Question / Help Stream is pixelated when moving too much. Recommended bitrate/settings?

MigzzA

Hey,
So I've been streaming for a little while now, and I've noticed that my stream and webcam can get pretty pixelated when moving in more graphic intensive games.
I'm not sure if its the settings I currently have for OBS or my computer specs is the problem.
Attached here are my current settings:
1.PNG

Capture.PNG

Please let me know if I should change anything to increase the quality of my streams!
Thanks in advance.

FerretBomb

3500kbps is nowhere close to enough for 1080p60 video. You need around 12000kbps for a standard game, and more for fast-motion. If you're streaming to Twitch, their advertised ingest limit is 6000kbps. Advised to either drop to 30fps, or downscale to 720p, or both.

That said, don't get lost chasing numbers. One of the easiest traps for new streamers to fall into; fixating on 1080p or 60fps, or trying to get perfect image quality. Livestreaming is about finding the best compromise point. The more bitrate you use, the smaller your potential audience. No one will come to your stream just for 1080p60 video. Most people won't fullscreen it (and the pop-in viewer is around 720p on a 1080p monitor), and a lot of people won't be watching the video at all, just have you on as background noise.

MigzzA

3500kbps is nowhere close to enough for 1080p60 video. You need around 12000kbps for a standard game, and more for fast-motion. If you're streaming to Twitch, their advertised ingest limit is 6000kbps. Advised to either drop to 30fps, or downscale to 720p, or both.

That said, don't get lost chasing numbers. One of the easiest traps for new streamers to fall into; fixating on 1080p or 60fps, or trying to get perfect image quality. Livestreaming is about finding the best compromise point. The more bitrate you use, the smaller your potential audience. No one will come to your stream just for 1080p60 video. Most people won't fullscreen it (and the pop-in viewer is around 720p on a 1080p monitor), and a lot of people won't be watching the video at all, just have you on as background noise.
Oooh.. okay interesting.
So you suggest increasing to 12000kbps?
I'll also try downscaling to 720 fps. Do you know if the quality of the stream will be affected much? Because I also post the vods on a seperate Youtube account and it'd suck if it was crap quality.

FerretBomb

Again, it depends on the platform you're streaming to.
If you're streaming to YouTube, 12000 or even 20000 would be fine if your connection can support it, and 1080p60 should work fine.
Twitch, not so much. They have limited permitted bandwidth, which isn't enough for 1080p60. Downscaling or dropping your framerate would be appropriate, along with boosting to 6000kbps.

MigzzA

Again, it depends on the platform you're streaming to.
If you're streaming to YouTube, 12000 or even 20000 would be fine if your connection can support it, and 1080p60 should work fine.
Twitch, not so much. They have limited permitted bandwidth, which isn't enough for 1080p60. Downscaling or dropping your framerate would be appropriate, along with boosting to 6000kbps.

Alright, I'll use your suggested settings next time I try streaming and hopefully it improves my bitrate!
Thanks, Ill let you know if it works!