Resource icon

Free Animated Lower Thirds with Dockable Control Panel v.1.6

GracefullySeven

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank you for your great work with this extension! It's just what I needed! However, I'm not very experienced with programming/computers, and I'm having some trouble getting the lua script to work. It does NOT appear to be admin trouble. The error is seems to regard the program not finding the file. Error is as follows:

[lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua] Error loading file: cannot open C:/Users/anik/Documents/Animated-Lower-Thirds/lower thirds/lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua: No such file or directory

I have a Windows 10 computer. I started off with versions 1.6 and got this error when I tried to run the lua script with OBS. Just in case v1.6 didn't run on my computer properly, I deleted the extension and downloaded but v.15, but no luck, got the same error. I downloaded both of the versions on the admin account, so I shouldn't have had admin issues. Nonetheless, I tried to allow full control to the user account, tried moving the entire file out of the Program Files directory and tried moving only the lua script file out of the Program Files directory. None of that worked. Anybody know how to fix this error?

GracefullySeven

GracefullySeven

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank you for your great work with this extension! It's just what I needed! However, I'm not very experienced with programming/computers, and I'm having some trouble getting the lua script to work. It does NOT appear to be admin trouble. The error is seems to regard the program not finding the file. Error is as follows:

[lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua] Error loading file: cannot open C:/Users/anik/Documents/Animated-Lower-Thirds/lower thirds/lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua: No such file or directory

I have a Windows 10 computer. I started off with versions 1.6 and got this error when I tried to run the lua script with OBS. Just in case v1.6 didn't run on my computer properly, I deleted the extension and downloaded but v.15, but no luck, got the same error. I downloaded both of the versions on the admin account, so I shouldn't have had admin issues. Nonetheless, I tried to allow full control to the user account, tried moving the entire file out of the Program Files directory and tried moving only the lua script file out of the Program Files directory. None of that worked. Anybody know how to fix this error?

GracefullySeven
Spent the day trying to find fixes. Have become so turned around I no longer know what the trouble is. I started out assuming it was lua trouble (perhaps it is), because of the error message. However, I've seen people toggle the lower third on and off manually using the control panel even before they added the script into OBS. I cannot do this, the lower third does not display. The Main controls on the panel are highlighted blue (and turned on), but the individual boxes all highlight red, and I cannot get them to turn blue. I can upload logos, change the text, the colour of the text, etc. etc. When I try to display the lower third, it highlights red and does not display. The browser source is perpetually black , or empty (but it does not display the blue standard OBS browser-source image). The error continues to display.

I have run lua scripts with OBS before, used custom docks before, and I found a (much) simpler version of this tool, with no lua but with html files for the browser source and custom dock, that I managed to run successfully (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/animated-lower-thirds-with-control-panel.922/). It could do in a pinch, but I'd still like to give it a try and find out what the heck I'm doing wrongly that stops this tool from running.

Fisk31

Hi, is there currently any way to being able to have more than one space in-between text?

The reason I ask is because I am making a news sports ticker (something like you see on ESPN at the bottom), and want to include scores, however it only allows me to do one space between each letter.

Also I think in a future update it would be cool if you could have two logos for each lower third (since it would be nice to have team logos for each team on the same lower third).

thotoharris

Hey Everyone, Im having some issues with this awesome tool.

When i try to load the script on OBS Studio, i get this message:
"[lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua] Error calling script_load: ...tudio/Lower-Thirds/lower thirds/lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua:436: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/Lower-Thirds/lower thirds/../common/js/hotkeys.js: Permission denied"

And then, when i press any hotkey to show my logos, i get this message:
"[lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua] Failed to call hotkey_pressed for hotkey_pressed: ...tudio/Lower-Thirds/lower thirds/lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua:436: C:/Program Files/obs-studio/Lower-Thirds/lower thirds/../common/js/hotkeys.js: Permission denied"

Can anyone help me?

B2Run

Hi and thanks for this great plugin. My problem is that the plugin works but their Hotkey shortcuts doen't appear in the OBS panel. Maybe because I use a different language than English in OBS?
Thanks!

Goodguy6

Now that I've installed this lower thirds tool, what is the quickest and easiest way to add it to my other Scenes? It doesn't show up as a Source that I can simply add to a scene by clicking the + sign.

JorgeGascon

Hi there! First timer using this forum and I usually make a search before asking dumb questions but I honestly don't know how... Is there a way to copy a slot from one LT panel to another panel? This plugin is super useful, kudos!

