePolie.
As much as I wouldn't wish it on others, it's a relief I'm not the only one running into this issue!

I've narrowed it down to StreamDeckPlugin causing the crashes for me, not sure if you also have a Stream Deck in your setup.
Since a complete OBS reinstall and manual scene re-add failed, I decided to convert to Portable Mode which never crashed and realized it wasn't connecting to my Stream Deck.
I followed Elgato's instructions for setting it up for Portable versions (https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/ar...Deck-How-to-use-with-OBS-Studio-Portable-Mode) and sure enough, the crashes returned.

Thinking it could be the Filter toggle from the official OBS Studio plugin, I tried to setup a hotkey button paired with the obs-filter-hotkeys plugin and sill no luck.
I'm convinced there is some bad interaction between Stream Deck, Audio Monitor, and Move on exit that causes a crash every time.

Here is a new video demonstrating a clean exit and a crash on exit after installing SteamDeckPlugin:

(The Steam Deck buttons didn't trigger the effects since it was paired with the installed OBS that I was using to record, but the Portable OBS crashed regardless)
Important note - I always have to adjust the volume in the Audio Monitor tab to have it recognize the Move filters and stay in sync with the source volume, but the system will not crash if that adjustment isn't made oddly enough.
OBS will also make a static sound when exiting in these instances, which I used to associate with a guarantee crash until Portable Mode did not since StreamDeckPlugin was not installed.

Fingers crossed this gives some more insight into the issue; I'll be glad to provide any more data/examples.

Attachments

• Crash 2024-02-05 18-37-53.txt
    93.4 KB · Views: 10

David_G

As much as I wouldn't wish it on others, it's a relief I'm not the only one running into this issue!

I've narrowed it down to StreamDeckPlugin causing the crashes for me, not sure if you also have a Stream Deck in your setup.
Since a complete OBS reinstall and manual scene re-add failed, I decided to convert to Portable Mode which never crashed and realized it wasn't connecting to my Stream Deck.
I followed Elgato's instructions for setting it up for Portable versions (https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/ar...Deck-How-to-use-with-OBS-Studio-Portable-Mode) and sure enough, the crashes returned.

Thinking it could be the Filter toggle from the official OBS Studio plugin, I tried to setup a hotkey button paired with the obs-filter-hotkeys plugin and sill no luck.
I'm convinced there is some bad interaction between Stream Deck, Audio Monitor, and Move on exit that causes a crash every time.

Here is a new video demonstrating a clean exit and a crash on exit after installing SteamDeckPlugin:

(The Steam Deck buttons didn't trigger the effects since it was paired with the installed OBS that I was using to record, but the Portable OBS crashed regardless)
Important note - I always have to adjust the volume in the Audio Monitor tab to have it recognize the Move filters and stay in sync with the source volume, but the system will not crash if that adjustment isn't made oddly enough.
OBS will also make a static sound when exiting in these instances, which I used to associate with a guarantee crash until Portable Mode did not since StreamDeckPlugin was not installed.

Fingers crossed this gives some more insight into the issue; I'll be glad to provide any more data/examples.
It's much more basic for me to get the issue. On another Windows 10 machine I installed OBS 29.1.3 (64 bit) and Audio monitor 0.8.3, nothing else. I selected for mainly recording (no streaming). I created two Scene Collections with one not having any scenes. In the other I created one scene with a VLC Video source playing an mp3 and added Audio Monitor as a filter. I made the Audio Monitor Dock visible and adjusted the volume. When I switched to the empty Scene Collection it crashed.
It would be helpfull if @Exeldro would respond and I could provide more info to see why this fails for us.

Exeldro

@David_G thank you for those steps to reproduce. I was able to reproduce the issue and a fix is in the works. I expect a new version within a day.

RauliePolie

Crashing persisted on 30.0.2 for me with the plugin update, but it seems to finally be gone once I updated OBS to the 30.1.0 beta.

While it no longer crashes (pop-up nor crash report generated), OBS still prompts to run in Safe Mode on every launch.
I've added --disable-shutdown-check to the launch parameters and now I have a clean start and exit.

Thank you, Exeldro!

David_G

@David_G thank you for those steps to reproduce. I was able to reproduce the issue and a fix is in the works. I expect a new version within a day.
Thanks for the quick response. I've just tried it with OBS 29.1.3 (64bit) and confirmed that version 0.8.4 was installed and still get the same result changing scenes.

Attachments

• Crash 2024-02-10 16-04-34.txt
    53.4 KB · Views: 9

David_G

Hi All,

I have Windows 10, OBS 29.1.3 (64 bit) and Audio monitor 0.8.5 and sound is being sent for Inactive sources.

Audio Monitor is still outputting when its containing Scene isn't current and the source is showing as Inactive. I have two scenes, the first scene "Lecture" has one source, a sound card which sends sound to VB Meeter via a virtual cable. The second scene called "Empty" is empty. When I select the empty scene, sound is still being sent from the first scenes source.

The “Lecture” scene has an ASIO Input Capture source called “Creative ASIO Lecture” which captures my sound cards Creative ASIO Device Mix L and Mix R. It has an Audio Monitor filter called “Lecture Monitor” which outputs to the VB cable “Cable” which is connected to the Voice Meeter “Input 2”.

1709339835309.png

1709339851254.png
1709339863613.png

For this test nothing is outputting to VB Cable B and the inbuilt Audio Monitoring if Off for the Source
1709339886083.png

In the below “Empty” is the current scene with “Creative ASIO Lecture” showing Inactive but you can see from Voice Meeter that the Audio monitor is still outputting sound to the VB cable “Cable”

1709339908183.png