OBS not allowing discord to be recorded separately from mic

DarkiDoki

hey i can only record discord audio when it is sharing a track with my own mic, but i would like to have them in their own tracks... even though obs is showing that discord is being picked up it does not record unless is shares a track with my microphone. is this a bug or am i doing this wrong? please message asap :) the picture shows how i want it too be but it doesnt work unless the desktop(discord) is checked with my mic. thank you.

Attachments

• properties.png
    properties.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 602

koala

Media players will always play back one track at a time only. You can switch between tracks in their audio menu, but you cannot mix multiple tracks for playback. You will find 3 audio tracks in the audio menu of your player, and you can switch between them and hear what has been recorded there.
The purpose of multi track audio is to feed the tracks into your postprocessing software, mix them, and replace the single tracks with the one mixed track.
For fast preview without postprocessing software, add an additional track within OBS and mix all audio sources in it like this:
1609247960596.png

Here you have as track 1 a mix of all sources, and in tracks 2-5 each source separately. This way I can immediately listen to track 1 with everything mixed in, and if I feel the urge to postprocess the sources separately, I can use the other tracks to create a new mixed track.

DarkiDoki

Media players will always play back one track at a time only. You can switch between tracks in their audio menu, but you cannot mix multiple tracks for playback. You will find 3 audio tracks in the audio menu of your player, and you can switch between them and hear what has been recorded there.
The purpose of multi track audio is to feed the tracks into your postprocessing software, mix them, and replace the single tracks with the one mixed track.
For fast preview without postprocessing software, add an additional track within OBS and mix all audio sources in it like this:
View attachment 65180
Here you have as track 1 a mix of all sources, and in tracks 2-5 each source separately. This way I can immediately listen to track 1 with everything mixed in, and if I feel the urge to postprocess the sources separately, I can use the other tracks to create a new mixed track.

okay it's been a while and i thought it was fixed but its broken again! when i tried to do it while recording a different game it wouldnt work and then when i tried to use my scene that worked but now it is broken too :'( can you please explain why? it works sometimes but not all the time, each recording is different. please show how to fix!!

Attachments

• ryrfhgfhgh.PNG
    ryrfhgfhgh.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 176

lunadix28

Hi all and excuse me for my question but is related to this topic.

How i could have desktop sound separated from game sound? i now have a channel for desktop sound and a channel for mic (and another both). I want to create a channel for a specific program (discord for example). it's possible? there is a guide?

BluePeer

default make own topics for question
but for that what you looking for
you need own sound lines for split this
like virtual sound cards/drives/cables voicemeeter and audio cables can make this

it adds new "sound drives" then you select not your speaker as output on game/discord and use this other drives on OBS
this is the only way to seperate sounds there exist multiple software/hardware for this

koala

To extract the desired sources from the mix of general desktop audio is a common task. You need to "split" audio - that's the term used in the linked guides.

In general, it works like this: you install a virtual audio device and configure the app you want to record to output its sound not to the default device but to that virtual audio device. In OBS, you record that virtual audio device. These guides all deal with separating audio with different focus:

DaveGrand

View attachment 65180
Thank you for pointing this out. This solved my issue as I had no idea that the media player was only playing one of the tracks. Cheers!