HelloIT

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I am currently trying to get OBS software to work with a church mixer. Currently we have a win10 pc hooked up to a Mackie FX Pro 22 v2 board. I am not a sound person so I dont know much about the sound board at all. Currently I got the program to record but when I play it back it sounds very different, super quiet and barely audible, so in other words we cant record because playback isnt audible enough to hear the speaker. I have tested it with play normal music through the speakers and speaking on the mic, tested just speaking in the mic w/no other sound, tested it with just music and its always the same result barely any sound playing back and if i recall correctly playing back the tests where i would have music playing and me talking into the mic like a normal speaker would you cant hear the persons voice at all, even when they are yelling into the mic with music low you cant hear the persons voice when played back.

We have 2 cd players hooked up to the board and the desktop audio to play music out of as well then we have wired and wireless mics. I just need to try to get the board to record at an audible level we did try turning up volume and down volume on the board when we tested but it didnt help. I think i need to change some settings with the OBS program but I am not sure what to change or where/how.

Please see the current settings attached of the program and PC. Please realize that in one of the pictures there are 2 different setting boxes included I couldnt upload all of them so the 2 i had to put side by side and take a picture to include it.

I have looked at the forums and the one that seemed most similar is https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-studio-playback-audio-too-quiet.43162/ at the bottom of the thread about playback.

I am trying to gather a handful of things to test with as I only have one day a week to try and test to see if it will record, so I am trying to make the most of the one day i have to test every week.

We only use this software to record audio not video.

Any help is appreciated. All of the pictures are the default settings, I am not sure what settings to change around to get this to work.

If you have any questions please ask and i will try to answer them the best i can.

Attachments

• 20210103_123406.jpg
    20210103_123406.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210103_123418.jpg
    20210103_123418.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    867 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    996 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    842.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    491.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7.1.PNG
    7.1.PNG
    496.7 KB · Views: 55

HelloIT

Show your audio settings in Windows system.
Why you don't use dedicated software for audio recording ?
Because as of right now that isnt an option. This is the only thing we have and I tried getting Audacity to work and it was a mess. This was easier to try to setup.

Lawrence_SoCal

I also do HoW streaming (last 9 months) and we moved to our Presonus AR12 USB sound panel. Currently I use an AUX out, to 3.5mm adapter [along with a 75ft cable) (had to try a variety to get the right combination that worked with the audio interface on our PC). Sometime soon I'll be moving the PC into the sound closet (and using long KVM cables) connect the PC via USB, and loading the audio mixer straight onto the PC

Your post is about OBS. But, my suggestion is to focus on the sound panel output configuration, then the Windows OS level input (OBS not even started). Try using Windows Recorder (or similar) to check your inputs... etc
ther are all kinds of implications of TRRS, TRS, line level or mic level inputs, etc... these are all physical considerations that impact the sound signal getting to your motherboard, and how it is interpreted (long before OBS can see it). You need to get all this right, before tweaking (if any) in OBS

ONLY after you know you are getting solid audio input to the PC (not think, know) then start working with OBS. Can you guess why I'm emphatic about this.... fortunately, the member who set up our sound panel was around to help and between his audio expertise, and my PC knowledge we were able to get it to work well for us

Expect that the audio mix (sound board settings) for in-person attendance (ie Sanctuary) and that required for broadcasting WILL be different (meaning if you have to determine if your audio panel has Main out, and an AUX out that can be separately configured (mine can), whether you are planning to bring all audio channels separately into OBS PC (what I'll be doing when I connect Sound Panel via USB) or a single audio mix (single audio, not data, cable from sound panel to PC), and then based on that, where you plan to adjust audio for livestream/OBS
Not my area of expertise, but it is possible, once you get past physical connection considerations, to KISS and have an adequate sound for your stream. Really tweaking audio to make it sound great is NOT simple (beyond me and my ears). Also, different styles of worship have different requirements and expectations on audio
Good luck on your journey

HelloIT

I also do HoW streaming (last 9 months) and we moved to our Presonus AR12 USB sound panel. Currently I use an AUX out, to 3.5mm adapter [along with a 75ft cable) (had to try a variety to get the right combination that worked with the audio interface on our PC). Sometime soon I'll be moving the PC into the sound closet (and using long KVM cables) connect the PC via USB, and loading the audio mixer straight onto the PC

Your post is about OBS. But, my suggestion is to focus on the sound panel output configuration, then the Windows OS level input (OBS not even started). Try using Windows Recorder (or similar) to check your inputs... etc
ther are all kinds of implications of TRRS, TRS, line level or mic level inputs, etc... these are all physical considerations that impact the sound signal getting to your motherboard, and how it is interpreted (long before OBS can see it). You need to get all this right, before tweaking (if any) in OBS

