Question / Help OBS randomly dropping frames, no obvious culprit.

fatmatrow

Here's the issue as best as I can explain it. I have 23-24 mb upload on every bandwidth test, On the twitch bandwidth program, VA and NY servers are 10000+ with a 100 Quality rating. I know my internet is stable, not capped, and not throttled. I literally have never had any issues connecting to twitch (and the settings in the logfile have been the same since early this year, bitrate included.

For the last 4 or 5 days, I'll be streaming for an hour or 2, no dropped frames, cpu usage fine, and suddenly OBS Studio will just start dropping frames out of nowhere, and won't stop until I actually stop the stream, then I immediately start up again with no issues...until an hour or two later then boom, it happens again. I've had to do this multiple times a night for the last few days. It's almost like once it's triggered, it doesn't automatically reconnect. I'm well versed with OBS Studio, but this is the first thing I haven't been able to figure out. I'm at my wits end my dudes. Anyone think they have an answer?

Attachments

• 2016-10-28 02-54-07.txt
    32.3 KB · Views: 40

KillswitchAUT

Have the same problem as well. OBS Studio just all of a sudden starts to drop frames like hell. 5mbit up, works perfectly fine for hours sometimes. It started just a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Log from today, 5min before I stopped stream it started to drop frames. http://pastebin.com/M7qEVGgB

Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
You're both streaming using Quick Sync in 0.16.2. There have been reports about Quick Sync having streaming issues in 0.16.2 but not 0.15.4 or 0.16.3. Try updating to 0.16.3. Unfortunately, there is no detailed information about why this occurs.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm using x264, not QuickSync H.264, unless it's basically the same though.
You're right, you're not. I must've mixed your log up with someone else's. @fatmatrow is though, so I stand by my original answer there.

As for yours, I don't see anything that stands out. Try updating to 0.16.4, but I'm not sure this is an OBS problem. If it just started a couple weeks ago, you may have some changes/interference from your ISP. Before hijacking this thread more though, I'd just a new thread for your issue, if it's still occurring. When you post a new thread, include new logs, as well as a screenshot of the Twitch Bandwith Test tool using a Medium Test Duration for your region with a 64k TCP Window Size.

fatmatrow

You're both streaming using Quick Sync in 0.16.2. There have been reports about Quick Sync having streaming issues in 0.16.2 but not 0.15.4 or 0.16.3. Try updating to 0.16.3. Unfortunately, there is no detailed information about why this occurs.

When I posted this it was only 16.2

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
When I posted this it was only 16.2
Yes, but by the time of my reply that you've quoted, 0.16.3 was out, and other users had reported similar issues which 0.16.3 had solved, which is why I recommended to update to see if it fixed your issue.

Regardless, OBS Studio 0.16.5 is out now. Try that.