Question / Help OBS Game Capture stuttering and rubber band. Low CPU usage, no dropped frames.

fatmatrow

This is a problem than more than a few people are having. I've seen other single pc streamers with similar setups with nary an issue playing the same games. If I could at least know what the EXACT PROBLEM is, and what I could do to fix it, or at least what I would need to do. At this point I'm eyeing replacing my cpu and mobo after upgrading my graphics card in hopes that it solves the problem, but I'm going to be pretty pissed off if at the end of the day I'm left with stutter still. I have spent, in just the last few days, 30 hours trying to find a solution to it thru research and experimenting with a variety of different settings. All improvement is temporary, as it will run fine for maybe 5 minutes, but the second I tab out and back in, stutter is back and there's no way to fix it without restarting OBS. This is not a viable option. I'm getting ready to abandon OBS altogether.

BluePeer

can you upload 2 clips (not YT or something trancoded original record video)
one with game stutte and fps display , another of the hardware usage of the same situation from clip 1 (cpu all core/loads) (GPU load 3D/Graphics/VideoEncode/Vram)
with OBS logs of bottom (if its the same session its fine too)

fatmatrow

can you upload 2 clips (not YT or something trancoded original record video)
one with game stutte and fps display , another of the hardware usage of the same situation from clip 1 (cpu all core/loads) (GPU load 3D/Graphics/VideoEncode/Vram)
with OBS logs of bottom (if its the same session its fine too)
I'm not doing all of that because there's nothing to be gleaned from it. I'm trying to fix this so you can take me at my word.

On further analysis I did disover that I was wrong about the fps lock, and that If the game dips below 60 FPS for even a second (games like call of duty do this briefly when transitioning from a pre game lobby, during cutscenes before matches, etc so i wasn't counting these as they are an accepted thing that happens regardless of pc setup), for the rest of the time the capture method will stutter, and not just in that brief moment, but until you reset it, and until it happens again. OBS doesn't drop its FPS according to the fps counter built in, just the capture method. And this is unrelated to cpu and gpu load, as it will happen when obs is idle and not streaming or recording.

Last edited:
I will make a video of showing the problem with game capture and cyberpunk, also showing this happens with no load/recording and is already seen on preview while gpu load is not 100% and monitor capture works well.

I also had this problem with horror game visage and never seen this before

Brown Man

Any solution to this? I've been trying to fix obs game recording stutter for ages! Warzone is a pain in the ass

Toastfalter

Warzone has been a problem for me for ages.
Possibly I came across something that helped with, however.

I always use OBS as an admin, have GameMode on, limit the FPS and try everything once ...

I also tested the hardware accelerated GPU scheduling, since I use several monitors anyway, one of which is set to 120 Hz and the rest can only be 60 Hz.

Always had laggs with Warzone.

I tested it again today and came across that OBS does not recognize that I have switched it on.
The LOG says that it is OFF.

Then I wanted to look at the entry with regedit (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ GraphicsDrivers) and saw that there was NO (!!!) DWORD file for it.
That was missing ...

I then created one with the name "HwSchMode" and entered 2 for Value Data.

After that, OBS recognized it and then it was really on.

I've just tested it for a round of Warzone and it looks smoother than before.
So now I've switched on GameMode and Hardware Scheduling.

I didn't notice it before because I switched it on in Windows but didn't pay attention to whether it was recognized in OBS.

It may also help one of you.

I used Google translate.

codecexe

Try minimizing obs while recording. For some odd reason it worked for me when my minecraft gameplay was stuttering.