Resource icon

Avoid Washed out Colors while streaming (wide gamut monitors) - LUT solution

Common Problem :
Some people are experiencing a big issue with OBS while streaming with a wide gamut monitor and a custom ICC profile like "Monitor native or adobeRGB or DCI-P3" icc profiles :
Colors are washed out on the stream (twitch / youtube for example).

My solution requires Photoshop.

Troubleshooting :
1)
Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins\obs-filters\LUTs\original.png" in Photoshop.
2) If the "Missing Profile" popup is displayed : select "Assign Profile" and select your monitor icc profile :
My ICC profile for my monitor is called "eizo - spyder 5", make sure to take your own ICC profile.

tuto1.png

If the popup is not displayed : go to "Edit > Assign Profile" and select your monitor icc profile :

tuto2.png

tuto3.png

3) At this point you can convert the original.png to sRGB (converting your display colors to sRGB) : "Edit" > "Convert to Profile..."

tuto4.png

And select "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" :

tuto5.png

4) Save the new LUT we have created : "Save As" and saving as for example "myLUT.png".

5) In OBS, you can select your scene, and source, and apply a Filter / LUT :

tuto6.png

And Select " + " and "Apply LUT" :

tuto7.png

In the next panel, chose "Browse" and select the LUT we have created before :

tuto8.png

Close the window.

Now, your stream will display the corrects colors and luminosity !
Just to mention it :
As in "color management" in photoshop : converting a document from a big color space to a smaller one involves to loss some colors (AdobeRGB -> sRGB for example). So, you must take that in account.
But the thing is, it is now displayed correctly without washed out colors etc.
You don't have to manage the settings in the advanced tab : Color Format NV12 / YUV Color Space 709 / YUV Color Range Partial.

Enjoy your true colors converted to sRGB (rec709) !
Reactions: VideoVamp
Author
efreetcs
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings