OBS Suddenly Recording Huge Video Files

TheaXaoc

I've been using OBS (currently on OBS 27.2.4 64-bit Windows) record while streaming for some time now. It's not serious; just a hobby to encourage me to not forget one of my passions.

While moving files to flash drives for better CPU performance, I noticed that my videos absolutely ballooned in size since the 1st of December, more than four times their usual size (4 hours a stream).

Old file sizes: 2-4 gigs for about 4 hours
New file sized: 8-18 gigs for about 4 hours

I didn't change my video recording parameters, so I'm very confused as to why it's so different now. Also, desperately trying to compress the files so I can store them away and free up some all the space I'd intended to.

If you need me to make any attachments, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you in advance.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
If you're using quality based rate control, the file size can vary significantly depending on the complexity of the scene being encoded. Higher motion and more detail will result in larger files.

TheaXaoc

The jump in file size occurred while playing the same game. There wasn't a switch to a different title during the time in which the file sizes increased dramatically in size.

Furthermore, when I did switch games, it was to a much less complicated game with far less depth of graphics and movement to capture.

Gordon1

The jump in file size occurred while playing the same game. There wasn't a switch to a different title during the time in which the file sizes increased dramatically in size.

Furthermore, when I did switch games, it was to a much less complicated game with far less depth of graphics and movement to capture.
Did you ever figure out what happened?