XPS 8300 (i7 - 2600 @ 3.40 GHz) Livestreaming @ 1080p and 60fps (450W PSU - 16GB RAM) - running windows 10

arancel

Hi,

I am trying to set up a livestreaming channel on Youtube and my current GPU(HD7770) does not encode and the live streaming is running on the processor, which makes it very slow.

Is there a Video Card that you would suggest using for the XPS 8300? We do not have much on it (taking power) only 1 HDD and 1 SSD and nothing much after that.

We would like to have preferably a Nvidia card (NVENC) but I am unsure which one to use, as not all NVIDIA cards have encoding options in them.

Could you please recommend any cards that would be helpful? Also not pricey... we don't have much money

Here is my log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/u3u9Bj4nHq5aX1Bv

Thank you for any help on this!

Lawrence_SoCal

you do realize an i7-2600 is 8/9 generations old, right? forget 60fps, only with the lightest of loads would even 30fps work (and even then, probably not)... ok, yes you can get it to work, if you really know how to optimize OBS, use low settings, and know how to optimize the OS and reduce hardware resource utilization

don't feel bad, my primary PC is an XPS Studio 9100 with an even older i7-9xx CPU (~2 generations older than yours)

I'm not sure, but I suspect that PC is a PCIe v2 based system, so all the GPU you are looking at would be PCIe v3 (CPU generation after yours?). The recommended GPU for NVENC is the GTX 1650 Super as it has the Turing encoder... but getting that GPU with that old of a system isn't likely to be worth it. Personally, I'd only try if I could borrow/return the GPU if it doesn't work out. Would older GPUs work as well, yes, but not as well, at small $ savings

Video encoding is a resource intensive task (CPU/GPU) and modern software expects modern capabilities. Your PC is going to be very limited in what it can stream, if it can at all...

arancel

you do realize an i7-2600 is 8/9 generations old, right? forget 60fps, only with the lightest of loads would even 30fps work (and even then, probably not)... ok, yes you can get it to work, if you really know how to optimize OBS, use low settings, and know how to optimize the OS and reduce hardware resource utilization

don't feel bad, my primary PC is an XPS Studio 9100 with an even older i7-9xx CPU (~2 generations older than yours)

I'm not sure, but I suspect that PC is a PCIe v2 based system, so all the GPU you are looking at would be PCIe v3 (CPU generation after yours?). The recommended GPU for NVENC is the GTX 1650 Super as it has the Turing encoder... but getting that GPU with that old of a system isn't likely to be worth it. Personally, I'd only try if I could borrow/return the GPU if it doesn't work out. Would older GPUs work as well, yes, but not as well, at small $ savings

Video encoding is a resource intensive task (CPU/GPU) and modern software expects modern capabilities. Your PC is going to be very limited in what it can stream, if it can at all...

Thank you for your response. I do not think that the PC will be able to handle much. We have tried to livestream and it does it but with a bit of delay. Would even a "Low Profile" card (Like GT 730 - which has NVENC) improve somewhat the quality? It is not going to be at par with modern computing, but can it even be feasible for "continuous" recording?

Would a card like this (GT 730 - $100) be able to be handled by my desktop (XPS 8300) and be able to handle the encoding there to somewhat improve the livestreaming capabilities?

Thank you for any help on this!

rockbottom

The 2600 also has QuickSync. I can't tell you if it's any good as I have a Z68 Mobo but if it's available in OBS for you, it may be worth a shot for 1080p.

arancel

The 2600 also has QuickSync. I can't tell you if it's any good as I have a Z68 Mobo but if it's available in OBS for you, it may be worth a shot for 1080p.

I managed to install the HD 7770 (1GB) properly and now OBS recognizes the AMD encoder (H264) so I will attempt to use that and hopefully it can go up to 1080p and 60fps. If not maybe Ill change it either to 30fps or 720p