Question / Help 15.4-16.5 Quicksync issue, kbps dropped to 0 without crash

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
So is there anything I can do right now to make it work?
Aside from temporarily rolling back to OBS Studio 0.15.4, no.

I had this same issues with all 0.16.x iterations, I uninstalled and used 15.4 instead, issue as gone
Yes, we are aware that the issue solely comes up in 0.16.x. The issue itself seems to be from something much deeper in the Quick Sync code that only became apparent in 0.16.x due to changes in how OBS drops frames during network congestion.

servcovep

Aside from temporarily rolling back to OBS Studio 0.15.4, no.

Yes, we are aware that the issue solely comes up in 0.16.x. The issue itself seems to be from something much deeper in the Quick Sync code that only became apparent in 0.16.x due to changes in how OBS drops frames during network congestion.
If it's only 16.x why do I have the log posted here with 15.4 about the same error?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
If it's only 16.x why do I have the log posted here with 15.4 about the same error?
As I commented about your 0.15.4 log:
@servcovep
Just noticed your 0.16.4 log has the same error. That's a bit different from the "frame drops due to insufficient bandwidth" that I'm seeing in other logs, so I'm not sure that your issue is exactly the same.

You're experiencing a Quick Sync encoder failure, not the issue where OBS drops all video frames while streaming with Quick Sync. The issue you experienced in 0.15.4 is different than the issue originally described, which is:
Hi,

My OBS after random up time just stops streaming kbps dropped to zero without any error, and OBS still think its broadcasting.

The issue you experienced in 0.15.4 is probably an issue with Quick Sync on Windows 7, as shown here. That is a separate issue, which is also being looked into by Jim. He can only do so many things at once, however, and the Windows 7 Quick Sync patch is pretty large and complex. I've just recently reviewed that patch, but I don't fully understand its contents.

Last edited:
I had the same issue, switched to Software encode. My fps and bitrate would drop to 0, sometimes it would recover and othertimes it would go offline till obs could reconnect using Quicksync. I'm sure is something to do with a win10 patch breaking Qsync

servcovep

I had the same issue, switched to Software encode. My fps and bitrate would drop to 0, sometimes it would recover and othertimes it would go offline till obs could reconnect using Quicksync. I'm sure is something to do with a win10 patch breaking Qsync
Not likely since I use win 7.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
No. The issue with OBS 0.16.x and Quick Sync is due to a combination of a recent change in OBS frame dropping behavior and a possible Intel Quick Sync encoder bug.

Not likely since I use win 7.
Windows 7 has other issues with Quick Sync, as I previously mentioned:
The issue you experienced in 0.15.4 is probably an issue with Quick Sync on Windows 7, as shown here. That is a separate issue, which is also being looked into by Jim. He can only do so many things at once, however, and the Windows 7 Quick Sync patch is pretty large and complex. I've just recently reviewed that patch, but I don't fully understand its contents.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
That remains to be seen. The specific issue that you originally cited in 0.16.x about the stream dropping to 0 Kbps will have been fixed in the next release. However, I can't say for sure if Quick Sync on Windows 7 will be problem free.

servcovep

That remains to be seen. The specific issue that you originally cited in 0.16.x about the stream dropping to 0 Kbps will have been fixed in the next release. However, I can't say for sure if Quick Sync on Windows 7 will be problem free.
So if it still doesn't work after we get the patch, hopefully soon, my only option is to upgrade to win 10?

servcovep

off topic question about quicksync, why is there no custom buffer size option? It uses cbr, and cbr has it, so do we not need it for this at all or?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
off topic question about quicksync, why is there no custom buffer size option? It uses cbr, and cbr has it, so do we not need it for this at all or?
@servcovep
I don't know the answer to that question. I know that FFmpeg's NVENC implementation does not support custom buffer sizes, which is why NVENC doesn't have it in OBS. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for Quick Sync.

OBS Studio 0.16.6 is now out, which should now prevent Quick Sync from endlessly dropping frames while streaming.

VorgunTheBeta

This should help, its so annoying because its been doing this for a while now

Attachments

• 2016-11-21 13-31-14.txt
    15.5 KB · Views: 19