ONLY after you know you are getting solid audio input to the PC (not think, know) then start working with OBS. Can you guess why I'm emphatic about this.... fortunately, the member who set up our sound panel was around to help and between his audio expertise, and my PC knowledge we were able to get it to work well for us

Expect that the audio mix (sound board settings) for in-person attendance (ie Sanctuary) and that required for broadcasting WILL be different (meaning if you have to determine if your audio panel has Main out, and an AUX out that can be separately configured (mine can), whether you are planning to bring all audio channels separately into OBS PC (what I'll be doing when I connect Sound Panel via USB) or a single audio mix (single audio, not data, cable from sound panel to PC), and then based on that, where you plan to adjust audio for livestream/OBS
Not my area of expertise, but it is possible, once you get past physical connection considerations, to KISS and have an adequate sound for your stream. Really tweaking audio to make it sound great is NOT simple (beyond me and my ears). Also, different styles of worship have different requirements and expectations on audio
Good luck on your journey

Thank you for the help. In regard to the sound panel output configuration, I can tell you how its setup and show pics if that helps. Their is a usb cable that goes from the pc into the back of the sound board (its like one of the usb printer cables is what it is), then for pc sound we have a 3.5mm audio (from the pc) to a 2 male rca adapter cable end (plugging into the board). In the close up pic attached, the comp or pc audio is labeled 17/18, which is the 3.5 to rca connection I mentioned. Aside from that my guess is that the output connection is fine because I am not really sure what other output to check that goes from the PC to the board (we have a cd player that connects to the board that has been included in recording testing as well and its always the same result as mentioned in the original post above). If I am miss understanding something please let me know. OBS can see it because you can see the bar go back and forth when someone is talking into the mic but playing it back its just quiet or barely audible.

I have tried different programs like audacity, vlc, etc. and i get the same issue either no sound recording or barely audible. OBS seems to be the more user friendly of the programs and it seems like we've made some progress with the fact it at least records something at times. I have an IT background but am not an audio person and I am the only tech person in our church so there is really no one else I can go to to help me figure this out (ive tried the product vendors (like the company that manufactured the mixer) and its just a matter of i have to figure out how the board works and whatever recording program we decide to use, which is obs and have both the sound board and the program work in tandem.....easier said than done).

Attachments

• board.PNG
    board.PNG
    885.6 KB · Views: 46
  • close up.PNG
    close up.PNG
    566.8 KB · Views: 41

Lawrence_SoCal

Why outputting sound from the PC to the sound board? Do you have A/V sources on PC that you want to be heard in Sanctuary?

And be clear on your audio issues?
- I'm assuming your concern is about audio INPUT sources on teh sound board, and getting those into OBS and streaming that audio. Right?
If yes, PC out to sound board is not relevant (and again, I wonder why have it at all... I don't but we have no-one attending in person. We also aren't the type of congregation to have a large monitor where once folks are back for in-person worship... so there would never be anything on the PC for anyone but OBS operator to hear (ie use headphones, not sanctuary sound system)... but depends on your specifics, like if you have a dedicated room for streaming PC and audio, and using room speakers for monitoring??? just saying, I could see a use case...) anyway

With that said, if you are using USB to transmit audio signal from the board to the PC, then my understanding (way outside my area of expertise) is that you need the right software/driver to process that USB audio signal.
You already installed https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/Mackie_USB_Driver_v4_67_0.zip ??
Then there is the audio processing/control software is usually referred to as DAW (digital audio workstation??). For you , I see https://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first and others listed at ProFXv3 Series Analog Mixers with Effects and USB | Mackie . You will eventually want to step up to using features like compression, noise reduction, etc. My recommendation to start though is just to pick the simplest, free, option (DAW). The whole point of the DAW is that instead of mixing on the physical panel, you will have access to each audio channel, and can do a separate mix on the PC. And the output of the DAW becomes your Audio Source in OBS. Hopefully, you can have your sound person (who ever is responsible for adjusting that soudn panel, help with settings on DAW)... KISS to start...
As I mentioned earlier, This whole DAW set up is something I'm going to get to soon. haven't done it yet. For now

The simpler, less complicated/flexible approach, might be to NOT use the USB for audio signal transfer, and simply use one of the AUX outputs on the panel (the v3 of your panel has 3 separate AUX outputs according the spec sheet.) and route that to your audio input port on PC (usually 3.5mm TRS or TRRS... but depends on motherboard)

