Problem when my camera starts recording

scouter3000

Hello !

My handycam (HC-V160) connects to my pc through the EZCAP HD 60. On hardware level this means mini HDMI to HDMI.
Now, the OBS does recognize this connection as a "webcam source". But when I press the "REC" button of the camera, then OBS turns black. When I stop the recording, I can see what the handycam sees, again.

Why is that and, most important, how can I solve it ?

Thank you in advance !

DCStrato

Hello !

My handycam (HC-V160) connects to my pc through the EZCAP HD 60. On hardware level this means mini HDMI to HDMI.
Now, the OBS does recognize this connection as a "webcam source". But when I press the "REC" button of the camera, then OBS turns black. When I stop the recording, I can see what the handycam sees, again.

Why is that and, most important, how can I solve it ?

Thank you in advance !
Pretty sure the HC-V160 only allows the external HDMI port to work in Playback Mode. Pressing record turns off the external HDMI port going to OBS via the EZCAP. Page 19 of the user manual only mentions playback via the HDMI.

scouter3000

Thank you DCStrato ! Your response is "to-the-point" and has clarified everything for me, with reference to my options with this handycam.

As regards the purchase of a future camera, how may I avoid the recurrence of this issue ? E.g. is there a specific attribute (or non-attribute) I should be checking for this reason ?

DCStrato

Thank you DCStrato ! Your response is "to-the-point" and has clarified everything for me, with reference to my options with this handycam.

As regards the purchase of a future camera, how may I avoid the recurrence of this issue ? E.g. is there a specific attribute (or non-attribute) I should be checking for this reason ?

I would just confirm it can support display to an external monitor in record mode. Do you need to "record" from the Camera? I have used camcorders in the past with OBS and just used the video feed. I do any recording with OBS. Some of these camcorders also stop video when you plug them into an external supply which limits their function in a fixed location.

scouter3000

Thank you !!

With reference to the recording part ; I prefer to keep the "most original" material for the archive, because this would be the one with the best quality. Of course if there is no other option (like in our case), I guess the OBS recording would suit me fine.

Any cameras which might offer display in external monitor while in recording mode ? I mean ones you may happen to know and thus recommend, I will do my homework too.