Question / Help Stream disconnecting randomly when using Quicksync

Hi, since the Windows 10 AU problem forces me to use OpenGL encoding which increased my CPU utilization, i reworked all my scenes and switched to Quicksync to decrease Utilization to useful values again.

This worked, for some days. since weekend (when twitch made their changes with twitch prime // when windows had a incremental update again) my streams keep stopping. there is no error message, there is nothing to be found in the logfile. My internet connection is fine.

OBS seems sending out a stream but shown upload drops from about 3000 to 170 while the browser window tells me that the stream is offline.

here are some configurations i have used today
quicksync@500 bits = runs (of course its useless, just tested with it)
quicksync@2000 bits = runs most of the times (sometimes breaks, randomly, large timespans between)
quicksync@2200 bits = breaks a bit faster
quicksync@2500 bits = breaks after few seconds
quicksync@3000 bits = breaks immediately
x264@2500 bits = runs flawlessly

same bitrate on quicksync or x264 and the quicksync encoded stream breaks? my internet connection is 100 mbit down and 5 mbit up. so it should be sufficient. when i checked the internet connection i saw that my router was indeed sending data. and in addition, i found something called twitch inspector. i checked some of my streams that seemed broken for me and i found this:

Twitch Inspector Screenshot 1
Twitch Inspector Screenshot 2

OBS is INDEED sending data (red area) but there dont seem to be useful streaming data since the graph doesnt move anymore. i uploaded two pictures so you can see a time difference. on the second one, obs kept sending nothing for about 1.3 minutes. that was the time i needed to notice and restart the stream. i could provide some more of these pictures. its just like obs seems stopping sending encoded data but still sends something that is being registered by twitch (maybe the video container) else i wouldnt be able to analyze it with twitch inspector.

this is the logfile

this wouldnt be a problem to me if i could use x264 encoding and directx11 rendering. but thanks to Windows 10 AU, i cannot. i have to use opengl and i have to use quicksync to counter the cpu-hungry opengl rendering
please. help me. this is driving me nuts.

Hi, i have tested an hour yesterday and 0.15.4 works fine for me. i tried to broadcast at a bitrate of 3000 and even that seems to work better since there was less cpu utilization.

Now i'm facing a new problem. every several seconds obs has frame drops. not much, but they are there. i lowered the bitrate to lower the upload. no change. i changed to x264 cpu encoding, no change:
Logfile

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
That's bizarre since nothing in the QSV code has changed since 0.14.2. Some of the RTMP code has changed since 0.15.4 though.

You probably can use DirectX 11 and x264, you just have to be really careful about disabling the preview and adding/editing sources. See the latest update to the PSA post regarding the disable preview workaround.

That's bizarre since nothing in the QSV code has changed since 0.14.2. Some of the RTMP code has changed since 0.15.4 though.

You probably can use DirectX 11 and x264, you just have to be really careful about disabling the preview and adding/editing sources. See the latest update to the PSA post regarding the disable preview workaround.

Unfortunately there are 3 people, myself included, that is having issues with QS on 0.16.2 that have no issues on 0.15.4 I honestly am at a lost :x

we might compare to find similarities This is my system
The newest Logfile shows my streaming settings.

I just tested it as i reinstalled my display driver today and i cannot believe that it works with preview turned off. my problem seems to be solved. tested it for about 10 minutes since crashes always occured earlier.

thinkpink

I am having similar problems after switching to 16.2. I've always used Quicksync for encoding. I have deferred Windows Update settings, so I do not have the Anniversary Update. I was not having issues with the previous version of OBS Studio (uncertain which version it was before upgrading), but now I have intermittent network lag. I have experienced the problem enough times to be able to test upstream stability right at the instant of frame drop/OBS-->Twitch server degradation, and there were no issues using Twitchtest or numerous bandwidth monitors. Trying 15.4 tonight & will upload second log file.
First log file (16.2)

Attachments

• 2016-10-25 23-40-47.txt
    28.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: