Question / Help OBS Game Capture stuttering and rubber band. Low CPU usage, no dropped frames.

Muwex

I got same problem and display capture just laggs.
Game Capture works with other gamess!
But with Metro Exodus is stutters.
Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 1700X @3.8GHz
16GB DDR4 @2666mhz
RTX 2060 @2100MHz (Mine overclocked like hell!)

kibblz

I got same problem and display capture just laggs.
Game Capture works with other gamess!
But with Metro Exodus is stutters.
Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 1700X @3.8GHz
16GB DDR4 @2666mhz
RTX 2060 @2100MHz (Mine overclocked like hell!)
I think a lot of people are having this problem with Metro Exodus. I just use display capture. It's a lot better than game capture for Metro Exodus. If I use game capture, all that bad stutter shows up on the video. It doesn't show much at all when Im playing... its just the video that shows it... so for now I use display capture.

Muwex

I think a lot of people are having this problem with Metro Exodus. I just use display capture. It's a lot better than game capture for Metro Exodus. If I use game capture, all that bad stutter shows up on the video. It doesn't show much at all when Im playing... its just the video that shows it... so for now I use display capture.
For me, Even display capture laggs,
Maybe I got some settings wrong, but gameplay doesn't lagg, just preview and video.
Different way than game capture.
Been using OBS for years but never seems to master it...

kibblz

For me, Even display capture laggs,
Maybe I got some settings wrong, but gameplay doesn't lagg, just preview and video.
Different way than game capture.
Been using OBS for years but never seems to master it...
Recording is a pain in the ass man. I gave up on it. Mostly because my GPU isn't powerful enough to record 1080/60 AND game at the same time. Most games it goes fine but some games are too much for my GPU and run at 100% then I start getting skipped frames encoding lag. I did Metro Exodus no problem, no skipped frames, couple other games like Sekiro and another. Then I loaded up Hitman 2 and it was fine until I went into an area full of moving grass from the wind. I was getting thousands of skipped frames due to encoding lag. My GPU just couldn't handle recording and gaming at the same time. The game still runs fine no problems even during recording. But the video itself was very bad. So I just come to the conclusion that some games are going to cause me this problem and it's too stressful to continue. The only thing that stopped it was going down to 1280x720 and I'm not playing like that just to record videos.

It's either that or get a new GPU but whatever. I'd rather just forget it and enjoy the game without recording.

darthclide

Not sure if my problem is related, but ALL games I play have random stutter in the preview even without recording. When I record, I watch my preview for stutter (Because it stays smooth most of the time, but the stutter comes in 15-30 second spurts) and then time it to see what the output looks like at the exact moment of stutter. And here is the most CRAZY part: After multiple streams and recordings, at the exact moment of stutter, there is a 50/50 chance it shows up. Sometimes the stream/recording looks perfect in that moment. Sometimes it shows the stutter I saw in the preview.

Progy47

Hello everyone. I know I'm 9 months late here.. But I have been having this same issue with Call of Duty Modern Warfare(2019) since launch. I haven't found a fix anywhere on the internet.

Has anyone found a fix to this yet?

Toastfalter

me too.
Ingame is smooth but the record had some laggs every few seconds. OBS stats say that everything is perfect (rendering and skipped frames under 0,3%).
Ingame FPS set on 60 FPS on 60 FPS record on a 60Hz screen.

Mistiklese

Spent quite some time trying to fix the stutter for myself.
Not sure if this will help everyone.

1. If some of you have streamlabs obs and obs installed. you should uninstall both and search through appdata folder and delete
any files related to streamlabs and obs and do a clean install of obs. Streamlabs and obs interfere with one another.

2. Switch your default media player app to windows media player and use mp4 to record with. there seems to be a frame rate bug with
vlc player and metro media player. make sure Vsync and triple buffering is turned on in manage 3d settings. Will have random screen tearing
if it isn't turned on.

3. make sure you update windows. graphics card and hardware.

4. Make sure to turn off any and all overlays such has shadowplay and steam overlay.

5. if using game capture play all games in full screen. there seems to be a frame rate desync when playing in window mode.

i still get some stuttering when i watch my recordings but there is no stuttering in the recording.
i am a bit exhausted i might be forgetting something. I hope this helps to narrow down the issue
for some of you.

Ronny69

Hello everyone. I know I'm 9 months late here.. But I have been having this same issue with Call of Duty Modern Warfare(2019) since launch. I haven't found a fix anywhere on the internet.

Has anyone found a fix to this yet?
Me too! MW 2019 works terrible with OBS. My footage looks exactly like in the Metro example videos. I tried Overwatch just now....runs perfectly fine with Game Capture.

As described here many times before, I can also see the lag in the preview window, before I even start streaming. The screen capture method works way better. It's still not flawlessly fluid. As many others mentioned as well.

The weirdest thing is that this thread exists since several years. This is the official OBS forum and not once has anyone from their team replied or acknowledged this problem. Since there are clearly many people experiencing this issue?!?

By the way...when I use ShadowPlay to stream, I stream at 1440p with 60 fps, with absolutely no issue what so ever. In fact its buttery perfectly smooth. It just leads to other issues, like de-sync in audio. But it shows that technically it's possible. But somehow OBS can't get their act together and address this issue.

BIGWEI

I am from Taiwan and use Google to translate into English

我認為作者遇到的問題已經存在很長時間了!
我的猜測是,OBS問題本身相對較大
在OBS高級設置圖像中,僅選擇了Direct3D 11,它與DX12分開
我遇到了同樣的問題,它僅發生在DX12遊戲中
我的解決方案《無主之地3(Borderlands 3)》將游戲的FPS設置為70〜80,OBS是遊戲捕獲,並且只能在FPS60以下
簡單來說要完美錄製DX12遊戲,遊戲內必須FPS超過OBS的錄製設定

請問作者是否螢幕擷取可以修復問題嗎?

