Question / Help OBS horrible lag in Stream AND recordings

katha

Hello fellow OBS users, I'm new to everything streaming and recording. I have been trying to set up streaming all day and made no headway.
I am on a Macbook pro 2013 model, on mojave, screenshot attached. It's a fast computer for most things but I have noticed it does not handle games or OBS well at all, and they take up a lot of CPU when I look at the task manager. Minecraft takes up over 400 percent of CPU just to load.

The lag is absolutely horrible and makes everything I make unwatchable. I'm trying to stream minecraft, though other games won't load either I have reduced video settings in Minecraft to minimal, as well as reduced the kbps, resolution, and framerate in OBS and the lag actually got worse. My computer's fan is running and my computer is overheating.

It cannot be my internet- I have a fast download speed and upload speed, way faster than the minimum to stream.
It isn't necessarily my video settings- I have messed with them and reduced them, which didn't help with lag.
It is not the settings in the game itself- reducing them didn't really help at all.
It isn't my computer's antivirus- firewall is set to accept incoming connections from OBS.

I am running a new version of OBS, I don't actually know if it is the most recent one but I think it is. I got it like a month or so ago.

What am I missing?
please help me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 6.14.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 6.14.08 PM.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 53

Narcogen

Not much you're going to be able to do with that hardware.

Try running the auto-configuration wizard from the Tools menu. If the problem persists, post a logfile containing an complete output session (open OBS, start streaming/recording, confirm issue, stop output, upload Current log before quitting OBS).

Include a log file if you have a problem: here's how

AudioBorg

What source are you using for capturing the game? I was getting horrible streaming and recording frame rates with Window Capture. Using Display Capture instead and it's night and day difference.

Side note: I'm running a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro and recently had to replace the battery. While inside I noticed a decent amount of dirt and dust clogging the heat sinks and fan blades. Used about a half can of compressed air during cleaning and now it's running much cooler. If you've not done that in a while, or ever, you should look into it.