So long answer... start with making sure you have the right USB driver installed. Then you RTFM on the audio USB connection from the panel ;^) you may (or may not) need DAW software to adjust settings to set proper volume level... just depends on the driver

Oh, and re-reading your post ... As for recording. I stream and record using OBS. I have no need/use for a separate audio recording, so not sure what you are referring to. Previously (in-person worship), audio of the sermon was recorded direct on the sound panel. Once we re-start in-person (not expected for many months at this point), I'm not sure we'll bother with audio only recording ... maybe, but why bother if full audio/video recording available in our stream library with no bandwidth charges?? only real use would be those who listened podcast style

Feel free to reach out direct

HelloIT

Why outputting sound from the PC to the sound board? Do you have A/V sources on PC that you want to be heard in Sanctuary?

And be clear on your audio issues?
- I'm assuming your concern is about audio INPUT sources on teh sound board, and getting those into OBS and streaming that audio. Right?
If yes, PC out to sound board is not relevant (and again, I wonder why have it at all... I don't but we have no-one attending in person. We also aren't the type of congregation to have a large monitor where once folks are back for in-person worship... so there would never be anything on the PC for anyone but OBS operator to hear (ie use headphones, not sanctuary sound system)... but depends on your specifics, like if you have a dedicated room for streaming PC and audio, and using room speakers for monitoring??? just saying, I could see a use case...) anyway

With that said, if you are using USB to transmit audio signal from the board to the PC, then my understanding (way outside my area of expertise) is that you need the right software/driver to process that USB audio signal.
You already installed https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/Mackie_USB_Driver_v4_67_0.zip ??
Then there is the audio processing/control software is usually referred to as DAW (digital audio workstation??). For you , I see https://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first and others listed at ProFXv3 Series Analog Mixers with Effects and USB | Mackie . You will eventually want to step up to using features like compression, noise reduction, etc. My recommendation to start though is just to pick the simplest, free, option (DAW). The whole point of the DAW is that instead of mixing on the physical panel, you will have access to each audio channel, and can do a separate mix on the PC. And the output of the DAW becomes your Audio Source in OBS. Hopefully, you can have your sound person (who ever is responsible for adjusting that soudn panel, help with settings on DAW)... KISS to start...
As I mentioned earlier, This whole DAW set up is something I'm going to get to soon. haven't done it yet. For now

The simpler, less complicated/flexible approach, might be to NOT use the USB for audio signal transfer, and simply use one of the AUX outputs on the panel (the v3 of your panel has 3 separate AUX outputs according the spec sheet.) and route that to your audio input port on PC (usually 3.5mm TRS or TRRS... but depends on motherboard)

So long answer... start with making sure you have the right USB driver installed. Then you RTFM on the audio USB connection from the panel ;^) you may (or may not) need DAW software to adjust settings to set proper volume level... just depends on the driver

Oh, and re-reading your post ... As for recording. I stream and record using OBS. I have no need/use for a separate audio recording, so not sure what you are referring to. Previously (in-person worship), audio of the sermon was recorded direct on the sound panel. Once we re-start in-person (not expected for many months at this point), I'm not sure we'll bother with audio only recording ... maybe, but why bother if full audio/video recording available in our stream library with no bandwidth charges?? only real use would be those who listened podcast style

Feel free to reach out direct
I will reach out direct. Thank you for your help.

Lawrence_SoCal

when i read 75 foot on an analog Signal ufff
Generally, yes.
In my case, with a professional 16+ channel 75ft XLR snake (and only using 2 channels), with line level adjusters/adapters at either end (from 1/4" plugs to XLR, over snake, then line level XLR to adjuster/adapter to 3.5mm TRRS cable... totally doable, and all gear we already had. The only new purchase was the RCA to 3.5mm TRRS cable
So, yes, not ideal, but with someone who set up our sound system helping out, took less than an hour to figure out which set up 3.5mm cable/adapters, and line level adjustments to use
This was done as sound panel in back of sanctuary, and started using only USB webcam (so PC had to be right up front). We tried a Bluetooth headset adapter to streaming workstation laptop, but audio quality wasn't that good. We could have purchased a 3.5mm extension cable to plug into lav mic, but priest wasn't keen to be physically tethered so using existing wireless mic system and Sanctuary sound system made more sense, and I know eventually (once indoor/in-person is safe .. late this summer maybe?) I'll need to work off sound system anyway, so was worth hooking up when we did (I had alternatives if the long XLR cable didn't work)

For our outdoor Christmas Eve service, using a different sound panel, I used a 50ft gold-plated 3.5mm TRRS extension cable, which fortunately worked fine (no line level adjusters, but audio person adjusted output/gain level on output)