Virtual Camera Window Capture: Out of focus/blurry

imoop

Hi fellow OBS user,
I#ve encountered a really annoying issue with using the virtual camera in Teams – every time I use it to present either a presentation or other programm using the window capture feature, the presented image gets blurry (and moving!). This is only visible in the actual Teams call and not in OBS itself, there the picture is clear. What is weird is that the "blurriness" is moving along the e.g., presentation so that some parts are visible and clear while others are too blurry. It seems like this is somehow connected with the webcam input since it seems to move along with adjusting brightness in the video feed. My webcam (Logitech Brio 4K) is working fine, and tweaking the resolution does not have an impact, nor using the blurriness in Teams or any other camera settings. I already re-installed Microsoft Teams (the issue happens with both the new and old Teams), resetted the camera, used different docking stations etc.

To be honest I do not know any further, I will upload a picture/video of the issue. Is there anyone who experienced this before or know where the issue lies? It worked before on my MacBook Pro M3 (Sonoma 14.3) but not anymore.

Screen-recording on WeTransfer: https://we.tl/t-HtDUpLMnXn

Explanation of the attached screen-recording: You can see even before activating the Virtual Camera, that the image looks blurry (left side in Teams). When activating, the PowerPoint presentation on the left is in some areas blurry but not in all (face is clear, text is blurry)....

Thank you so much for your help!

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/05WncYHgTqx1VQFN

derWu

It seems that the standard portrait mode is activated by MAC OS. In addition, the app using the virtual cam does not show in the menu bar that a "webcam" is being used. Here, the portrait mode could otherwise be turned off.

Either one manages to turn off the portrait mode in Mac OS by default, or the integration of the virtual cam in Mac OS needs to be revised.

derWu

I think I have found a workaround.

In your application (Zoom, 3CX, Teams, or similar): Switch to any webcam. Disable the portrait mode and then switch back to the OBS Virtual Cam.

After that, I didn't experience any more blurring effect.

The main issue seems to be that MAC OS doesn't fully recognize the Virtual Cam as a webcam.

imoop

I think I have found a workaround.

In your application (Zoom, 3CX, Teams, or similar): Switch to any webcam. Disable the portrait mode and then switch back to the OBS Virtual Cam.

After that, I didn't experience any more blurring effect.

The main issue seems to be that MAC OS doesn't fully recognize the Virtual Cam as a webcam.
I am not sure if this works permanently but it did work for me as well now. Thank you for trying and testing! That makes it a lot better haha. I deactivated the portrait mode before (and everything else) but the switching I did not do in this order...

Thank you