I think the problem the author encountered has been around for a long time!
My guess is that the OBS problem itself is relatively large
In the OBS advanced settings image, only Direct3D 11 is selected, which is separate from DX12
I encountered the same problem, it only happened in DX12 games
My solution "Borderlands 3" sets the game's FPS to 70~80, OBS is game capture, and can only be below FPS60
To put it simply, to record DX12 games perfectly, the in-game FPS must exceed the OBS recording setting

Can the author fix the problem by taking screenshots?

znstandley13

It blows my mind that nobody has come up with a solution. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and I've gotten nowhere. My logs are clean; no render or encoder issues, yet my recordings still stutter. At the very least, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is experiencing this issue.

AKSKMY

It blows my mind that nobody has come up with a solution. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and I've gotten nowhere. My logs are clean; no render or encoder issues, yet my recordings still stutter. At the very least, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is experiencing this issue.
Agreed, I just played Metro Exodus and thought why my stream keep having this issue. Thought its my CPU/GPU/ OBS settings. But nope. Running on 3700X, RTX 2080S.
Not sure but it seems to help when I turn on V-SYNC. And it kinda helps when I swop from DirectX12 to DirectX11.

Here's my stream on Youtube.

Mistiklese

For me I still get Frame drops when I use display capture and tons of stuttering when using game capture. I still mess around and test it but still doesn't work and get the same thing every time. I mostly used it for recording. Almost a Year now and I miss using it.

fatmatrow

same here with Cyberpunk 2077.
any workaround yet?
I was having the same issue, I think it might be related to raytracing options since games with those options seem to be what i have an issue with, even tho my card doesn't support it. My workaround was the literal dumbest option, that in any other case would make no sense, but since any kind of software hook (window capture, game capture, display capture) all have stutter, I used my capture card hooked up to my monitor's hdmi out, and everything is butter smooth with better render times than using display capture

I was having the same issue, I think it might be related to raytracing options since games with those options seem to be what i have an issue with, even tho my card doesn't support it. My workaround was the literal dumbest option, that in any other case would make no sense, but since any kind of software hook (window capture, game capture, display capture) all have stutter, I used my capture card hooked up to my monitor's hdmi out, and everything is butter smooth with better render times than using display capture
I'd like to record in 4K and my capture card is only 1080p.
I see those stutter mostly on 4k - if I set everything to 1080p it disappears nearly complete. only a very few stutters.

there is no problem with window capture in windows 10 mode but its a little bit slower.
so it has defenetly to do with game capture.

also if i set the fps limit from 60 to 30 the stutter is gone. But still with 40,50 and any other above 30 even though the gameplay is smooth.

so I think it has nothing to do with scene rendering it mus be the game capture itself

BluePeer

There are Multiple Default not OBS Issue Related Problems that make "stutter"
The most is Overload of cpu/gpu/RAM/VRAM
Another is a simple game related Instable framerate (stupid settings)

Bottom you will default not see with GSYNC or Freesync Displays (there adjust the refresh rate to the bouncing instable FPS)
If you have a "Source" for Record (Video is only a timed Picture after Picture)
With a Instable Frame time like a frame every 8/42/18/50/7 ms you record pictures every 16.6ms will look stuttering
If you willing to record a video in 60 fps
it will look perfekt if your game run fix at59-61/70-74/90-93/140-145 FPS
it will get from sometime to massive stutter if your source fps is like 60-90/80-120/90-300
Why? if your FPS is hard means mostly some frames need longer then default
so if you have issue with stutter first try to limit the source to a most as possible stable frametime

The same issue is with game/window/display capture

there have different "modes" of Precissions
its default that the game captures does not work the same like window or display capture
it makes no sense to create 3 different mode if there all make the same
if you use the wrong mode the result is bad

fatmatrow

There are Multiple Default not OBS Issue Related Problems that make "stutter"
The most is Overload of cpu/gpu/RAM/VRAM
Another is a simple game related Instable framerate (stupid settings)

Bottom you will default not see with GSYNC or Freesync Displays (there adjust the refresh rate to the bouncing instable FPS)
If you have a "Source" for Record (Video is only a timed Picture after Picture)
With a Instable Frame time like a frame every 8/42/18/50/7 ms you record pictures every 16.6ms will look stuttering
If you willing to record a video in 60 fps
it will look perfekt if your game run fix at59-61/70-74/90-93/140-145 FPS
it will get from sometime to massive stutter if your source fps is like 60-90/80-120/90-300
Why? if your FPS is hard means mostly some frames need longer then default
so if you have issue with stutter first try to limit the source to a most as possible stable frametime

The same issue is with game/window/display capture

there have different "modes" of Precissions
its default that the game captures does not work the same like window or display capture
it makes no sense to create 3 different mode if there all make the same
if you use the wrong mode the result is bad
-My game is locked at 60 fps, there are no dips when the stutter happens according to the 3 different fps counter, including the in game one.
-All my displays are native 1080p 60hz
-My overhead for cpu and gpu are not maxing out in any of the monitoring software I've tried
-I didn't have this problem a year ago
-Limiting frames in game to something like 60 or 65 doesn't fix the stutter
-It makes no sense that ALL THREE captures don't work, and it will even stutter on a capture card, even when it isn't under a streaming or recording load, this points to a potential OBS issue