Question / Help OBS - 0.16.2 - Dropping Frames Upon Starting Stream

I honestly am lost and confused. On 0.16.2, as soon as I tab ingame my bitrate drops and stalls. Prior to updating to 0.16.2, I was on 0.15.4 and was able to stream with no issues. As I am typing this post, I downgraded to 0.15.4 and have no issues streaming. If you could guide me with your knowledge, I'd highly appreciate it! It's strange as the same settings and such works fine on the previous version of OBS:S.

Log File: http://pastebin.com/dzenYZq2
Video showing what is going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTEjXLDHGM4

arbiter

I have noticed when using 16.2 on mine my stream gets limited to 20fps, go back to old 15.4 flat 60 fps stream.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
21:55:08.992: Output 'adv_stream': Number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 111 (5.9%)
21:55:08.992: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 215 (11.4%)
21:55:08.992: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 1542 (81.4%)
That's a lot of issues, but most of it seems network related.

@xKlokwerkz
If you could also provide logs from OBS Studio 0.15.4 with the exact same scene collection, profile, settings, and game, that would be helpful.

@arbiter
If you could also provide logs from both OBS Studio 0.16.2 and 0.15.4 running the exact same scenario, that would be helpful.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The only noticeable difference I saw between your logs was that you streamed to restream.io instead of Twitch. Incidentally, your frame drops went away, which seems to indicate a network issue (possibly intermittent) between you and Twitch. If you could stream to Twitch directly with 0.15.4 and show that there are no frame drops, that would be helpful.

All the same, I am not sure what could cause anything you're describing where 0.16.2 introduces new encoding lag from 0.15.4.

@RytoEX Immediately after the initial experience with Restream.io, I chose to connect to a Twitch server directly and experienced the same fault. Reason it didn't show up initially was due to wanting a clean log to document it. It however happened on both Restream.io and Twitch when I was on 16.2. However immediately after downgrading I was able to stream over restream.io once again.

_Zo

BibleBumping as well, having the same kind of issue, with both streaming and local recording. Works flawlessly with 0.15.4.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
BibleBumping as well, having the same kind of issue, with both streaming and local recording. Works flawlessly with 0.15.4.
Please post logs from 0.15.4 and 0.16.2 with the exact same scenes and settings.

Edit:
@_Zo
Wait... You said in a different thread:
QS isn't supported on my system, unless there are some BIOS settings which I've looked over.
So you're not using Quick Sync at all, right? I'm inclined to say that your issue is different from the one @xKlokwerkz is talking about.
(End Edit)

@xKlokwerkz
I think I've suggested before that this is not actually a Quick Sync problem, but a problem specific to streaming. Do you experience any issues when recording using Quick Sync in OBS Studio 0.16.2 that you did not experience in 0.15.4? How about 0.16.1 or 0.16.0? How about when streaming using something other Quick Sync (x264, VCE, NVENC)? Can you reproduce the issue in a fresh Scene Collection (perhaps in portable mode)? There have been no changes to OBS Studio's Quick Sync code since 0.14.2, so while it may happen when using Quick Sync, it's not necessarily a "Quick Sync" problem, is what I'm getting at.

If you want to get into a deep-dive of debugging, PM me.

Last edited:
@RytoEX

Upgraded back to 0.16.2 and had the same issue on a clean scene. However, I had the time to try 0.16.3 and it seemed that the issue is no longer there. Successfully streamed and recorded for 16 minutes using QS with no issues on 0.16.3.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
@RytoEX

Upgraded back to 0.16.2 and had the same issue on a clean scene. However, I had the time to try 0.16.3 and it seemed that the issue is no longer there. Successfully streamed and recorded for 16 minutes using QS with no issues on 0.16.3.
There were 97 commits between 0.16.2 and 0.16.3, and a lot of those were changes to the D3D subsystem, but none of those were to Quick Sync. I have no idea exactly what would have changed that would affect your issue, but I'm glad it's working?

There were 97 commits between 0.16.2 and 0.16.3, and a lot of those were changes to the D3D subsystem, but none of those were to Quick Sync. I have no idea exactly what would have changed that would affect your issue, but I'm glad it's working?

No idea in all honesty but will report back if there is further issues.

leporel

@RytoEX
streamed 2 hours without problem, but next day the problem came back

Last edited: