Question / Help Ryzen 3950x RECORDING settings

ToMoSK1

Hey guys,
Im struggling to set the best recording settings for my cpu preset recordings.

I want to record at 1080p60fps

I currently have set this:

Downscale filter: Lanczos 32bit
Cpu usage: MEDIUM
Profile:High
Bitrate 10 000kbps
2 audio tracks

Downscaling from 2560x1080.

My problem is that with recording For example Re2 or Re3 remakes it feels its choppy maybe its only me but i would love someone to look at it and give me some tips.
Im also using 2 monitors which
one is 2560x1080 @144HZ
second 1920x10880 @60HZ
Obs is MINIMIZED on the 144HZ screen.

FOR example Video at 30:40 : https://youtu.be/AjE14DIif3E

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3950x @4.18ghz (aio water cooling)
MBO: Msi x570 gaming edge wifi
GPU: Msi RTX 2070s gaming x trio
Ram: 2x16gb 3600mhz G-Skill trident
Game is on samsung M2 ssd and recordings are written to HDD

Thanks in advance :)

carlmmii

Please post a log with your issue! Here's how...

I will point out though that if all you're doing is recording, then it would probably be a better idea to just use Nvenc for the encoding, especially considering you're using a turing card. The 3950x is a beast, sure... but there's absolutely no gain to be had when all that's being done is recording, as the quality can be set to any cqp value, and the encoding is very little hit to the GPU (no more that it is with offloading things back over the PCIe bus to the CPU).

ToMoSK1

Please post a log with your issue! Here's how...

I will point out though that if all you're doing is recording, then it would probably be a better idea to just use Nvenc for the encoding, especially considering you're using a turing card. The 3950x is a beast, sure... but there's absolutely no gain to be had when all that's being done is recording, as the quality can be set to any cqp value, and the encoding is very little hit to the GPU (no more that it is with offloading things back over the PCIe bus to the CPU).
to be honest i tried recording with NVENC (NEW) but it was lagging horribly whatever i set.. when i tried recording trought nvidia shadowplay in gmane at 1440p60fps there was no problem at all at custom setting best quality 130mbs/bitrate but no trought OBS. what does cqp means instead of cbr? and what number should i set?
thanks for reply

carlmmii

Need a log file of a recording to troubleshoot why you are having issues. Otherwise we have nothing to go off of.

CQP is a quality based encoding setting -- the encoder will adjust bitrate to keep a constant quality in the output... as opposed to CBR, which gives a set bitrate, and the quality can fluctuate wildly based on how complex the scene is, since it's only allowed so many bits to compress it.

ToMoSK1

Need a log file of a recording to troubleshoot why you are having issues. Otherwise we have nothing to go off of.

CQP is a quality based encoding setting -- the encoder will adjust bitrate to keep a constant quality in the output... as opposed to CBR, which gives a set bitrate, and the quality can fluctuate wildly based on how complex the scene is, since it's only allowed so many bits to compress it.
I have posted my log file here: https://github.com/ToMoSK98/ToMoSK1
Please take a look and if you can and are willing to contact me on discord: ToMoSK1#6890

carlmmii

Run OBS in administrator mode. The majority of the issues you're encountering are from rendering lag, which is the result of OBS not getting GPU priority to perform the scene rendering within the timing window necessary for 60fps output. Running in administrator mode will allow OBS to add itself to the prioritization list for windows, which should hopefully remedy this.

As a side note, don't record directly to .mp4. If anything happens where there's a hiccup in recording and OBS can't finish writing to the file, then the entire file will be corrupted. Instead, record to .mkv. If .mp4 is needed for editing afterward, then you can remux it quickly directly through OBS (there's even an option to automatically remux to .mp4 after recording is finished).

ToMoSK1

Run OBS in administrator mode. The majority of the issues you're encountering are from rendering lag, which is the result of OBS not getting GPU priority to perform the scene rendering within the timing window necessary for 60fps output. Running in administrator mode will allow OBS to add itself to the prioritization list for windows, which should hopefully remedy this.

As a side note, don't record directly to .mp4. If anything happens where there's a hiccup in recording and OBS can't finish writing to the file, then the entire file will be corrupted. Instead, record to .mkv. If .mp4 is needed for editing afterward, then you can remux it quickly directly through OBS (there's even an option to automatically remux to .mp4 after recording is finished).
going to try it ASAP,(can i somehow set it to always open as ADMINISTRATOR? about the MKV, how can i format it to mp4? or how can i open mkv? thanks a lot for replies

carlmmii

For administrator, if you have OBS pinned to your taskbar, then just right-click -> right-click again on the actual OBS shortcut -> properties -> Compatibility Tab -> Run this program as an administrator.

For .mkv, you can play .mkv files directly with VLC. VLC is basically the defacto program for all media playback, and has been for the last decade.

For actually converting from .mkv back to .mp4, there's 2 ways. The first way is the manual way:
In OBS, go to File -> Remux Recordings. Then just add all the .mkv files you want in the "OBS Recording" section, click Remux, and wait the few seconds/minutes for it to complete. [note: this has absolutely no impact on quality -- all it does is change the container format. The longest part about this is actually writing all the new data to disk]

Then there's the automatic way:
OBS settings -> Advanced -> Recording: Automatically remux to mp4