Question / Help Which OBS setting give the best recording quality to me?

D

Deleted member 330497

Then, as I suppose, enabling them (the CUDA-related OBS settings) for streaming (the same old games) would be even less reasonable as CBR does not provide comparable quality to CQP?

carlmmii

It doesn't work like that.

CBR and CQP are two different ways of controlling how much data is allocated for the compressed result. CBR targets a specific bitrate. CQP targets a specific quality level.

For recording, CQP is recommended because there is really no limitation for instantaneous bitrate. All you need to do is target a general quality target, which results in a certain expected final file size.

CBR operates with a hard limit of maximum bitrate. That said though, if you set your bitrate high enough with CBR, you will have great quality regardless of how hard it is to compress the scene. It may not be necessary to use that much data for the easier-to-compress scenes, but it has that much it can use, so it does. CBR not a recommended way of controlling bitrate for recording just because of how wasteful it can be on the whole, but for streaming it is a requirement due to bandwidth restrictions for streaming platforms.

D

Deleted member 330497

Ah, I see now. So, taking into account that the streaming platforms (YT, Twitch) have their bitrate limits (recommendations), the CUDA-related OBS encoder settings (Look ahead, Psycho Visual Tuning, Max Quality) would actually make a difference for visual quality of the stream, however, as the features are GPU-demanding, they may cause modern games to stutter in result? Do you have any experience with streaming (or recording) with these features enabled and encountering any particular issues? Is the difference in quality noticeable?