Status
Not open for further replies.

sutriwilnes

sorry for noob question... i have AMD APU A84500m with AMD HD 7640 + AMD HD 8750M,,, is it supported for this plugin? sorry for bad english..

pathum

apologies in advance if im posting in the wrong place but google search led me here, I've gotta RX 570 and 1080p at 60FPS recording is just terrible on OBS right now. I was thinking whether your plugin would work... but sadly, Im on linux :(
Will there be a linux version of your plugin in the future mate?

Xaymar

apologies in advance if im posting in the wrong place but google search led me here, I've gotta RX 570 and 1080p at 60FPS recording is just terrible on OBS right now. I was thinking whether your plugin would work... but sadly, Im on linux :(
Will there be a linux version of your plugin in the future mate?

If someone makes it. This plugin is basically EOL once the FFmpeg Encoders plugin integrates h264_amf, as that plugin supports more features and can deal with true hardware encoding too. It also technically supports linux, in a way.

Hi @Xaymar , Im using RX 480 GPU, but in OBS i have only one options which is H264/AVC Encoder, I didnt found the H265 option, is it normal? thanks.

Capture.JPG

SpectreKid

@Xaymar Hey I have found online that the AMD Encoder has an ever so slightly inferior quality. Is there a way to optimize the VCE Encoder for maximum quality? I use 9000 bitrate and the AMD H.264 encoder.

Xaymar

@Xaymar Hey I have found online that the AMD Encoder has an ever so slightly inferior quality. Is there a way to optimize the VCE Encoder for maximum quality? I use 9000 bitrate and the AMD H.264 encoder.

AMDs H264 encoder is roughly equivalent to x264 superfast and hasn't moved much from there.
  1. Increase Bitrate.
  2. Make every frame a keyframe, can't be bad quality if there's nothing to compress.
  3. Switch to Nvidia to show AMD that this isn't okay to have a hardware encoder that is literally weaker than all of the competition.
  4. Just use x264, AMD seems to want people to move to it anyway.

SpectreKid

AMDs H264 encoder is roughly equivalent to x264 superfast and hasn't moved much from there.
  1. Increase Bitrate.
  2. Make every frame a keyframe, can't be bad quality if there's nothing to compress.
  3. Switch to Nvidia to show AMD that this isn't okay to have a hardware encoder that is literally weaker than all of the competition.
  4. Just use x264, AMD seems to want people to move to it anyway.
Thanks, Xaymar, currently my CPU is an Intel Core i7 6700, and I roughly can use Superfast anyways. I'd use AMD anyways, as the one advantage of AMD is that their encoder has virtually no impact on the performance (but I guess you knew that anyway), and also it's just fine.

For the keyframe, YouTube and I think Twitch uses 2 for the keyframe. Would there be a difference in quality, and how big would the difference be?

Xaymar

Thanks, Xaymar, currently my CPU is an Intel Core i7 6700, and I roughly can use Superfast anyways. I'd use AMD anyways, as the one advantage of AMD is that their encoder has virtually no impact on the performance (but I guess you knew that anyway), and also it's just fine.

For the keyframe, YouTube and I think Twitch uses 2 for the keyframe. Would there be a difference in quality, and how big would the difference be?

Changing the keyframe interval has a direct effect on bitrate. Lower keyframe interval = higher bitrate, because AMDs encoder is not good at compressing things, and ignores bitrate limits unless it is allowed to drop entire frames.

SpectreKid

Changing the keyframe interval has a direct effect on bitrate. Lower keyframe interval = higher bitrate, because AMDs encoder is not good at compressing things, and ignores bitrate limits unless it is allowed to drop entire frames.
So in order to make every frame a key frame I turn the key frame down or up? I turned it to 1 and that means every frame is key framed, right?

Xaymar

So in order to make every frame a key frame I turn the key frame down or up? I turned it to 1 and that means every frame is key framed, right?

If it's set to frames, yes. If it's set to seconds, it's just every second. Your problem by now isn't with the plugin though and more of a general question about how to increase quality with a hardware encoder that barely meets x264 superfast.

SpectreKid

If it's set to frames, yes. If it's set to seconds, it's just every second. Your problem by now isn't with the plugin though and more of a general question about how to increase quality with a hardware encoder that barely meets x264 superfast.
Hey, so I just did some testing over the past few days, and it seems like the AMD encoder is slightly below the 9000 bitrate cap I cap it at. You said that AMD ignores bitrate limits unless it is allowed to drop frames, so how do I make sure that it stays at a 9000 bitrate? Do I switch to CBR instead of VBR?

Xaymar

Hey, so I just did some testing over the past few days, and it seems like the AMD encoder is slightly below the 9000 bitrate cap I cap it at. You said that AMD ignores bitrate limits unless it is allowed to drop frames, so how do I make sure that it stays at a 9000 bitrate? Do I switch to CBR instead of VBR?

The difference between CBR and VBR for AMD is just if Filler Data is enabled and if it respects the Maximum Bitrate setting. Bitrate restriction in the AMD Encoder have multiple constraints:
  1. VBV Buffer Size
  2. Target Bitrate
  3. Maximum Bitrate (same as Target Bitrate in CBR)
With the "Strictness" VBV Buffer mode, the calculation of the VBV Buffer Size is done based on the Target Bitrate, not the Maximum Bitrate. You will need to relax the strictness in order to make it meet the Maximum Bitrate, which may or may not increase quality.

However that is exactly the problem. By relaxing the strictness of the VBV Buffer, the AMD Encoder willingly chooses to ignore the Target Bitrate completely, and may even ignore the Maximum Bitrate if it is relaxed enough. Which means it will try to match the Maximum Bitrate by dropping frames, if it is allowed to do so. IMO that isn't the way an encoder should work at all, as the Bitrate restrictions should be the actual restriction boundaries instead of the VBV Buffer.

SpectreKid

The difference between CBR and VBR for AMD is just if Filler Data is enabled and if it respects the Maximum Bitrate setting. Bitrate restriction in the AMD Encoder have multiple constraints:
  1. VBV Buffer Size
  2. Target Bitrate
  3. Maximum Bitrate (same as Target Bitrate in CBR)
With the "Strictness" VBV Buffer mode, the calculation of the VBV Buffer Size is done based on the Target Bitrate, not the Maximum Bitrate. You will need to relax the strictness in order to make it meet the Maximum Bitrate, which may or may not increase quality.

However that is exactly the problem. By relaxing the strictness of the VBV Buffer, the AMD Encoder willingly chooses to ignore the Target Bitrate completely, and may even ignore the Maximum Bitrate if it is relaxed enough. Which means it will try to match the Maximum Bitrate by dropping frames, if it is allowed to do so. IMO that isn't the way an encoder should work at all, as the Bitrate restrictions should be the actual restriction boundaries instead of the VBV Buffer.
Yeah, I agree. So in the end, do you recommend finding the perfect VBV Buffer Size, and just use CBR?

SyrupLeaf

Hi, @Xaymar My AMD Hardware Encoder is not showing up most of the time, It started out randomly just showing The AMD Encoder, Now it is not showing it at all even after how many times I've closed and opened obs again, How do I fix this? Please respond soon cause I have a live stream waiting for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.