Resource icon

Scene Tree Folder plugin for OBS Studio 0.1.5

nuttylmao

Simple and fantastic plugin! Here are some suggestions to make this even better, in order of importance:
  • There's no visual distinction between what is a scene and what is a folder. This could be fixed with some simple text formatting, icons or using a + symbol for folders (the latter is the best option).
  • Use connecting nodes to make it easy to distinguish tree depth. This will make it easier to determine how deep a folder is in the tree view.
  • Add the ability to hide scenes/folders. This would make it easy to hide subscenes that are never intended for use in production.
  • Scenes appear in reverse order compared to the native scene list. These should appear in the same order.
  • Custom formatting options and coloring would also be nice.
Other than that, great job so far!

cupuno

I would like to suggest a feature, could we transition to the scene when double click in studio mode (same as original option), in stead of rename the scene?

DigitOtter

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into it.
@nuttylmao , it should be fairly easy to add visual indicators to show depth and to distinguish between folders and scenes, as well as fixing the ordering.
I think that hiding scenes/folders would get a bit messy from a UI perspective, as I would probably have to add a second menu to show the hidden items and give users the option to unhide them. On my instance, I've set up a folder labelled "Other" for everything that shouldn't be displayed directly.

@cupuno , I can add an option to switch double click behavior.

cupuno

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into it.
@nuttylmao , it should be fairly easy to add visual indicators to show depth and to distinguish between folders and scenes, as well as fixing the ordering.
I think that hiding scenes/folders would get a bit messy from a UI perspective, as I would probably have to add a second menu to show the hidden items and give users the option to unhide them. On my instance, I've set up a folder labelled "Other" for everything that shouldn't be displayed directly.

@cupuno , I can add an option to switch double click behavior.
thank you very much.

napoellis

I extracted the zip and copied it into the OBS studio folder and after it all the plugin is appearing in OBS but when I click the folder icon which I circled below and it crashes OBS. I am on the most recent version of OBS and I've tried copying the plugin back to obs-studio folder again multiple times and still got the same issue.

1652641541370.png

DigitOtter

@napoellis I just uploaded a new version, could you check if it works with that?

If it still doesn't work, could you post the log and crash log? They should be under C:\\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\logs and ...\crashes respectively.

earlyBIRBirl

@napoellis I just uploaded a new version, could you check if it works with that?

If it still doesn't work, could you post the log and crash log? They should be under C:\\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\logs and ...\crashes respectively.
I believe it is because that created 2 folders with the same name. I created 2 folders both with different names and once I changed one of them to be the same with the other. OBS crashed

Mushiiies

Great work!
Where are the trees stored? I use a dev/live change-over with OBS and if I move a scene collection between OBS plants then the tree is lost.

Great work!
Where are the trees stored? I use a dev/live change-over with OBS and if I move a scene collection between OBS plants then the tree is lost.

In my case, I created a portable OBS Studio install with all the plugins I normally use and took my existing scene collection, then folderized it. The only way I can bring it in reliably that I've tested thus far is directly copying it in the (Path to OBS Studio portable install)\config\obs-studio\basic\scenes\blah.json (Path to homedir)\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\basic\scenes and it will work. However, if I try to rename the collection, as described above, the folder structure immediately vanishes.

Otherwise, I like what I see!

--Katt. =^.^=

DigitOtter

The trees are stored under <Path to homedir>\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\plugin_config\obs_scene_tree_view\scene_tree.json.

Sorry, at the moment, OBS version 27.2.4 doesn't inform plugins if a scene collection is being renamed. It's difficult to distinguish between a collection being renamed and a new one being created. Having said that, the upcoming OBS version will have this feature, so I'll be able to move the folder structure along when a rename occurs.

Currently, you could open the above json file and rename the scene collection name there. This is inconvenient and I'm open to suggestions on how to fix the issue

The trees are stored under <Path to homedir>\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\plugin_config\obs_scene_tree_view\scene_tree.json.

Sorry, at the moment, OBS version 27.2.4 doesn't inform plugins if a scene collection is being renamed. It's difficult to distinguish between a collection being renamed and a new one being created. Having said that, the upcoming OBS version will have this feature, so I'll be able to move the folder structure along when a rename occurs.

Currently, you could open the above json file and rename the scene collection name there. This is inconvenient and I'm open to suggestions on how to fix the issue

Thanks for the explanation, so at least I now have a basic understanding of the true nature of the beast. I will have to investigate later once things have calmed down after my upcoming stream. I'm not worried about this kind of inconvenience presently as I rarely need to rename stuff; at least I know what lurks in there now. :3

--Katt. =^.^=

DigitOtter

Thanks for the explanation, so at least I now have a basic understanding of the true nature of the beast.
That's a great way of putting it :D

If you need help with the json file editing, let me know. I can give you an outline of the file structure.