DadBitterbatter

Hey gamers.
I've been trying to record and stream from my 144hz gaming computer to my streaming rig.
I've tried everything but when I'm at 144hz it has terrible frame stutter.
My gaming PC isn't dropping FPS in game or losing frames
My recording PC isn't dropping frames either.

I've found that if my gaming PC is at 60fps, it records fine, but I don't want that.
Assume that both computers are pretty beefy.

Gaming PC has
-i9990
2080ti
Recording PC has
-i7 4970
I've included a DXDIAG for both of my computers
Is there any way to get a consistant 60FPS using this setup, while keeping my gaming monitor at 144hz?

Attachments

• GamingPCSpecs.txt
    95.6 KB · Views: 42
  • RecordingPCSpecs.txt
    26.7 KB · Views: 38

DadBitterbatter

Post a log file from your gaming PC from a recording session.
So just to clarify, I don't record on my actual gaming PC. It's my understanding I just need it OPEN to have NDI work, right?
I have replay buffer on my Recording PC and clip when exciting content happens.

I'll send you a log right now though. one moment.

carlmmii

So just to clarify, I don't record on my actual gaming PC. It's my understanding I just need it OPEN to have NDI work, right?
I have replay buffer on my Recording PC and clip when exciting content happens.

I'll send you a log right now though. one moment.
Your gaming machine still has to supply the frames to the NDI pipeline, so if there's a problem getting those frames there with consistent timing, then your recording PC will just be encoding that stuttering all the same. Garbage in, garbage out.

The logs for your gaming PC seem incomplete -- do a full recording session of 1-2min, close out OBS on your gaming pc, then re-open OBS and upload the previous log file.

DadBitterbatter

Your gaming machine still has to supply the frames to the NDI pipeline, so if there's a problem getting those frames there with consistent timing, then your recording PC will just be encoding that stuttering all the same. Garbage in, garbage out.

The logs for your gaming PC seem incomplete -- do a full recording session of 1-2min, close out OBS on your gaming pc, then re-open OBS and upload the previous log file.

Oh woah, holy crap. It really sounds like you know your stuff! You're super well versed. I'll do it right now. Thanks! Brb

DadBitterbatter

unknown.png

This is a screenshot from my GAMING Pc

My stuff is greyed out and it won't let me change it.
What's curious is it looks like it's using a folder from my other Streaming PC.
Is it possible that it's just mirroring the settings from my streaming PC?

Tomasz Góral

If you have ruuning NDI Output or streaming or record, this setting is greyed (they cannot be changed at this time).
Game DVR - set OFF.
NDI is for TV, and working with TV standard like 1080p60 or 1080p50.

DadBitterbatter

If you have ruuning NDI Output or streaming or record, this setting is greyed (they cannot be changed at this time).
Game DVR - set OFF.
NDI is for TV, and working with TV standard like 1080p60 or 1080p50.
What does "GameDVR" mean?

I'm not trying to make my NDI accept the full 144fps, I just want some way to make it so that the NDI smoothly takes the 144 and turns it into 60fps without stutter.
Is that possible?

carlmmii

Looks like all your frame loss is due to rendering lag. Run OBS as administrator and that should clear up.

As far as framerate goes though, I would recommend only running at 120fps instead of 144. The downconversion to 60 is correctly going from 120->60 since it can just discard every other frame. Going from 144->60 means that there will always be a fluctuating timing between frames, since it will bounce between 1 and 2 frames being discarded.

DadBitterbatter

Looks like all your frame loss is due to rendering lag. Run OBS as administrator and that should clear up.

As far as framerate goes though, I would recommend only running at 120fps instead of 144. The downconversion to 60 is correctly going from 120->60 since it can just discard every other frame. Going from 144->60 means that there will always be a fluctuating timing between frames, since it will bounce between 1 and 2 frames being discarded.
Nice! Thanks! I'll give that a shot!