JorgeGascon

Now that I've installed this lower thirds tool, what is the quickest and easiest way to add it to my other Scenes? It doesn't show up as a Source that I can simply add to a scene by clicking the + sign.
You can use Exeldro's Downstream or make a scene unique for LT and place it as a source in every scene.

JorgeGascon

Hi there! First timer using this forum and I usually make a search before asking dumb questions but I honestly don't know how... Is there a way to copy a slot from one LT panel to another panel? This plugin is super useful, kudos!
Oh, and another question... Is it possible to make it play the LT1 panel and then automatically play the LT2 and so on? This way I could have different colours and settings for different designs :)

NoeAL

Hi, is there currently any way to being able to have more than one space in-between text?

The reason I ask is because I am making a news sports ticker (something like you see on ESPN at the bottom), and want to include scores, however it only allows me to do one space between each letter.

Also I think in a future update it would be cool if you could have two logos for each lower third (since it would be nice to have team logos for each team on the same lower third).
Hi, to solve the problem of the space between letters, add this line to the end of the style-source.css file:

.text-content > div:first-child div, .text-content > div:nth-child(2) div { white-space: pre; }

I will fix it in the next update.

Thanks for your suggestions, maybe in the future a sport version could solve many of these problems.

NoeAL

Oh, and another question... Is it possible to make it play the LT1 panel and then automatically play the LT2 and so on? This way I could have different colours and settings for different designs :)
Hi! Unfortunately, at the moment there is no way to copy the data from one panel to another.
With regard to the second, it's one of the features that I would like to add in the future. Or some similar solution.

Thnks for your words!

untukku

See the arrow labels A and B and C.

42 12 - 17-05-2021.png

Two important questions (labels A and B) from my picture.

Arrow A -> Background wants to remain rounded (right side only), which currently only allows all four elbows to be rounded (can't determine each elbow).

I want the right side of the two elbows to be rounded, the left elbow of the two are still angled. Then the logo (in this image my logo says "LIVE" and a red arrow) MUST NOT CLOSE TO THE LEFT SIDE, meaning that a feature is needed to adjust the padding-left (if you can, the content inside the box-background can be changed to the padding: left, right, bottom, top).

By the way, how can we adjust the animation timing and arrival source (left, or right sliding, fade or other) of this background?

Arrow B -> SPACE I have added in the "info" field but I want the words "LIVE STREAMING" (in the "name" field) to be right in the center vertically. The ability of the tool is currently not available (see the point of orientation which I gave the arrow too). What is the solution?

I try to increase the font size (size of text) so it will also affect my settings on the small record-box labels 1, 2, even 3 (I discussed green arrows). I want numbers 1 and 2 not to be bothered anymore because they are cute and good. I only want it on the "3" label.

Arrow C -> this section (or all LT 1 settings, etc.) applies globally to the 10 little boxes inline that you provide. How about the 10 different settings? Maybe it gets more interesting in the next update.

Thank you very much NoeAL this tool helps many people including me, and hopefully you don't leave it stranded, but keep updating and getting cool.

Additions (maybe this will be your new tool / plugin NoeAL):
Maybe your LT tool can be developed / you create a new tool to have the ability to display like the 38:37 minute of this video https://youtu.be/EPxxR7tSrl0?t=2316 I don't know what the name is (Please everyone tell me what is the name of the logo which only appears like that for a second, is the name bamper or what?), the logo appears but for a moment , I want something like that.

Again Thank you NoeAL

csaq

Hello Noe, nice work with this resource and tutorial videos for instalation, took 5min to understad the tool. I was wondering if is there any change to use a custom image or animation as a background for the text?

Fisk31

Hi, to solve the problem of the space between letters, add this line to the end of the style-source.css file:

.text-content > div:first-child div, .text-content > div:nth-child(2) div { white-space: pre; }

I will fix it in the next update.

Thanks for your suggestions, maybe in the future a sport version could solve many of these problems.

This was one of the first tools / plugins I've ever really used, and I wanted to show you what progress I have as of now, and suggestions I have for the growth of this tool for the future.
(Also, huge thanks for that fix on the space between the letters, that helps a ton in my current version]

I apologize in advance that this is very long, but I feel it might be worth explaining in greater detail with photos as well

This is what I currently have as of now :

OBS Lower Third Current Example.png

I think this looks great so far, except of course it is really only limited to text on one entire line (and bottom line as well), that you can see in the blueish green section that is dedicated for the sports report section.

In the far right section, that is a separate lower third which is used for advertisements or promotions (for stuff like this, this needs no update in my opinion for my needs at least)

In terms of what can be improved in this, if you still have the motivation and time to work on this tool in the near future, I have some suggestions with a photo end goal for my case.

In the photo below it is an example of a real broadcast on what they use for a lower third (since in my case I plan to use it for sports, I used a sports example)

This example is a professional sports league example (NHL Network)

In the photo it is color coded to make it easier to see what I am talking about and below the photo I have written suggestions on what could work for each thing as an improvement to your tool/plugin for future updates.
OBS Lower Third Suggestion for NoeAl] 5-20-2021.png

In all these suggestions (if possible), it would be nice if these features could be in ONE LOWER THIRD MEMORY SLOT for smoother transitions and customization

#1 [Orange] - Ability to have multiple images in the same lower third memory slot [up to 4 or 5 would be nice if we could have one for team background bar [the orange and red bar], and 2 for team logos]

#2 [Purple] - Ability to have multiple text lines in each memory slot [I would say 3-5 would be nice, with the ability to make it so you could position it wherever you want, instead of it being limited to two with one on top of the other]

#3 [Green] - Scrolling Text feature that is incorporated into this would be nice as well. I know there are auto scrolling features out there, but I haven't seen any that involve a scrolling text feature than having it scroll to the next thing off a timer like yours.

[Blue] - The blue arrow represents the background image, so you can ignore this (since it is a stationary image that stays there at all times) You can also ignore the time listed in the bottom left and bottom right since that could also be done without the lower third memory slots.

I am aware that...

There are other options for this example, like it would be possible to have the PHI and team logo be one image source, while NJ and their logo be another, and then just have the "F (Final)" and goals/points for each team be one text source each while the scrolling text be another, but you never know what other possibilities or what other people might want more options for images / texts in the same horizontal (or even vertical) format.

Of course since I am not a coder, so I am not sure what downsides (if there would be any) would be if you made all these possibilities a reality, since I am not sure how much more resources this would take up. Not to mention I am also not sure how difficult adding any of these would even be.

I love the plugin the way it is now, except I think some of these features I suggested might also make the plugin have more options that can provide streams more options to create higher quality streams and broadcasts regardless of it being news/sports/gaming.

I am looking forward to future updates you have in store for us (if you continue to work on it), and I hope this tool/plugin (whatever it is exactly, I'm still new to using it to tell the difference), can continue going strong.

Last edited:

rogue-ronin

Under Linux, I cannot choose new logos, as the button does not open a file chooser.

I can delete the logo with the trash button, but not select a new file when I click "Choose Image". Nothing happens at all.

Manjaro Linux, kernel 5.12, xfce4.16, obs-studio RC5. Custom docks for Linux arrived with OBS v27, so cannot test against v26.

Otherwise this is looking good, but I can't test further until I can choose a file. :)

Aloha

rogue-ronin

This may be related to native GTK dialogs vs QT dialogs. I know there is a problem, as I've read something about it somewhere.... :)

ad1562

@NoeAL,

I'm trying to add custom actions to the lower-thirds_hotkeys.lua file, but because I lack programming knowledge, I am unable to get the results that I want. Please advise me on a solution.

I would like check the state of a particular Lower Third Switch (i.e. is the Switch enabled or disabled?) when using the onHotKey() function in the script. I've tried the following:

Lua:
local function onHotKey(action)
    if debug then obs.script_log(obs.LOG_INFO, string.format("Hotkey : %s", action)) end

if action == "A_SWITCH_1" then
        if hotkeySwitch1 == 0 then
            hotkeySwitch1 = 1
            hotkeySwitch2 = 0
            hotkeySwitch3 = 0
            hotkeySwitch4 = 0
        end
        update_hotkeys_js()
    end
end

The resulting behavior is not what I need. For example, when I first load OBS, if the Lower Third 1 switch is already enabled or if I manually enable it, pressing the hotkey for A_SWITCH_1 disables the switch. Instead, I would like pressing the hotkey for A_SWITCH_1 to enable the switch if it is disabled, and do nothing if it is already enabled.

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Regards,
Alex

PS - this is an absolutely fantastic plugin, I use it almost daily for many recordings and streams. Thank you!

kveldulv

Hi,

Lower thirds works fine, but as soon as I will change style from 1 to any other it will remove logo section. On the attached screenshot you can see that logo section has been removed from LT1 and LT2. In order to fix it I need to reinstall completely whole Animated Lower Thirds (v1.6). I have reinstalled few times whole OBS 26.1.1 in order to get this sort of working.

On other occasion I can get red highlight of the LT and setup is exactly the same, it will not work. Again I would need to reinstall OBS in order for it to start working.

PS, I have been working on vmix for many years as well as on other broadcast vision mixers and I have to admit OBS is simply brilliant.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• obs-logo-missing.jpg
    obs-logo-missing.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 68