Question / Help 15.4-16.5 Quicksync issue, kbps dropped to 0 without crash

servcovep

Hi,

My OBS after random up time just stops streaming kbps dropped to zero without any error, and OBS still think its broadcasting.

Attachments

• 2016-11-08 06-39-24.txt
    26.8 KB · Views: 36

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Code:
06:49:40.473: [qsv encoder: 'streaming_h264'] encode failed
06:49:40.490: Error encoding with encoder 'streaming_h264'

Something happened with the quicksync encoder. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and you shouldn't have monitors plugged into both the dedicated GPU and the on-board iGPU. Move all your monitors to the actual GPU.

servcovep

Code:
06:49:40.473: [qsv encoder: 'streaming_h264'] encode failed
06:49:40.490: Error encoding with encoder 'streaming_h264'

Something happened with the quicksync encoder. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and you shouldn't have monitors plugged into both the dedicated GPU and the on-board iGPU. Move all your monitors to the actual GPU.

Drivers are up to date, nothing is plugged in to the igpu.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Rolling back is never a good solution, especially right now with the Windows 10 AU causing havoc (I understand he isn't on windows 10).

Please don't suggest users roll back without a very good reason.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
The quicksync code hasn't changed in ages in OBS, and certainly not between 0.15.4 and current. Have you reached out to @RytoEX to gather more information on what's actually going on? It's better to fix this, and bugs like this are usually very high priority for Jim to look at, we just need more info.

The quicksync code hasn't changed in ages in OBS, and certainly not between 0.15.4 and current. Have you reached out to @RytoEX to gather more information on what's actually going on? It's better to fix this, and bugs like this are usually very high priority for Jim to look at, we just need more info.

Already am in the process on debugging.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
@xKlokwerkz
Rolling back is generally only acceptable if there is no viable alternatives in the current version or for testing purposes. There are viable alternatives - don't use Quick Sync to stream, use another encoder. If, for some reason, someone absolutely must use Quick Sync to stream, any recommendation to rollback must come with the caution and understanding that older versions may be broken. For example, 0.15.4 lacks:
  • the Windows 10 AU workaround code
  • NVENC b-frames
  • NVENC profile support
  • fixes for NVENC crashes
  • force stopping streams/recordings
  • the AMD AMF encoder
  • fixes for D3D9 game capture hooks
  • text source fixes
  • window position preservation fixes
  • improved property dialog window UIs
  • DX12 game capture (experimental)

That's just a summary. There are also lots of other fixes that I didn't mention. Users should also understand that many people here may not provide support or troubleshooting for older versions of OBS. If a user is okay with those conditions, then... I guess they can rollback, but I generally wouldn't recommend it.

servcovep

I did try to rollback to the 0.15 version but I've got the issue in that too, but it used to work on that before, and now it doesn't work there either. So for now I'm using x264, but I have to put it to superfast otherwise it's too much, that's why I was using quicksync.

I did try to rollback to the 0.15 version but I've got the issue in that too, but it used to work on that before, and now it doesn't work there either. So for now I'm using x264, but I have to put it to superfast otherwise it's too much, that's why I was using quicksync.
Did you uninstall .16 then reinstall the .15 version or just run the ,15 installer? When I just ran the .15 installer over my .16 installation I still had issues. I did an uninstall of .16 and installed .15.4 and managed to steam for like 8+ hours today with quicksync without issue.

servcovep

Did you uninstall .16 then reinstall the .15 version or just run the ,15 installer? When I just ran the .15 installer over my .16 installation I still had issues. I did an uninstall of .16 and installed .15.4 and managed to steam for like 8+ hours today with quicksync without issue.

No, I'm using the zip version, so not installed. Both 15.4 and 16.4 are there separately, they just use the same settings.

No, I'm using the zip version, so not installed. Both 15.4 and 16.4 are there separately, they just use the same settings.
I see, this issue just seems super weird the more I hear about it. I wish i could have reliability recreatde it so I could provide relevant logs too.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Can anyone reproduce this in portable mode in either 0.15.4 or 0.16.5? The last user I asked had difficulty reproducing in portable mode, so I'd like to hear others' results on that.

@servcovep
From your log:
08:31:24.573: [qsv encoder: 'streaming_h264'] encode failed
08:31:24.582: Error encoding with encoder 'streaming_h264'
08:31:24.582: Called profile end with mismatching name: start("do_encode"[000007FEE5C69AE0]) <-> end("receive_video"[000007FEE5C69AF0])
Just noticed your 0.16.4 log has the same error. That's a bit different from the "frame drops due to insufficient bandwidth" that I'm seeing in other logs, so I'm not sure that your issue is exactly the same.

servcovep

Can anyone reproduce this in portable mode in either 0.15.4 or 0.16.5? The last user I asked had difficulty reproducing in portable mode, so I'd like to hear others' results on that.

@servcovep
From your log:

Just noticed your 0.16.4 log has the same error. That's a bit different from the "frame drops due to insufficient bandwidth" that I'm seeing in other logs, so I'm not sure that your issue is exactly the same.
Yes, bandwidth is not an issue, with CBR I can stream for hours without any dropped frames.